*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1877071-The-Introduction
Rated: E · Prose · Women's · #1877071
A young female at a lounge with her friends in Hollywood eyes a young man.

I was at a lounge on Hollywood and Vine with my friends Amy and Liz. It was Monday night and all of came us came back from work. We wanted a drink, so we went a new spot, the Bardot, rather than our usual spot.
The lounge was Moroccan themed and dimmed with red color lights. There were locals, hipsters, and tourists buying drinks. My friends and I looked around for a spot to chat and drink. We found the perfect place upstairs where we could watch the musicians from above.
I went to the bar and ordered myself a beer, Amy ordered rum and coke, and Liz ordered a Long Island iced tea. We sat down and chatted about work. Amy spoke about the difficulties she was having with animals at the veterinarian hospital she worked at, and Liz complained about co-workers she had at the nonprofit she managed. I lamented about the writer’s block I was having for an article, and the pressure I was feeling to meet the deadline. It was a typical girls’ night out, except we were at a new place. I was sipping my beer, when I felt someone observing me. I looked up, and there he was smiling. 
I tapped my friend Amy and whispered, “Do you see that guy checking me out?” “Who?” Amy mumbled. She looked around the room. I pulled her back, “Don’t be so obvious!” I pointed to the guy who smiled. He was now talking to another male, likely his friend. “Oh, that guy. He’s cute, you should introduce yourself,” Amy said nonchalantly. I gave Amy the death stare. “Why should I introduce myself? Isn’t it kind of awkward? I haven’t had any interaction with him.”  Amy looked at me quizzically. “Yes, you have. You looked at him. Don’t you think he’s cute, Sam?” I puffed my cheeks, a habit I usually do when I was trying to find an answer to an easy but irritating question. “Eh, I don’t know,” I replied.
Amy tugged on Liz’s shirt. “Hmmm,” said Liz. She looked at Amy and me. “What’s up,” she asked. 
“Sam is checking out this guy, and she wants to know if you think he’s hot or not?” asked Amy. I punched Amy in the arm. “Ouch! What was that for?” replied Amy as she was rubbing her arm. “I’m not checking this guy out,” I said to Liz. I want a friend’s opinion if I should talk to him.”
“Would it really matter, Sam?” grumbled Amy. “I mean he’s a guy at a bar that you likely will not see again. Introduce yourself. See it as a compliment that he checked you out.”
“Bitch, what is that supposed to mean? “ I snapped.
“Chill out, Samkins,” said Liz. She gave me a pat on the shoulder. “Calm down. She wants you to go out of your comfort zone, and say hello. You have to get out one of these days.”
“I don’t know. I’m not ready to put myself out there,” I replied uncomfortably.
Amy scooted closer to me. “Sam, we’re not asking you to go on a date with him. We’re asking you to say hello to him. Live a little.”
I sighed,” Fine.”  I stood up from my seat, and walked to the guy who grinned at me. I looked back at my friends nervously. My friends motioned me to move forward.
The guy wasn’t cute, but wasn’t bad looking either. He was of average height, and was on the chubby side. I put my hand out. “Hi, my name is Sam, I saw you smiling at me.” He beamed. “Hi, my name is Io. Nice to meet to you.”
© Copyright 2012 Sbsumampong (sbsumampong at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1877071-The-Introduction