*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1871821-The-Offering
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1871821
Could you sacrifice the one you love for the sake of others?
The Offering -1989 Words

Winter is coming. I can feel it in my bones. I roll over in bed, searching with my arms for Juno. He isn't there, of course. It's only been a month since the Harvest Festival, but I can't break myself of the habit.

Sometimes, at night, I can still feel him lying next to me with his arms around my waist and his slow, steady breath in my ear. Then I awaken to a cold, dark room, and all I can do is sob into my pillow until morning comes.

What if you had to sacrifice the one you love for the good of your people? Could you do it, Ayre? Could you watch your husband die?

My father's words are still ringing in my ears when I find myself in the kitchen. Our house is small, meager, for a girl of my nobility, but it's home. I can't bring myself to leave, even after...

There's a sudden knock at the door, but I make no move to answer it. They'll go away eventually. The townspeople all know a black curtain over the front windows means a person is in mourning. I put on a kettle for tea, searching the cabinets for a mug without a chip in it.

Our cabinets are practically bare, but I haven't had much of an appetite lately. The townspeople have been exceptionally kind by bringing me food, supplies, and even a bit of cider for when the nights are especially hard. Most of them have lost someone they loved because of the Offering, but not me. Being a noble, I was always protected. Now, I'd rather die by my own hand than ever go back to the castle.

Juno would not be pleased with me if he knew I was thinking this way. He'd say I was acting like a spoiled little princess, and we'd laugh because that's exactly what I was until I met him. He was the only thing in my life that ever made any sense, and now he was--

"Ayre!"

I hear my mother's muffled voice from behind the door and almost drop my mug. I haven't spoken to her since the day before the ceremony. Although it wasn't an official union, my mother never forgave me for marrying a commoner.

I edge towards the door unsure of what to do. Had she come to gloat? Although my pain would probably please her, I doubt she'd come all this way for the sheer enjoyment of seeing me suffer.

I peek through the curtain, not surprised to see a white carriage parked out front. The coachmen are tending to the horses, but there is no sign her. After a moment, I hear the screen door to our kitchen creek open and my mother's shrill voice calling out for me.

"I'm in here," I say.

"Good gracious!" she exclaims upon seeing me, "You're nothing but a bag of bones!"

I open my mouth to retort, but the words that come out are unintelligible. As strong as I've tried to be through all this, sometimes there's nothing left to do but cry. I look at my mother helplessly, my eyes blurred with tears, and let out a strangled sob. I know this kind of behavior will appear weak to her, but I can't help myself.

"What is it, mother?" I ask, bitterly, "Did you come to revel in my misery?"

"I'm not as heartless as you think," she says quietly, "I had my reasons for not giving you my blessing"

"Yes, and you made those reasons abundantly clear when I saw you last."

"Perhaps I should have been more kind about it," she says carefully, "but, I was only trying to protect you."

"Protect me from what, exactly?" I snap. "From love? From happiness? No, you only wanted to protect the family name. It's all you've ever cared about!"

"That's not true!" my mother protests, " I wanted to protect you from this! I wanted to shield you from the pain of losing the one you love."

"It was a risk I was willing to take." I say, "You couldn't protect me from fate."

My mother sighs, pulling the curtain back and peering outside.

"Your father said you aren't attending the Ritual, is that true?"

"It was what Juno wanted. He didn't want me to see him suffer."

My mother doesn't say anything for a moment, but I can sense she wants to tell me something important. I look up at her, but her eyes are cast downwards towards the ground.

"What is it?" I ask.

"I'm worried," she says, tears springing to her eyes, "I'm worried your father has made a terrible mistake."

"What are you talking about?"

My mother takes a seat in the chair opposite of me. Her tears are falling freely now. I stand to get her a handkerchief, but she motions for me to sit down.

"Juno wasn't the one chosen for this year's Offering," she says, "I overheard your father talking to the Oracle about it. When I confronted him, he told me to leave it be, but I couldn't, darling, I had to tell you."

I'm at a loss for words. For centuries, it has always been the Oracle who casts the ballots for the Offering. Three names are selected and placed in a sealed box. At the Harvest Festival, the Chosen One is revealed and then taken to Terragon for thirty days and thirty nights. What my father did was not part of our sacred tradition. It was murder, plain and simple.

"We live in a bountiful world, all because of the Offering. It's an honor to be chosen, but not like this, Ayre. You must talk to your father. You must get him to change his mind."

I nod, wondering if this was her plan all along. I could be angry with her, I suppose, considering she waited until the very last minute to tell me, but I cannot help feeling gratitude for giving me the chance to set things right. I hug her tightly.

