*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1870408-So-this-is-how-it-ends
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1870408
What have I become, my sweetest friend? Everyone I know goes away in the end.
         Her eyes glowed a fierce red, her damp body leaning against a wall as she held her hand to her waist to stop the bleeding. Her breathing was heavy and Legend stood before her, unscratched. "You put up a pretty good fight." He said, slowly getting closer to her. "but not half as good as your pitiful little boyfriend." He snickered. "My sullen, you're in pretty bad shape." He took a step closer to her shaking body. She stood up, grimacing at the pain in the multiple spots legend stabbed her. "C'mon, take a blow." He said, holding his arms open to whatever attack she uses. "You're weak. You don't have the guts to attack, do you? You've let me win all this time, huh. Tell me, where is this boyfriend of yours? You may be weak, but at least you're not a coward." He said, his eyes sly.

         Sullen's eyes flickered and she ran towards him, lashing at him with her knives. Legend dodged and cut her thigh. Sullen ignored it and went towards him again, only for him to cut her shoulder, close to her neck. She stopped, the pain drowning her, blood soaking her. Legend stood there, unscathed still. Sullen looked into his non-glowing eyes. How could someone be so powerful, without even unleashing their power? Sullen thought. "Well?" He said, looking straight into her eyes. Sullen stared back. "If you won't go, I will." Legend almost sang. Sullen still looked in his eyes. An image appearing. Legend stood there, holding a man by his neck, sword though his heart. Glowing red eyes, just a little lighter than Sullens going dim, and Legend drops him.

         "STOP IT!" Sullen shrieks. That was her brother, Tristan. Legend had caught him off guard, and Sullen laid there, helpless as Tristan. There was nothing she could do but lay there and watch her brother die. Sullen dashes to him, but stopping as a familiar voice runs through her head. "Sullen stop!" It says. Sullen looked up. Nathaniel. "Well, look who it is. Finally decide to come help your girlfriend? You're a little late." Nathaniel ignored his comments and went to Sullen. "I'm fine," She said, "I'm fine." Sullen gripped her knives and Nathaniel's eyes glowed a deep grey. "Well then." Says Legend. "Fun's here." He said, and his eyes grow a spectacular green.

         One at a time they went to him, dodging, getting cut, stabbed. It was a full fight, unleashing every amount of power they had. But there wasn't more Sullen could take, everything was becoming fuzzy and she felt she could collapse. As Sullen back up she watched them fight for a few seconds. Then she recognized what Legend was doing, and it was the scene with her brother all over again, except it was Nathaniel. "Nathaniel!" She shrieked, and got in front of the attack. Nathaniel pulled her back just enough for Legend to cut her shirt below her belly button. It's a lover's natural instinct. It happens so fast. "Sullen!" Nathaniel said grabbing her. Her eyes were starting to dim. "he fights the same," she said. "Tristan, it was almost you this time.." Nathaniel looked up at Legend.

         "Gosh, you two are boring me already." Legend said. "It's not 'the way I fight', it's a way I fight. There's a big difference between us. It's power." Legend said, not smiling, snickering, his eyes dimming. "I was going easy on you two. Actually, you did put up quite a fight though, I'm surprised. You guys trained well. But now I'm bored." And in a split second his eyes flared back up again. Then Sullen realized. There's no point in fighting him. Legend's right. Nobody can win against him. Her and Nathaniel are going to die tonight. That's that.

         Sullen thought back to when she and Nathaniel first met. She thought he was crazy, and was actually afraid of him. He had told her of these "kinds" of people who had great strength. Their eyes glowed, and their colors reflected them. Sullen's were red. "Red is the color of fire and blood, so it is associated with energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination, as well as passion, desire, and love." Nathaniel explained. First she thought he was some nerd geek guy, but when she found out he was serious she tried to avoid him. But she found out was the truth, from Tristan. She never really excepted it until about year of knowing and training for this day. How well that went. Sullen looked up at Nathaniel, grey eyes flaming. She could tell he knew it too. Her red eyes were dimming.

         Nathaniel laid her down and walked to Legend. "Still willing to fight?" Legend looked him up and down. Blood soaked, all three of them. Nathaniel would not leave until he ended up like Sullen. Which was bound to happen. He walked over a kneeled down to her. "I love you." He whispered, and kissed her cheek. Sullen closed her eyes. "I love you too." She said. Nathaniel went back over to Legend. Sullen fought herself to not go to sleep, for fear she would die before she saw the end. Yet she could not bear to see Nathaniel fight so viciously with someone who couldn't be cut. Things looked so familiar now. She saw Nathaniel as Tristan, legend's green eyes glowing with no emotion but the joy of killing. Sullen once told herself she would not lose another person she loved. But even now she was losing herself.

         Then it happened. Legend slashed Nathaniel across his stomach sending him down. But Legend caught his neck and pierced his heart. Sullen cried out. That's two people by the hands of one. He dropped Nathaniel and looked over to Sullen who somehow found the strength to stand again. She tried to run but stumbled. She fell against Legend's chest, crying. Once long ago he had a heart. Once, long ago he had loved Sullen with that heart. But she couldn't love him back. That's what turned him cold. Sullen's eyes were back to normal, and so were Legend's. "I don't have to kill you." He said. Sullen was crying hard but she looked at him with distain. She knew that he was giving her a chance to love him, to be with him again. To give him another chance. He had been her best friend who meant everything to her. But Legend saw it in her eyes. The pain, physically and emotionally, anger, loss. He didn't want to see it anymore. He hugged her and whispered in her ear, "I still love you." So this is how my life is going to end, Sullen thought. Then Legend took his sword and stabbed her. Laying her down carefully beside the person he hated, but she loved.

         But perhaps it would've been cruel to keep her alive. Without Nathaniel, and seeing the two people she loved most die by what used to be her best friend's hands.

"I wear this crown of thorns, upon my lair's chair.. Full of broken thoughts I cannot repair. Beneath the stains of time, the feelings disappear. You are someone else, I am still right here. What have I become, my sweetest friend? You could have it all, my empire of dirt. I will let you down. I will make you.. Hurt."
-Johnny Cash, Hurt
© Copyright 2012 SilentSongsOfSadness (sullenscene at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1870408-So-this-is-how-it-ends