*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1876322-SAMHAIN
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Novella · Fantasy · #1876322
Four children set out to prove the rite of Samhain is still practiced in their county.
      I glanced out the window at the Hunters' moon. The huge orange orb hung in the sky like a forgotten decoration from last year’s Halloween. The dark clouds scurried past bringing a shiver up my spine.
"Da?"
I looked to my ten year old daughter. I smoothed the hair from her brow while bringing her quilt up to her chin to ward off the draft.
"What, Effa?"
"Back a long time ago, when you were little, did they have Halloween?"
I smiled at the time reference and chucked her under her chin. I'm only thirty after all.
"Yes, lass, we had Halloween. I would dress up as a wizard and your aunt Colleen would be a sprite."
"Well, if they had Halloween that long ago, how about when Nana was little?"
Now I laughed out loud.
"Yes, Effa, Nana had Halloween too. Maybe you should ask her about it tomorrow."
She nodded her head but seemed doubtful.
"You know, Effa, the celebration of Halloween started centuries ago among the Celts of Europe. Right here in Ireland our long ago relatives celebrated the festival of the dead. Once all the livestock were sheltered and the crops harvested for the winter months, then the celebration would begin. It was called Samhain (Sah-ween) and was a very special holiday of the Celtic year. Here the belief was that the spirits of the dead were able to walk among the living because at this time the souls would travel to the otherworld."
I watched her as I told her the story my own da told me at her age. Effa is an adventurous little girl, but I still wanted to be certain I was not frightening her.
"Now, there were good spirits and bad ones too. So our ancestors would leave out gifts for all the spirits to take with them on their journey. They would sacrifice animals, and leave fruits, and vegetables, light bonfires to keep them away from the living and aid them on their way.
It was the common belief that during the long dark night, demons and fairies, known as Sidhue, would roam the woods with the spirits. They would frighten the living as well as play tricks on them. When the Christian priests arrived here they let us keep our day and combined it with their own holiday of All Saints Day, referring to all that is hallowed. Samhain became known as All Hallows Eve."
Effa's eyes were round and huge, much like my own must have been. She was enthralled with the tale so I continued.
"Nowadays, we simply wear costumes and announce to each house our desire for sweets, or they will get a trick instead. No one practices the old way of Samhain anymore. Halloween has been the innocent version of the pagan Samhain for a very long time. So, my little one, you do not need to worry on All Hallows Eve."
She smiled at me with the corners of her mouth barely lifted. Her eyes seem to focus inward.
"Did my tale scare you?"
"No, da, it was really cool."
I chuckled as I tucked her into her warm bed.
"You go to sleep now." I whispered as I planted a kiss on her forehead.
"Night, da."
At the door I turned backed as I just thought of something.
"What is ma making for you to wear for Halloween?"
I could see her face clearly in the moonlight and her dimples as she smiled at me.
"I am going to be a wizard."
I laughed as I closed her door. A wizard, just like me, my girl, my first born, so much like me in every way imaginable. She has the same dark curly hair, deep blue eyes, rosy cheeks, full lips and dimples. Sometimes when I look at her it's as if I look into a mirror.

                                  * * *

Effa snuggled deep into her quilt. The shiver continued to run up her back scaring her as well as exciting.
Tomorrow I will talk to Brian, Sean and Maggie. I'll tell them this story and we can go into the woods to look for clues.
With her mind made up, she turned to watch the sky.
The naked tree limbs outside her window clicked their bony fingers, tapped the glass and danced across the face of the dark orange moon.
She closed her eyes with the image of the sprites and fairies flitting about the woods. Soon the demons and spirits joined in the dance and her heart began to race.
           
                                    ***

Brian Mulligan, Sean O'Malley, and Maggie Cochrane were Effa's closest friends. The only time they were not together was at night while they slept. Sometimes da would let the four of them sleep in the tree house in the backyard.
"I have an adventure for us. But I'm not sure how to ask da." Effa said on a low breath.
"What kind of an adventure, Effa?" Maggie whispered back.
"Well, I am going to either ask da if we can sleep in the tree house Halloween night, or if I can sleep at your house, Maggie."
"Do you think he would let us? It might be too cold." asked Sean.
"Well, that's the tricky part. If I ask him, and he says no, then I may not be able to ask if I can sleep at Maggie's."
"What do you mean?" Brian nearly shouted.
"Shush. I mean he would think I may be up to something, so then would make me stay home. I want to make sure he says I can sleep at Maggie’s or says we can sleep in the tree house."
"But what good is it to sleep at Maggie’s? You will still be inside, just a different house." Brian whispered.
"My parents will think I am sleeping at Maggie’s, but if you ask to sleep at Sean’s and Sean ask to sleep at your house? Do you get it?"
"Ah, yes, okay."
"I get it now too." Maggie giggles.
With a smirk Sean nods his head.
"So, what do you think is the best plan? Ask my da about the tree house? Or, ask if I can stay at Maggie’s?"
"Stay at Maggie’s." All agreed.
"So, Effa, tells us just why we are plotting this adventure?" Sean queried.
"Once I tell you the story da told me, you will understand completely. Let's go to our special place and I will tell you."

