*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1876309-Twelve-Miles-from-the-Fire
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1876309
A Nightingale sings
Lydia stood on the log cabins front porch and watched the flames lick at the tops, as the smoke rose in a single column above the forest. She inhaled the scent of burning wood mixed with other less pleasant aromas. Perched in the rose bush beside the steps, a nightingale sang oblivious to the burning forest. She glared at the bird and then went into the cabin.

“Roy,” she said to her husband, who was just finishing his breakfast, “the fire looks like it’s about twelve miles away and headed in this direction. We’d better leave while there’s still time to escape.”

“Is the nightingale still singing in the rose bush?” He poured himself another cup of coffee.

“Yes.”

“Then we’re safe, Sweet Heart,” he poured coffee into her cup, “sit down and let’s finish breakfast, before the neighbors begin arriving.”

“Roy, we’re in the path of the fire, the neighbors won’t be....” There was a knock on the door. Lydia went to the door and opened it slowly.

“Lydia, it’s good to see you,” said a red headed woman carrying an obviously pregnant calico cat, “I see the nightingale is still singing.”

“Uh... yes... Come in, Nora and bring Precious with you.”

“You might want to leave the door open,” Nora put Precious down next to the fireplace and then took a seat at the table. “I passed Brock and CeeCee a mile or so back. He was trying to convince her to go into town rather then come here.”

“That’s because the fire is headed toward us and not Pine Junction,” Lydia went to the dresser and began to pack a bag.

“Lydia,” Nora took her hand and lead her back to the table, “calm down. As long as the nightingale sings, we’re safe. Didn’t Roy explain to you about the singing birds and this cabin?”

“On our wedding day, Roy told me a lot of myths this area, but that doesn’t mean I believed them.”

Two nightingales and a robin flew through the open door and perched on the mantel. The birds began singing, while Precious looked up at the birds before curling up and going to sleep.

Lydia when out on the porch and then backed quickly into the house, “Roy,” she was trembling, “there are wolves in the front yard!”

“Are they blocking the path to the house?”

“No, they’re just laying in the yard.”

“Then don’t worry about it, Lydia,” he said as he got up from the table and went to his wife’s side. “I expect we’ll have a lot more wildlife in the yard before this fire’s out.” He kissed her on the cheek and then picked up an oak staff that was sitting beside the door.

“Roy,” Lydia placed her hand on his arm. “Where are you going?”

“I expect CeeCee needs some help convincing Brock to come here instead of Pine Junction.” He hugged her then turned to the door just as Brock and CeeCee stepped onto the porch.

“We’re here,” said Brock glancing nervously at the wolves and other wildlife gathering peacefully in the yard. “However, I still think ...”

“Don’t think,” said CeeCee “just sit down on the porch and relax.” She went into the house, while Brock joined by Lydia sit down on the top step to watch the fire. As they watched, the fire began to change directions moving slowly toward Pine Junction rather then Nightingale Clearing.

Word Count:570
© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1876309-Twelve-Miles-from-the-Fire