*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1873646-Glimmer
by titch
Rated: E · Draft · Fantasy · #1873646
Three words start following you through your life, what will be around the nexr corner...?
It started about three months ago. I can’t say exactly when, what caused it or even who. But those three words, “look behind you.” have stuck with me. Those three words send shivers down my spine. They appeared on my computer screen working their way across the page like ants, embedding themselves deep into my subconscious. From that moment I’d looked over my shoulder, feeling as though someone, something was watching, me.

Everywhere I go they echo around me, people whispering, “look behind you.” as they walk by me. Printed on books, magazines, newspapers, graffitied on the walls I pass, the intensity and frequency growing day by day. Over time it has got intensely worse, screaming through my dreams, waking me from my deepest sleep.

A month later, I woke up, a silver and pearly white bracelet had laced itself around my right wrist, no clasp to relieve its tight clutch. I’d tried everything to release its hold, but nothing shifted it, except- moonlight. I was walking past the window, the moon bigger and clearer than I’d ever seen; the light caught the pearly white glow of the bracelet, my wrist instantly started tingling. The bracelet started squirming as if in pain, untangling itself from my wrist, dropping to the floor; shattering into several pieces. I kneeled down picking them up, as they lay in my hand I glanced at the moon for just a split second, when I looked back at my hand there were fewer pieces. Right in front of my eyes the bracelet was lacing itself back together, becoming three, two, one whole piece. I stood staring, open mouthed, not knowing what to do. My eyes moved over the room looking for inspiration. They fell on the French, round, jewellery box my grandma had given me for my birthday a few years ago. I glanced back at the bracelet wondering if it would fit. I move towards it, my fingers hesitated as they wrapped around the key, turning it slowly. Carefully I lifted the lid, exposing the smooth cream satin that lined the interior. I placed the bracelet gently inside. A snug perfect fit, as though they were made for each other. I slammed down the lid, quickly locking it and removing the key.

I threw the key into my bed side draw. Climbing into bed I pulled the covers over my head, the duvet acting as a barrier from the bracelet. Relieved that my wrist was free once again I slept soundly, not hearing those words echoing though my dream. It was the best night sleep I can remember, sleeping right through until my alarm interrupted.

Sleepily, I stretched. Remembering the events that had unfolded last night my hand flew to my wrist. A sigh of relief washed over me- still free. Waking myself up, I clambered out of bed heading for the bathroom. Washing my face I looked in the mirror my eyes fell on my left wrist. There it was. I stood glaring down at it. Stepping backwards, my knees gave way beneath me, tumbling to the floor with a thud. A few moments later there was a knock at the door “Honey, are you ok?” came a soft, kind voice.
“I’m fine thank you mum.” I replied. I heard her foot steps get quieter as she went down stairs. I stood up rushing back to my room. There was the box, still sat on my window sill; I started looking for the key. I looked back over at the box; it was open, but how?       


© Copyright 2012 titch (titchcorrea at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1873646-Glimmer