                                * * *

They sat cross-legged on the moss by the pond. Technically the woods were off limits by all their parents, but since the pond was really a short distance from Effa's grassy yard, they sort of had unspoken permission.
With the frogs, insects, and the cawing of the crows adding a true creepiness, Effa repeated the story verbatim.
"I don't know, Effa. It sounds like you want us to go much farther into the woods," whispered Brian. His green eyes are huge, his cheeks flushed. His short brown hair stood in low spikes atop his head. Brian's fingers trembled as he swiped at his nose.
"Most likely that will happen, Brian. But really, we aren't afraid, right?" Effa asked.
"Maybe a little." Maggie said with a voice that shook.
"I'm not scared at all, Effa. I will go with you. All we have to do is make sure we have all we will need. Like a flashlight, mittens, blankets, water and things like that so we don't get lost or cold and  something to help us build a shelter if we need to. This sounds like a true adventure!"
"Ok, Sean, you and I are in. What about you two?"
"I'm in." Maggie added with little enthusiasm. She seemed to quiver from her red curls to her princess sneakers. Not the bravest of the four friends, but the most loyal for certain.
Brian hesitated for a minute, and then shook his head.
"I think it's a bad idea. I'm not going."
"Alright, Brian, maybe on Halloween night you could sleep with your phone nearby. We can call you if we get into trouble and you can send help. But for the days until Halloween, you're coming with us to search the woods, right?"
Brian reluctantly nodded his head.
As usual, all four were in complete agreement.

                                  * * *


After dinner that night, Effa began to clear the table while her parents finished their tea.
"Da, do you think I can sleep at Maggie's house Halloween night?"
"I don't think so, Effa. Your ma and I are stopping in at a grownup party at the Mulligan's, so I think you should stay here with your brother and sister."
"The Mulligan's? Brian didn't say his parents were having a party."
"Perhaps he doesn't know. His mother was thinking of sending him to his cousin's house for the weekend."
"But they can't do that! We always trick or treat together!"
"Effa, calm down, nothing is for certain yet. Since Brian isn't aware of this plan, then they probably have already changed their minds."
"I have the most brilliant idea, da. I could stay at Maggie's, and Brian can stay at Sean's, then we can have our fun and the grownups can have theirs. Isn't that perfect?"
"That was quick thinking, Effa. But this is not only up to us. I think it best that you stay here."
"But, da..."
"Let her go, Liam. It's only one night. Not a school night either."
I think about it briefly as I put my cup in the sink. With a sigh I give her our permission.
"If it's alright with the Cochrane's then it will be alright with us."
"Yea! This is going to be so much fun."
"They haven't said yes, Effa."
"I know, but they will. They always give in to Maggie."
I winked at my wife as I announced, "I'm very glad we are not like that at all."

                                        ***

It is one week before Halloween and Effa is plotting their adventure into the woods.
“Okay, Sean, you are always the most prepared for hikes. What do you have in your schoolbag so we can make sure we have the same?”

      Sean knelt on one knee and unzipped his satchel. “I have two water bottles, two of my sisters energy bars, two apples, a rain slicker, one man tent, matches and a small pot.”
“Wow. Okay, I have to go back inside to grab more things, how about you Brian? Maggie?”
“Yeah, I’ll be right back.” Brian announced over his shoulder as he headed home.
“Wait up, Brian. I’ll walk with you.” And Maggie was off as well.
“We’ll meet you at the pond you guys.”
“Wait at the pond, Sean. I’ll be right there.”
Effa rushed in the back door. Her mother was busy wiping the breakfast dishes, but stopped to watch her.
“Where are you going, lass? You seem to be in quite a rush this morning.”
“We’re going to hike in the park off Sycamore Dr. We are planning a picnic too. What can I take for my lunch?”
“Well, if you put your lunchbox with the freeze pack in your schoolbag, then you may bring cheese and a chunk of fresh baked bread. Here, you can take these bottles of water as well along with this apple.”
“Great idea, ma.” Effa told her as she packed her school lunchbox.
“We won’t be back until late afternoon, but we have our phones and will keep in touch.”
“That’s fine, Effa. Have fun.”
Once at the pond, she sat by Sean to wait for the others.
“Did you get everything the same as me?” asked Sean.
“Not everything. I will have to make do with what I have for today. But tonight I will gather the other things.”
With twigs snapping and giggles mixed with chatter, Brian and Maggie came into view.
“I hope you two will be much quieter in the woods. We are searching for clues, but we don’t know where this meeting will take place or if anyone will be scoping out the area.”

“Aye, we’ll be quiet.”
Effa takes out her school notepad and draws a simple circle and marked it ‘pond’ and they are off.
The four walk to the west, Effa marks the page in her book with arrows and certain tree shapes or sizes to indicate where they have searched.
As the sun rose directly overhead, they sat to eat their lunches.
Brian pulled a plate, fork and glass from his bag. The others watched him as he took out a small chicken breast, cup of mashed potatoes, bowl with mixed eggplant, peas and carrots, and then a small jar of gravy to pour over the mix. A pint bottle of milk was then opened and poured into the glass.
As he filled his fork and brought it to his opened mouth, his eyes fell upon his friends.
“What?” he asked.


