*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1871781-What-I-Found-in-the-Woods-Contest-Entry
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1871781
Amazing what you find at the edge of the woods.
         The days in Homer, Alaska grew longer before they grew warmer. So when the sun came out and the temperatures rose, I figured it would be a good day for a walk. I have heard so many people talking about the hiking trails around Homer, but I had yet to go check one out. I mean, I've only lived here for six years.
         I packed up a little picnic, checked to make sure I had a water bottle and left a note for the family telling them I'd be home by dinner time. Sunglasses firmly on my nose and my iPod in hand, I hopped in the car.
         Driving around Homer, it doesn't take very long to get anywhere and I often wonder why people are in such a hurry, but that's something to write about another day. Today was for exploring. I pulled into a parking area along the side of the road and geared up for my hike. I'm not much for trails if there are too many people using it, but I figured I could at the very least start off on the trail and maybe veer from it, even if only a little.
         So I did.
         A little ways onto the trail and what I had initially expected began to happen. People were walking along, talking loudly. How was I supposed to enjoy nature with all these people around? Bloody hell. I decided to go off the beaten path. I'm a pretty good nature girl, I think I can find my way back as long as I keep certain landmarks in sight. Besides, if I got lost, that is what my cell phone was for.
         I didn't go very far off the path when something flitted by my face. I hate bugs, especially flying ones and tried to swat it away. My hand connected with something pretty big for being a bug and I cringed. Having grown up in Arizona with flying cockroaches around, I couldn't help shudder. Problem is, there are no roaches in Alaska and bugs usually aren't very big. So what the heck did I just swat away? I turned around, looking to see if I could spot what had flown at me. Maybe it would be lying on its back, kicking to turn over and fly off.
         I heard something rustle in the dried leaves and against my better judgment, squatted down to take a peek. I pushed back the leaves and was taken a bit aback.
         Huh.
         I never would have thought to find one here!

         I hadn't gone too far on the hiking trail, nor had I wandered too far off of it, so getting back to my car quickly took only a matter of moments. A few tourists stared at me as I jogged out of the woods, gently cradling something against my chest. Make 'em wonder! I didn't want to slow down, I wanted to go home and show my family. I got the key into the ignition with my left hand, I didn't want to keep shifting the poor thing around. I got the car started and backed out. Putting the car in gear left handed was a bit of a challenge, but I managed that pretty well. I got home and was glad everyone was there. I don't think I could have waited for very long to show them what I had found in the woods. And to think it was so close to the trail!
         I about bowled my cats over as I ran inside the house and urged my husband to lock them up in a room. I didn't want them going after my special prize.
         “What in the world is going on?” my husband asked.
         “You'll see!” I told him, grinning from ear to ear. “Come in the kitchen and bring me a towel!”
         “Did you hurt yourself?” he asked me, stepping into the kitchen with the towel I had asked for.
         “No.”
         “Well, then, tell me!” My son entered behind him and I motioned them close.
         “Wait til you see what I found today in the woods!”
         I pulled my hand away from my chest, cupping it lightly with my other hand. I slowly eased them open, trying not to startle the tiny creature within, even though I barely felt movement. Both my husband and my son leaned in close, anxiously peering into my hands.
         She lay on the palm of my hand, strangely serene, her wings folded neatly at her back. Her eyes were large and unblinking as she stared right back at us. I gently placed her on the soft towel my husband had set on the table.
         “Amazing,” my husband said. My son only nodded, the shocked expression on his face priceless.
         “I knew they were real,” I whispered. “I am very sorry I swatted at you. I thought you were a bug!”
         “A bug?” the tiny faerie spoke at last. “Like I have never heard that one before!”
© Copyright 2012 Caledonia Lass (relanda at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1871781-What-I-Found-in-the-Woods-Contest-Entry