*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1874700-The-Cosmonaut
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Dark · #1874700
Abandoned amongst the stars, where the womb of space brings no warmth.

Abandoned amongst the stars, where the vast womb of space brings no warmth. My rescue may have been possible, had I completed my repairs to the engine. Instead I misplaced my foot whilst cutting into the hull and managed to sever my support wire. It has been a while since I could see my shuttle.

So much for my five year plan. I have always been somewhat uncoordinated, though I have never come close to a mistake as grand as this. It would seem my greatest error is to be my last.

At first I couldn’t see the stars. Then they were all I could see. Then came the colours and shapes, and for a while I enjoyed them. Darkness flooded over like ink introduced to water. Grotesque images formed, followed by the misery and the shifting and the eyes watching from the depths of the cosmos. I tried to swim from them, but remained on my trajectory. There came heavy breathing on the other side of the intercom. I challenged it but received no response.

My fate will bring no tears to my parents’ eyes, our ties cut when I revealed to them my atheism. I imagine they would be indifferent to the fact my last breath could come any minute; on my readout, my oxygen levels have long since depleted.

I flinch as the light in my helmet goes with a pop, and its familiar hum is taken from me. In the shadow of Earth, I am left in silence. Repeatedly I am convinced I see the white of the shuttle in my peripheral vision.

Then I awaken beside my wife. I am about to tell her of my dreadful nightmare when I am again suddenly in space. Around me constellations throb and skew, and there is the pulse of distant industry. I flinch again as my intercom spits and become aware of how heavy I breathe. I stare into the darkness as I try to regulate my lungs, ignoring the permutations and the nausea and the abhorrent displays. My helmet seems to be filling up with milk.




© Copyright 2012 huntermartin (huntermartin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1874700-The-Cosmonaut