“You cannot be serious, Brian. No wonder your bag clanked. Look at what we brought.”
Each took out their lunches, Maggie, a jam and banana sandwich, apple and water bottle, Effa her cheese, bread and water bottle, and Sean his energy bar with water bottle.
“This is a mission, not a picnic in the park. That was only to tell our parents. We won’t wait for you to wash your things.”
As she chewed her cheese and bread, Effa looked at their surroundings.
Mostly pine trees, one holly and two ivy trees. Rather dark here. This would be a good spot for a ritual except it’s only a matter of meters from the edge of the woods.
With lunch done and bags hefted, they began to walk again. On her book Effa noted the trees at this spot and the little pile of rocks facing east that she placed at the base of the only holly tree.
She stopped to look at her friends.
“Sorry, Brian, but we need to go deeper into the woods. We can see the backyards all along the rim of the trees, so we know no one would have a secret meeting here.” Effa announced.
With an audible gulp, Brian nodded his head. No one else spoke, they just angled from where they now stood and headed deeper into the forest.
When they stopped to rest and have a pee break, Effa took out her phone to call her mother. She had to leave a message since the house phone was unanswered.
“Hi, ma, we finished lunch a time ago, but we’re continuing a bit longer with our hike. We will be home before dark for sure.”
I barely had enough of a signal to make that call. What happens if we go deeper? What will happen Halloween night?

They walked for another two hours as Effa took careful notes of where they were and landmarks around them.
“I think it’s time to head back now but first I’ll climb this tree to see how far we still have to search.”
Placing her bag on the ground, Effa expertly jumped high enough to grab the lowest branch. Within minutes she was near to the top with a perfect view of the forest ahead of them.
“It looks as though we have nearly gone to the edge of the forest for this direction.” She shouted down to the others.
Once on the ground she wiped her hands on her jeans. “I think we should keep going. We don’t have more than a few kilometers and we’ll be out of the woods. We can walk back from there.”
All agreed with their team leader and shouldered their bags to continue on.
An hour and a half later they reached the end of the woods. They came out to the back yard of a house in Castlerea.
“Sean, did you bring any money?”
‘I do have a little, why?”
“How about you two?”
“I don’t have any,” announced Brian.
“I have a few euros in my sneaker. Does that help?” Maggie said in her soft voice.
Effa looked at her friend closely. Maggie is so sweet, accommodating, and sincere.
I can count on her, no questions asked. We all can count on her.
“Yes, Maggie, that will help a lot.”
“What are you thinking, Effa?” Sean inquired.
“I think it’s too late to try to walk all the way home. We’ll never make it before dark. So let’s look for a bus station here, together we may have enough to buy four tickets home.”
They walked another half hour and soon found a strip of shops. Entering the first one, Effa asked where they might catch a bus to Ballymoe.
“Well, lass, simply go down to the end of this street and you will see the only brick building. There you can catch your bus.”
Thanking the woman, they rushed out and down the street.

It didn’t take them long to find the building and rush up to the ticket window.
“Good afternoon, sir. Could I please know how much I need for four tickets to Ballymoe?”
“You need to be 18 to purchase tickets. Where are your parents?”
“Ah, sir, we hiked from Ballymoe through the woods. Lost all track of time. Came out just a bit from here, but we will never be able to get home before dark if we have to walk.”
“Well then, you should call your da and have him pick you all up.”

Dejected, they walked outside to sit on the stoop.
“What now?” Maggie asked in a hushed tone.
“We have to walk or call one of our fathers.”
"No. I will call my cousin Mac, if he isn't doing anything, I'm sure he will pick us up."
"Do you really think he will come this far for us, Sean?"
"Aye, I'm sure."

Forty minutes later they sat in Mac's old car as it pulled out of the small station.
Effa watched the sky darken and knew she was in big trouble.

* * *



It was full dark when Mac dropped Effa at her house. She walked slowly toward the side door. Through the kitchen window she could see her ma and da drinking their tea, so she knew she missed supper totally.
Effa dropped her bag in the mud room and with head down walked to face her doom. She stood still in front of her parents.
"Where have you been, Effa?" Da's voice was low and calm. Not a good sign.
"We hiked as far as Castlerea, sir."
"Castlerea?" da shouted, "You told your ma you were hiking the park."
"Yes, sir, but we took a left and just kept going. We were having fun and lost all track of time. I'm so sorry. My phone wouldn't work." Effa sniffed.
"Let me see your phone, Effa."
She handed him her phone, worried that she didn't drain the battery enough.
"Your battery is low but if you were on the main road from the park to Castlerea, your phone would have enough battery life. Were you on the main road or were you in the woods? Tell me the truth Effa."
"We were in the woods, da, but not deep. We could see the back yards the whole entire way."
"Go to your room, Effa. I hope you took enough bread and cheese because that's all the food you get today."
Effa grabbed her pack from the mud room and headed to her bedroom feeling like she got off lucky.
But an hour later her father stood in her doorway, and she knew what her punishment would be.