"It's going to be alright," I whisper in her ear, "Thank you, mother."

Stepping out into the brilliant sunlight, I have to squint my eyes. It's strange how much the world keeps changing when time for you seems to be standing still. The trees have already started to turn, and there's a chill in the air. I shield my eyes looking intently towards the mountain. The torches have yet to be lit, which means there's still time.

I start to walk, knowing full and well it will take the rest of the afternoon to reach my destination on foot. If I'm lucky, I'll reach Teragon just before the Ritual begins.

The Oracle will be there, along with my father, but there will only be a small battalion of men monitoring the gates. No one works during Offering Week. It is our opportunity to celebrate the Dragon God for protecting us from another harsh winter. At the castle, there will be a feast and a ball to mark the occasion. Here in the Bog, the townspeople will mourn the loss of one of their own. Only family members of the Offering are allowed to attend the Ritual, which will begin at nightfall.

I make my way along a narrow, winding mountain pass which leads to Gallum, then further north to Terragon. I pass through a succession of tiny mountain villages where men and women stop what they're doing to bow their heads in respect. I do not stop to speak to them; time is not on my side. The sun has already began to set over the mountain peak, and I still have to be searched by my father's minions to proceed.

On the outskirts of Terragon, a squad of soldiers force me to stop. Two men, dressed in armor, with swords slung over thier shoulders, step forward.

"Well, well," the taller one sneers, "look who decided to show up."

"I have every right to be here." I say coldly, "Now let me pass,"

The man hesitates, but motions for his men to put down their weapons.

"Come with me."

He escorts me to the barracks, explaining I will only have a few minutes with Juno before the Ritual begins. At the entrance, he tells me wait a moment while he goes inside. A moment is all I need.

As soon as he closes the door, I'm on the move. I search the grounds for the cage where Juno is being held. When I finally find him, I burst into tears of relief.

"Ayre," he says smiling weakly, "I thought we agreed-"

"Not another word," I hiss, "There's been a mistake. My father-"

Juno clasps my hand through the bars of the cage and looks at me intently.

"Everything is as it should be, my love. You have to trust me on this. I have lived a blessed life, and my greatest gift was knowing you. I have no regrets. Please, just kiss me one last time and go back home. My mother will need you to help her through this. Please, just do as I ask."

"I don't understand," I say, my eyes welling up with tears, "How can you leave me like this? We were supposed to grow old together! You promised! Why would sacrifice yourself when you could stay here with me?"

Juno smiles sadly and kisses the back of my hand.

"I would like nothing better than to stay with you forever, but I can't."

"Why?" I ask.

"Because of the Oracle. He told me the true identity of this year's Offering. It's Denny, Ayre."

Denny, Juno's youngest brother. He's only seven. I fall to my knees, weeping uncontrollably.

"Please don't cry." Juno says gently.

"You're right," I say, but the tears are still trickling down my cheeks.

"Then kiss me, and go find my mother. Take her home and tell her everything is going to be alright. Promise me, Ayre."

"I promise," I whisper, leaning over to kiss him. I cradle his face in my hands, and look at him one last time.

Juno. My heart. My everything.

What if you had to sacrifice the one you love for the good of your people? Could you do it, Ayre? Could you watch your husband die?

I know now that I cannot.

"Goodbye," I say, kissing him once more.

Before he can protest, I am running towards the cave. Nightfall is nearly upon us, and I have only a few moments before Juno realizes my plan.

My father and the Oracle are too busy extinguishing the torches to notice me slip past them into the dragon's keep. I am familiar enough with The Ritual to know once the gate has been closed, the Ritual must begin. There will be nothing they can do to stop it.

As I secure the lock in place, my father looks up and notices me standing inside the cave. There is only one torch remaining, but enough light to see the color drain from his face. He rushes over to me, pounding on the wooden gate.

"What have you done, you silly girl?" he's saying, but tears are streaming down his face.

"I'm doing what's right, father." I say, "Tell the Oracle to begin the Ritual."

"Guards!" my father is yelling, but I have already begun walking. In a few moments I will find the Dragon God and he will eat me alive. After he's picked my bones clean, he will fall back into a year-long slumber, and summer will be here once again.

"Juno," I whisper, "I'm afraid."

There isn't time to worry, however. Instead, I think of my husband and our love. It fills me with such joy, I can scarcely hear the screeching cry of the dragon as he awakens and the Ritual begins.
© Copyright 2012 EstherPrimm (estherprimm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1871821-The-Offering