*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1872682-Springtime-Conspiracy
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Emotional · #1872682
A soldier realizes what he has done.
Tos Paroy stood at attention on the stage as the war commander placed the medal around his neck. The room erupted into applause as they shook hands. Outside the windows a simulator showed an early spring background, masking the scene outside them in the vacuum.

“We are here today to recognize the heroic efforts of General Paroy, in his strategically brilliant attack against our late enemy, the alien species Terren.” Tos stared ahead as the Commander droned on, lapsing into thought; images of the past swirling through his head. The planet had been named after Terren diplomats had used the word Terre to describe it. Not much was known about them, but after it was discovered they were in possession of nuclear weapons, it seemed war was unavoidable. The war was more of an ambush and only lasted five minutes. In truth it started long before that, in small conversations and topics. It happened among Paroy’s people in debates and discussions. There were two sides; the ones that were afraid and those that were not. In the end, fear won out. The Commander was still going on about accomplishments.

“Future generations will think in awe of our actions on this day; our first great victory over an alien species with the use of biological warfare.” Tos was sent down as one of the first visitors to the Terren world. He was the first person to ever meet or shake the hand of an alien, and perhaps the last. He wasn’t sent for diplomacy, but for war; to place a biological bomb with a timed detonation.

He looked at the window again. The hologram still played the spring simulation, the only sign of feign being the slight flicker here and there. His mind turned again to his time on the planet.

When Tos had stepped off the platform, he was greeted by children. The Terren people thought this would be the perfect greeting for such a historic moment; the children of their planet to meet the one to venture from another. One tugged at his sleeve and asked “Do you bring presents?”

He had orders. He could not hesitate. “Only this,” he said, activating the bomb and handing it to the child.

As Tos stared at the simulation he thought of the child. An odd coloration of skin; so very pale…

The simulation flickered again, the faulty station wiring allowing what floated beyond to become visible for a few seconds. Tos saw for a moment the planet Terre. What once was brilliant green and blue was now gray and dead.

He killed them. He killed them all, he killed all those people.

Tos Paroy raised a dark blue hand to his dark blue face as a tear rolled down it.

Softly, he wept.
© Copyright 2012 S. R. Capener (artensa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1872682-Springtime-Conspiracy