                                    ***
At breakfast, Effa sat down gingerly. Her da had already left for work, and her ma was silent unless she spoke to six year old, Brigid or three year old, Jamie.  This was a day off from school for a teachers meeting.
"May I stay out back with Sean, Maggie and Brian?"
"If they are allowed out of their own yards, then yes, but don't you dare leave."
Brian was not allowed out of the house, but Sean and Maggie arrived an hour later.
They sat by the pond, not a word between them for a long while.
"I'm sorry I got us all into so much trouble." Effa whispered.
"I'm not. Since I had to stay in my room, and da didn't say anything about the computer, I spent a long time researching Samhain." Sean whispered back.
"Really? My computer was not even in my room anymore. I don't know where da put it. What more did you find out?"
"Well, first of all, in the ancient times, we Celts would dress up as demons or monster looking creatures to make the spirits think we were the same as them and leave us alone. That's where the idea for our costumes came from. Then I saw some of what your father said, Effa. Then I found a new site, I don't know how real it is, but it scared me."
Maggie and Effa leaned in closer to Sean.
"What was it, Sean?" Maggie said with a catch in her voice.
"It's a site, or a blog, actually, by a journalist. He doesn't say which paper or magazine he works for, doesn't really say much about himself. But he believes he has proof that Samhain is still being practiced in different counties in Ireland and Scotland. He said sacrifices and dark rituals were being practiced in a county not too far from us. At the end of his blog he warned all parents to keep their children in after dark on Halloween. He said this is when the cult seeks humans to sacrifice."
"I'll admit that is really scary, Sean, but we don't know how true it is, or if maybe this person is simply a crazy header. When was it written?" Effa asked.
"Two weeks ago."
"That could either be perfect timing for a header or a warning."
"That's what scared me a little, that and the fact that it is taking place only one county over."
"We need more information, Sean. Find out all you can, and I will do what I can on the computer at school tomorrow."
“No, Effa. If you get caught at school it will ruin everything. Leave it to me, as long as I have my home computer I'll keep researching. Why don't you ask your da if you can have your computer back? Say you need it for school work."
"That's a grand idea. I will ask him, probably tonight. I brought my map here with me, plus a street map of the area around these woods. Let’s plot our next outing. We'll need to make it a good one, because I think we'll only get Halloween day."
"Effa, did you get grounded?" Maggie asked in her singsong way.
"Not officially, yet, but I think it's coming tonight."
"I'm not grounded, Effa, and if Maggie's not grounded either, then she and I can go into the woods tomorrow after school."
The look on Maggie's face showed the opposite of her words.
"Ok, Sean."
"Obviously Brian is grounded. I will let you know tomorrow if I am too.
Now, look at this map, see all the wooded area? If you follow from here to Castlerea, you can see just how much we covered yesterday. That's a lot of ground." Effa said with pride.
"Now, whoever goes next should travel this way."
"West? I know it will be different ground, but the same direction. You have a hunch this will happen in the west?"
"I don't know for certain, Sean, but, yes, I do have a feeling."

                              ***
I approached the three kids with snapping twigs and crunching leaves, as loudly as I could.
"Effa, you will head to your room now."
I watch her sidle by me and run to the house. I look at the two upturned faces before me.
I sighed as I lowered to the ground.
"Obviously, I know that Effa told you my story. My da told me when I was your age, and my friends and I searched these woods for months. I understand the challenge, the mystery and the rush of being scared. Today is different from when I was a lad. We never locked our doors at night; we could sleep out in the back yard without a parent watching over us. I'm sorry to say, it's not like that today. I don't like being angry with Effa, with any of my kids, but I worry as every parent does. I'm going to call your fathers as soon as I get back to the house. I wasn't planning on eavesdropping, but I overheard your tale. I can't let any of you go into the woods. I don't believe Samhain is being practiced here or any other county, but I don't know what is in these woods, so they are off limits.
Both of you go home now. You'll see Effa at school in the morning but not after. Effa will be remaining in the house until I decide otherwise. We will see about trick or treating on Saturday."
Without waiting for any word from the kids, I stood, brushed my trousers off and headed back to the house.

I stood in the doorway of my daughter's bedroom. I could see her, hands folded on her lap as she sat in the chair by the window. I know she saw me sit down and speak to her friends.
"Stand up, Effa."
I sat down in the vacated chair and pulled her onto my lap. As she burst into tears I rocked her.
When her tears slowed to a low sniff, I lifted her head from my chest to look into her face.
"I know your plans. Consider them gone. You will go to school each day, and I will pick you up and drop you at home. You will remain in your room until I come home from work. If you need computer time for schoolwork, I will sit with you while you do it. No free time on the computer. I have told you before that the woods are off limits; maybe I made a mistake letting you go as far as the pond. No more. You will not so much as touch a tree on the rim of the property. Don't let me catch you in the woods, Effa; please don't put me in that bind, because I will punish you. What you got last night will seem like birthday spanks compared to what you will get if you disobey me. Understood?"
Unable to speak as her constricted throat closed tighter, she burst into tears as her head nods in understanding.
I rock her a while longer praying to God that she will leave this alone.

                                              ***
When Effa hopped onto the bus, she hurried to sit with Maggie. They turned in their seats to face Sean and Brian in the seats behind them.
"What happened at the pond, Sean?”
"Well, your father told us that when he was young, he and his friends searched these woods for months and found nothing. He said things were different then and that the woods are too unsafe now. He also called our parents."
Effa looked to Maggie for confirmation.
"Aye, I'm now grounded from the time I get out of school until I go back to school in the mornings. I'm also grounded all day Saturday, and I don't know if I can trick or treat Halloween night."
"I wonder if that was the advice your father gave our fathers, because that's what my da said too. Only he also took my computer away." Sean commiserated.
Brian had been quiet this whole time but spoke up now.
"Are ya sure he didn't speak to my parents first? That has been my punishment since Castlerea."
"What are we going to do, Effa?" Maggie asked.
"I don't know. I need time to think about all this. I just know I can't let it go. I need to be in those woods Halloween night no matter what."

