*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1875898-Trial-By-Fire
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Camuel
Rated: ASR · Sample · Fantasy · #1875898
In the dark city streets no one will here you scream.
Trial by fire


The rain was crashing down into the dark city streets. I walked though one of the many back alleyways’s passing the homeless and destitute huddled around barrel’s bursting with flame, I pulled out a cigarette and bent down to take a light.
“Mind if I take one of those” Said one of the men huddled around the fire.
I pulled out the packet from the inside of my jacket and threw them at him
“Keep them” I grunted fighting though a cold I could feel was coming.
“Thanks friend” he said with gratitude.
I always felt it was nice to do something for the people less fortunate than you just don’t get caught in conversation. With that I headed out of the alleyway onto the main road, it was deserted apart from the few car’s out this late at night splashing up and down the road. It had been raining know for about two week’s straight but it was always raining here some people complained but it was normal to me know.
Upon reaching the local pub I darted inside to escape the rain even for a few minute’s, pulling my leather jacket off I threw it into one of the empty booth’s by the door with a splash and walked up to the bar.
“Nice weather we have been having” John said sarcastically
“What will it be today?”
“Whisky” I grunted still feeling the cold
“Coming up” Said john turning to get my drink
He was a pleasant enough man, ran the pub ‘Hogshead’ for about fifteen year’s the way he tells it. The bar looked old the bar stool’s were faded and the red paint was pealing off the wall’s you know the kind of place a real dive but with lot’s of character. He wasn’t that tall and pretty big round the middle I never saw him in anything else other than a faded checked shirt, jean’s and boot’s. His hair always looked like it had been cut the same day but he had a unkept and messy beard witch just made me like him all the more.
“So how’s thing’s” He said splashing the whisky down onto the bar.
“Awww you know how it is same old shit different day” I said with a grin, downing the whisky sitting infrunt of me.
“Give me another”
After picking up the whisky and handing john the money for them I went to return to my jacket having forgot I had givin my cigarette’s to a homeless man not five minute’s earlier. As I turned round I noticed someone sitting were I had left it. Walking over I could see that he had long black hair, when I got to his front I noticed that his face looked weathered like dark leather and his hair clung to it with water running all over the table.
“Sorry brother can I just grab this” I said reaching over to grab my jacket
“Yes brother” He said his voice quivering off into a whisper
As I grabbed my jacket my eyes’s caught his but his eyes’s just seemed empty and to stair right though me. A big smile crept over is face and with no word’s he stood and walked out the main door. I sat, downed the whisky and waved at john for another when I noticed a card sitting on the table, I picking it up and realised it was laminate and blank and after flipping it over I noticed it had some scrawled writing on it:

“We Will
See you
soon
.C.”


As I read a very cold shiver went up my spine. I slid the card into my pocket
“Forget the drink” I shouted pulling on my jacket witch was still heavy and wet with rain. I stood and headed back out into the dark rainy city witch was always there to greet me.
© Copyright 2012 Camuel (camuelakalin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1875898-Trial-By-Fire