*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1875094-Garden-Paradise
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1875094
An irresistible garden paradise.
“Garden Paradise”


         The tiny island wasn’t on the chart, but it looked too inviting to pass up. Something caught the lone traveler’s eye as he navigated towards the cove. At the top of the cliff there was a garden full of sculptures, overgrown with jungle vines and tropical flowers. He had to see them.

         From the beach below it seemed that climbing the small cliff would’ve been easier. Coming over the edge he rolled over onto his back, covered in sweat, dirt and scratches. The sun beat down making the heat almost too unbearable to rest. He rose to his feet and took a look out over the ocean; it was such a beautiful view. He turned his attention back to what drew him there, the garden of sculptures. It was an odd scene upon closer inspection. He noticed one portion of the garden ground seemed charred with new growth coming up in a perfect ring along the edge. In the middle of the ring stood one of the human-like leathery sculptures.

         As he walked about he came to a frightening realization: these sculptures had agony in their faces. Wiping sweat from his eyes, he thought “Is the sun making me feel this hot? Wait.” as he touched one sculpture and then another. A feeling of dread came over him. He realized he was touching skin.

         Suddenly, a thundering sound began at his feet, instantly enclosing him within an asphyxiating vortex of fire. Air and moisture sucked from his body, the searing heat contorting him in agony, his skin turned to dark leather. As quickly as it came, the flames dissipated upwards towards the heavens. Fresh scorch marks perfectly encircled him on the ground. A new sculpture added to the garden.

         Seeing smoke, another vessel on the horizon turns towards the island.

© Copyright 2012 Dobie Mom (dobielove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1875094-Garden-Paradise