                                      ***
After four days of confinement, they got their chance. During school on Friday, Sean was able to get in touch with the blogger. In an email, the man told Sean a chat room to enter and to look for the user name of 'Peace and Love", Sean found the user quickly.
Peace and Love: How are you Sean?
Dark Warrior: I'm fine, thanks. Are you the blogger?
Peace and Love: That I am, lad.
Dark Warrior: What more can you tell me about your blog?
Peace and love: I can tell you where I think the meeting will take place. Would you like to know?
Dark Warrior: More than anything! My two friends and I want to be in the woods that night to witness this meeting. Do you want to come with us?"
Peace and love: That sounds like a plan, Sean. Where to do you live?
Dark Warrior: We live in Ballymoe.
Peace and Love: Perfect! I'm not too far from there. Name a place that I can find and you can get to and I'll meet you there.
Dark Warrior: The town library. It's on Devon Rd. It's a typical library building, but there is a huge garden in front, you can't miss it.
Peace and Love: Well, then, I will meet you there at 9 p.m. Can you three do that?
Dark Warrior: I'm not sure yet. I will check with the others and get back to you. Can you be at this site tomorrow afternoon around 3?
Peace and love: I'll be here Sean. Try hard to arrange a meet. This will be our only chance this year.
Dark Warrior: I will, I promise.
Sean could hardly wait to tell the others. At lunch he told his news.
"I don't know, Sean. What if he really is a crazy header and now we are in the woods with him? I think we should just get the location and go by ourselves."
"Yea, I guess you're right. I shouldn't have asked him if he wanted to come. Maybe we can get the info and then just not show up at the library?"
"That would be good if he tells you. He may want to wait until we meet. But try it. If he says not until we meet, then explain our being afraid a little. Lay it on thick, Sean, and maybe he will tell you. It's worth a try. But try to find out as much as you can first.”
"Ok, Effa. That makes sense. He seems to think this meeting will happen around nine or a bit later. Do you think you can get out that late?"
"I'll have to sneak out. It will only be the sitter. She usually checks on Brigid and Jamie but leaves me be. Ma will be out with her friends after the party at Brian’s and da will be at work. What about you Maggie?"
"My parents are going to Brian's, so I will have a sitter too. I'll sneak out and meet you."
"Brian, do you want to come now?"
With a shake of his head he murmurs "No way."
"Ok then, you stay home with your phone fully charged. One of us will get in touch with you."
"Fine."
The bell rang for the students to return to their last class of the day.
When Effa left the school building 45 minutes later and stepped onto the sidewalk, she could see the Garda cruiser approaching.
"Hi, da." she said as she slipped into the front seat.
                                        ***
  Halloween day broke with dark clouds hovering over Ballymoe. The kids approached their parents to ask if they could go out for the day as well as trick or treat, each waited for the verdict.
Since Halloween was one night only, the parents relented. All four kids met by the pond.
"Do you all have your costumes?" Effa asked excitedly.
"Yes." all answered.
"Now, Brian, what plan did you come up with to tell your parents?"
"It's pretty simple. I will collect some sweets, and then hide out in your tree house for a while. Then I will go home and tell ma that I don't feel good and just stay in my room. My phone is all charged but I will keep in on the charger all night."
"Perfect. Now let's get to the library. Sean, are you ready?"
"Yep. I have it all figured out. I think I can get him to tell me where the meeting will happen. Leave it to me."
Arriving at the library, the four headed to the computer room. Sean logged into the same site as yesterday.
Dark Warrior: Anybody here?
Peace and Love" I'm here, Sean. Are we on?"
Dark Warrior: Where do you think the meeting will take place?
Peace and love: I can tell you all that when we meet tonight. Same place?
Dark Warrior: I'm not sure we can do that. 9 is a bit late.
Peace and Love: Well, they won't be meeting any earlier. I'm sure of that much.
Dark Warrior: Well, if you could tell me where it will be then we can go earlier just to check it out.
Peace and love: I don't think so. You may get lost and then I would feel terrible.
Dark Warrior: You forget these are our woods. We won't get lost. How do you know where the meeting will be anyway?
Peace and Love: From my research, I found they move from location to location. A different one every year. But, the spot always has a definite connection to the last one. This year it will be water and oaks. I found a place on the far north of your woods. It has a small brook running through it and is surrounded by about ten large oak trees. I know that will be the spot. But you three need me to get to it safely.
Dark Warrior: Actually, we don't. I think I know the spot you're talking about. Thank you for all your help. Are you still going to go at 9?
Peace and love: I don't think it's a good idea for you to go without me. Why do you want to do this?
Dark Warrior: We don't know you, and after talking to my friends we decided we were better off on our own. I'm sorry.
