*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1874093-childhood-experience
Rated: E · Fiction · Biographical · #1874093
this happened long long ago when I was in grade 4 . A happy day became a sad day
{{i} " Here daughter, keep this  in case u want to buy something "
      Mother took out some two rupee note Took my handkerchief. Folded the note and keeping it  to one corner and put a knot. It was unexpected. Specially in this early morning with lot of excitement .
      We are about to leave for one day school  trip . All by us without parents. All of us the grade 4 students were there near the big red bus standing in a line .There were two buses. Sun is not out yet. Morning cool breeze felt good.

    Two rupees. I have never owned such a big amount of money. So it felt heavy on my little palm. I will spend this only if I really want. I thought. I did my best to keep it without getting lost.
      I got into our bus with others and smiled at my mother who was waiting by the side of the bus. Everything unusual in this nice, happy morning. I am in a bus. Mother is on the ground. We waved each other as we gradually left.
    First we got down near a big temple. It is Kalani ( Kalyani )  viharaya . Lord Buddha has visited once there, we learned.  Then we went to see a suitcase factory. We saw how suitcases are made. The designs were very beautiful. We children were treated kindly by the workers and we got leftover cardboard strips and pieces with colored designs. We gathered those leftover pieces competing with each other for nicer ones. Each one had a bundle to take home.
    Seeing how plates and cups are made was a nice experience we had next. The raw clay was mixed and processed in huge vessels then cups and saucers, plates, tea pots were made out of it. We all lined up and visited all the sections one by one and at last came to the finishing. Flower designs were added by hand. I liked the work and thought if only they give one for me to draw. When the glistening new products are lined up to be packed it was really a nice sight.
      Then we went to few other places I cant exactly remember. The thing I can remember was whenever we got down; children spent their money to buy ice cream or sweets, anything available. I didn’t touch my two rupees because it seems that it is not worth buying such things with this precious money I got. I knew from little days money is earned hard by mother working daily. I was just satisfied with anything my friends or a teacher offered willingly. I didn’t ask anything. Being there was enough for me. 
      We had lunch in an open space. Then we went to see the sea. There we had a nice time Gradually the day was coming to an end. Now we are headed towards back home. It was getting dark now. Then at one spot we stopped for tea.  There I saw a person was making vade ( a food made up from dhal and fried in oil ) They were fresh and nice . Lot of people even teachers bought them. Then I thought I must buy some for the family. The idea was special. I taking something home to give others and make them happy from my money. So finally I decided to undo the knot in my handkerchief. I came back to the bus happily with eight vades in a paper bag hot and fresh with a pleasant smell. I didn’t eat any. It coasted me fifty cents. Now I am left with one rupee and fifty cents. My folded note has turn in to two coins. One big and one small. Silver color.
      Now it was almost dark and we were coming back. The bus was going fast. When two coins touched each other it made a beautiful sound. I did it to a rhythm while thinking about things we saw and impatient till I describe all those things to others at home. Then there was some accident or something has happened on the road. All the people stood from the seats and started to peep through the windows.  I was in a corner so I too got up and looked. Bus was going fast  It was nice to stand there and to have a look all the trees are running the other way. Sunset has made the sky with vivid colors. So I was there standing and experiencing beauty of the seen two coins in my hand was touching each other and making twinkle  sound. Bus was running fast.

    Suddenly in no time both coins slipped through my fingers. It went with the wind. No way to grab it. No one to tell. It happened so sudden. I felt like crying but I didn’t. It was my fault. I should have been more careful with such a lot of money. I wanted to give back it to my mother to show what a good girl I am and I know it is useful for her.
    Big emptiness filled my little heart. I knew what sadness means for the first time. Rest of the journey was not that good. I just fallen back to the seat and kept my eyes closed and thought of my precious little coins hiding in the grass. Someone may take those and be happy or it may lay there for long time without picking up by anybody.

      It was a consolation when I saw my mother in the school premises. I got down from the bus carrying my treat for others in one hand and my bag with the other. Then we went home. My heart was heavy. May be I was silent than my mother expected. She must have thought her little girl is too tired by this long journey.

                                             
                                                                                                   
© Copyright 2012 rasadari (rasadari at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1874093-childhood-experience