Peace and love: Don't be sorry. I really do understand. I will try to be at the spot tonight too. You three be careful.
Dark Warrior: Ok, thanks, and we will.
Sean logged out.
"That was fantastic Sean. You got exactly what we needed. That is the spot we saw on the map, isn't it?" Effa asked.
"Yes. I'm sure of it. Let's check on the computer so long as we're here."
After a half hour of rewording his search, he finally found what they were looking for.
                                      ***
Finished at the library, the four trekked back to Effa's house. Here they would have dinner and then change into their costumes.
"Hi, ma, can I do anything to help with dinner?" Effa asked as she dropped her schoolbag in the mud room.
"I'll help too, Mrs. Gleason." Maggie announced in her quiet voice.
"No, thank you girls. All is set. You four get washed up and sit and eat."
The four squeezed into the downstairs bathroom. With much pushing, shoving and giggles, they finally emerged with clean hands and faces.
When they entered the kitchen, Effa's father was leaning against the counter, sipping a cup of tea. His deep, soft voice floated over the space as he joked with Effa's mother. They shared an intimate smile before acknowledging the children.
Jamie and Brigid came screaming into the kitchen, their high pitched squeals drowning out all conversation.
"Enough now. Come and sit down or there will be no trick or treating tonight for the lot of ya." Ma announced while she placed bowls of hearty lamb stew and plates of crispy potatoes on the table.
After dinner, Effa and her friends went into the family room to don their costumes. Effa's wizard robe, a deep purple with red and yellow bolts of lightning, green planets and bright orange moons, hung loose about her small frame. Her pointed wizards cap was tied discretely under her chin. In her right hand she held a black wand and in her left hand was a neon orange plastic pumpkin to hold all her booty.
Maggie was dressed as a fairy. Her short tutu was of bright yellow tulle attached to a pale orange silk top. Her leggings were bold stripes of yellow, orange, green and safire. Gold and silver glitter clung to her deep red curls. In her right hand she held her soft cotton pumpkin which would stretch to fit all the sweets she could possibly carry.
Brian's costume was that of a wood elf. His short green pants, attached to a white cotton blouse, where he added a dark green vest. His tri-pointed cap sat in the center of his head, held in place by the spikes of his hair. In his left hand he held a pillow case from his bed.
Sean was dressed as the dark warrior. His costume consisted of black jeans and boots. His black sweater was thick enough that he would not need a jacket. His white blond hair hung to the top of his collar. His chest was covered with a thin piece of metal, engraved with his family crest. The lion on the front snarled at his enemies. At his waist, secured in a tight belt of sorts, was his sword.
The four sat at the table to wait for Meghan, the sitter, to paint their faces according to their costumes.
Sean's was half black and half silver.
Maggie’s had little butterflies and petals in yellow and safire,
Brian's had the colors of the forest painted in swirls that merged together.
Effa's had silver stars, yellow moons with silver glitter over all.
Meghan would take the two younger Gleason kids out around the neighborhood. Effa and friends would tag along until dark.
"Now, Meghan, you make certain Brigid and Jamie are in their rooms by 6:30 p.m. These four are out until 8 p.m. and then Effa may sleep at Maggie’s. You call Mr. Gleason if there is any problem. He will be closer to home. You understand? "
"Yes, mum."
"Thank you, ma. I didn't think you would let me sleep at Maggie's." Effa gushed.
"To be honest, it was your da that gave the ok, not me. You just be a good lass and do as Mr. and Mrs. Cochrane tell you."
"Yes, ma, I promise."
Everyone left to enjoy the festivities of Halloween.
                                      ***
After trick or treating a few homes in the neighborhood Brian decided to simply go home now.
"I may as well. My parent’s party will be going on; they won't be paying attention to me. I'll just watch TV in my bedroom until I hear from you. I'm not going to call you unless it's an emergency."
"Ok, Brian. Don't leave your phone on the charger though; I think if you do then our call will go straight to voice-mail."
"Ok, it's charged full, so I'll just keep it on my bed next to me."
As Effa, Sean and Maggie started to go; Brian surprised them all with a group hug. His eyes were misty as he turned to go home.
"It's early, what do you think we should do? Go to my house now?" asked Maggie.
"We are going to be in trouble for tonight one way or another. Do you think we should just head to the woods?" asked Sean.
The ever logical Effa took out a coin. "Harp side we go to Maggie's. Flip side we go to the woods."
She tossed it high in the air and caught it before it hit the ground.
The three friends headed straight for the woods.
                                        ***
A large group met at the clearing. The huge oak trees that surrounded them brought the sense of peace to some, and purpose to others.
One tall hooded figure broke away from the members. He stood silent for a moment until all were quiet and looking to him for guidance.

Tá nuacht ollmhór agam daoibh deartháireacha agus deirfiúracha ###

Anocht, don chéad uair riamh, beidh trí anamacha saontacha againn chun ofráil do na spioradacha.

Mar a rinne ár sinsear san am atá thart, déanfaidh muid an íobairt seo ar mhaithe an cúnant ar fad.

Seasfaidh an cruinniú seo anocht mar comhartha do ré nua dúinn.

Beidh triúir le croíthe fíorghlan againn chun ofráil do lucht na marbh.

Beidh saibhris agus sláinte dochreidte beannaithe orainn!

Fáilte go Samhain 2012.



I have great news for you brothers and sisters. ###
Tonight, for the first time ever, we will have three innocent soul to offer to the spirits.
As our ancestors did in the time that is past, we will make this sacrifice for the good of the entire covenant.
This meeting tonight will stand as a mark of a new era for us. We will have three with pure hearts to offer to the dead.
Unbelievable riches and health will be blessed upon us!
Welcome to Samhain 2012.

As the members began to group together into a double circle around their leader, their voices chanted low.
"neamhchiontachta do líonmhaireacht" ###
"Innocence for abundance" ###
The head of the local covenant, who had invited several rival groups from surrounding counties to witness an ancient rite of Samhain, smiled at his followers.          .
                                    ***
"Wait, Sean." Effa said as she took her compass out of her wizard's robe.
"Ok, turn a little to the right here and go straight."
"What time is it?"
"7:30."
Now they are off at a run once more. The moon shone bright through the halo of trees lighting their way. An hour later they slowed.
"Do ya hear that?" whispered Sean.
"Aye. I think it’s an old form of Irish, but I don't know what they're saying. Do you?"
"No. How about you, Maggie?"
"I only understood a few words. Something about spirits and wealth."
"Ok, let's walk really slow and carefully. It's 8:45. I'm going to call Brian real quick."
"Brian?" Effa whispered into her phone. “Can you hear me?"
"A little, you keep breaking up. Where are you guys?"
"We're near to the brook and oaks. We can hear voices chanting but we don't know what they're saying. I'm going to leave my phone connected to yours. Ok?'
"You're going to what??"
"Don't hang up! Keep listening."
"Ok."
Effa put her phone in the front pocket of her robe.
"Ok, let's go. Quietly."
After a few meters, Sean was brought up short by the snap of a twig behind him. As he turned to see who was there, a cloth was placed over his nose and mouth. Before his eyes closed on their own, he saw the same thing happen to Maggie. Effa let out a short scream before her face was covered too.
                                    ***
Brian sat straight up on his bed. "Effa!" he shouted.
"EFFA! Answer me! What's happening?"
All he could hear was hundreds of voices saying the same words over and over again. He knew it was Irish but he didn't understand these words..
Then the phone disconnected and there was nothing.
                                      ***
Liam Gleason sat at his desk. The ring of the phone startled him. He chuckled at himself for ruminating while he reached for the handset.
"Superintendent Gleason."
"Liam, this is Eric. Brian has just told us something about the kids. You need to hear this."
                                   
                                  ***
The hooded man stood before his followers, arms raised above the altar. His chant loud and clear, in the language of the ancient ones.
"Leis an fhuil na neamhchiontachta  ***
Éilímid scaoileadh marbh
  an heicsidheachúlach as ár réimsí
Lig an ithir a bheith saibhir agus torthúil
Lig ár mná a bheith torthúil do
an níos fearr ar ár leanúna
Cé muid le chéile go rúnda
Is iad ár gcomhaltaí neart
Lá amháin, beidh ár riail a bheith ar láimh
uair níos mó."
With the blood of innocence  ***
We demand the dead release
the hex from our fields
Let the soil be rich and fertile
Let our females be fertile for
the better of our followers
Though we meet in secret
Our members are plenty
One day our rule will be at hand
once more.
The members clasped hands while their bodies swayed side to side. As the innocent sacrifices were carried out to the stone altar, their voices raised to a level just below a scream.
"lig sé tús le linn" ***
"Let it begin with us" ***
Chanted over and over again as the hysteria grew.

As the crowd swayed faster and faster, their voices raised, words torn from throats raw with self-righteousness, one scream rose above the others.
"NO! STOP!"
                          ***

Liam rushed into the Mulligan home. Brian sat at the table, his sobs heard clearly outside the house.
"Brian, where is Effa? Where have they gone?"
"They're in the woods sir. Sean found a blog and spoke with the crazy header who wrote it. He found out where the Samhain meeting would be and those three went to see it and prove that it still happens. Maggie has her camera and they planned to get pictures of everything."
"Where is this meeting supposed to be?"
"The glen. The one with all those big oak trees, the one with the brook in the middle."
"I know where it is. When is the last time you talked to them?"
"Just before da called you, sir. Effa kept our phones connected, I could hear them whispering and then I heard Effa scream. I kept yelling for her to answer me but all I could hear was a lot of voices chanting in a weird form of Irish."
"I'm coming with you, Liam." Eric said as he reached for his jacket.
" No, I'll let you know what I find, Eric. You stay with your family."
Liam was on his radio while he raced back to his car. Sergeant Morgan, his right hand man, called in all local Garda stations for any who could be spared.
As Liam reached the outskirts of the woods, about twenty kilometers from his own back yard, he could see the gathering of Gardai uniforms to aid in this search.
Pulling the head of each Garda department together, he told them, "We are heading to a glen that is well known to all in Ballymoe. Each of you grab two of my men, and follow their lead. My group will circle and come in from the north, you two, south, you west, and you east. We will surround this gathering. According to Brian Mulligan, a ten year old who heard the chanting while his phone was still connected to my daughter's, says it sounded like hundreds. I don't know what we will meet with, but be prepared for a battle."
                           
                                        ***
  The voice sounded out again.
"STOP! I know these children! STOP!"
"If what you say is true, then you will be blessed tenfold by the spirits of Samhain! This sacrifice will not go unnoticed by the dead! We all here shall bear witness!"
"NO!NO! Stop!"
Before she can say another word, her arms are grabbed from behind and a cloth is put over her face. Once unconscious the two hooded men carried her to the opposite side of the woods to the leader’s van and placed her in the back.

                                          ***

The Garda, Liam at the lead, neared the circle of the covenant. They can hear the murmur of the voices as they chant in old Irish.
Liam approaches from the north, behind the altar. As he sees a hooded member raise his arms, the moonlight glinting off the blade, he shoots.
Chaos reigns as the police converge on the clearing.
Members run for the cover of trees, or head to the vehicles parked a matter of meters away.
Screams of indignation, pain, fear and anger echo throughout the oaks. Hooded figures are hit to the ground by clubs wielded by the swift moving officers as they rush through the mob swinging left to right and up and down. Dogs are released to chase the hooded men and women savvy enough to break through the line of force and make it to the brook.
The dogs bite through the calves of those trying to cross the knee deep water, their robes slowing them down.
One lone member of the cult raced to pick up the ceremonial blade and turned toward the altar. Liam tackled him to the ground and with his hands around the man's neck, calls for one of his men.
"Cuff this one before I shoot him." He growled.
He remained at the altar to protect the children with gun drawn, ready to shoot any one of these people who may draw near. Smoke from the nearby fire pit burns his eyes as he turns circles to ensure no one comes close.
As the commotion dies down, Liam can now see that each robed individual is chained to the one in front of him or her. The four Garda stations had joined forces to end this night of horror.
It is a clear victory for the Garda tonight. All have restrained prisoners and lead them out of the woods to the large police buses that will carry them to the Ballymoe station.
The vehicles parked on the far north of the site are left to be searched when Liam and his men return and are now guarded by several officers.
Sgt. Morgan carries the unconscious Sean as a Garda from Castlerea station carries Maggie.
Liam carries his sleeping Effa in his arms.

                                      ***
At the station, they put five to a cell as the booking process begins. Ids are removed from wallets and complaint forms are filled out by the arresting officers. None have given statements, due to the unrealistic view that they will be released on their own recognizance. Morgan is left in charge of the chaos at the station while Liam brings the children home.

He heads back to the scene after dropping Effa off with Meghan. Four Garda are left at his home, two inside and two outside the house. They have orders to shoot first, question later.
                                      ***
Deep in the woods, a woman awakens to absolute quiet. Exiting the van, she listens for any sound. She is alone. Not knowing for certain just what happened, her only option is to begin the long walk home. She is clear of the crime scene before the main Garda return.
                                  ***
Long into the night, Liam and his men search the ten cars lined on the north side of the woods. The documents in the glove boxes confirmed the list of names he has before him. Though the owners are known, he still orders the dusting for the prints of the passengers.
"I want this totally by the book. No mistakes. We can't let anyone, not one single fiend walk free of this heinous night."
Morgan approaches Liam to suggest he go home.
"Everyone is locked up, paperwork is done, and we simply await the hearing on Monday. I'll wrap things up here. Why don't you find Ellen, go home and take care of your family."
Nodding, Liam heads back to his car. He hasn't yet had a chance to call Ellen. She is still out with her girlfriends in Ballymahon thinking all is fine here.

Once home, he sends Meghan to the spare room to sleep. Now he must call her father and explain the situation.
“John, this is Liam. I truly need Meghan’s help tonight. I haven’t been able to reach Ellen, she is on a ladies night out and has her calls sent to voicemail. I need Meghan to stay with my kids in case I’m called back out. If I have to leave I will have an officer remain here to watch over Meghan and the kids. We had a major sting tonight, involving several outlaying Garda stations. I can’t give you all the details now, but I promise you that Meghan will be safe here.”
As he hangs up the phone he hears Effa’s screams.
Racing up the stairs, his heart pounding against his chest, he pushes open her door. Effa, with her scream of terror hanging in the air, holds out her arms to him.
Pulling her close he scoops her up onto his lap as he rocks her, trying to soothe and comfort her.
“Shuussh, Effa, it’s alright now. I’m here, sweetheart, no one can hurt you. I’m right here.”
Her little heart was pounding against his. A scream of terror lodged in his throat at the thought of how this night could have ended. He wrapped his arms around her as tightly as he could and carried her down stairs to stay with him.
                                  ***
Liam now sits in the family room by the fireplace. Effa is now asleep and secure against his chest. He listens to the spitting of the flames around the damp logs as he tries to rationalize how this could have been going on under his nose in his own town.
Father O'Houlihan was killed tonight by Liam's only shot into the crowd.
How could a Catholic priest be involved?
Liam had spoken with a very dazed, confused and scared trio of friends. Sean told him about the blog, which computer experts had traced back to the rectory in County Roscommon and Father O'Houlihan.

His reverie was broken by the sound of the back door closing softly. He lifted his right hand and aimed his gun at the doorway.
Of all the horror that surfaced on this unholy night, the worst was the phone call from Sgt. Fin Magee, informing Liam that according to the only ones who would talk, Ellen had been a willing participant until the children were brought forward.

Liam now saw Ellen stop in the open doorway to stare sadly at the gun trained on her.
His eyes told her all that he knew.
"I'm so sorry, Liam."
Her arms were secured by the officer who came up behind her.
"So am I." Liam said softly.
A single tear slid down his cheek as the sound of the cuffs cinching his wife's wrists shattered the silence.





© Copyright 2012 cj cullen (namaste at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1876322-SAMHAIN