*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1877126-Ways-to-Get-Started-as-an-Author
Rated: 13+ · Letter/Memo · Writing · #1877126
Wanted to share a long explanation of how a new person can start their portfolio.

If the reader would consider this a draft that ought to be rearranged, or turned into a better organized article about how a person starts out here at Writing.com. There are other articles on the subject; this is just my offering of information with a hearty welcome to the site. There are lots of sets of directions, and reading several differently worded explanations may help the info sink in so that you can set up your portfolio.

Please read this as an upside down e-mail through WDC.

Thank you so much for trying to catch up with me Jay. Let's see what I can come up with.

You are right about having lots of options for posting. A couple of years ago, I would have said that blogging was the writing form that got the most attention. Even though I've been around here for ten years, there are frequent updates to the site, I couldn't tell you all the options. I'll tell you the ones I have used most.

(Oops--realized you didn't do this, but could) When you set up your blog, you probably did it as some form of book, with chapters, sections, or any of the other forms. The book format will keep you in chronological order as you write, if you write chronologically. However, I find the book form rather restrictive because once written, you can't move your entries around.

Most of the things I write, whether fiction, non-fiction, or poetry, I begin as a static item. All the options for format can be found a couple of ways. On your start/home/portfolio page, there's an option directly under the top tabs that says "create item." When you click that it carries you to the page where you pick your format. You have 22 options. But like the bottom of that page says, most people create a static item. Then they put the item in a folder that shows up on your port page.

If you peruse that list of 22, you will also find the option of creating a folder. Once you create and name your folder, you can insert your articles/static items into the folder. You may already have figured this part out. It's a good way to organize the writing you post on the WDC site

When I want attention for something I have written, I'll lure my fellow writers/readers to my item by paying each reader GPs, or Gift Points which can be purchsed from the WDC Store--which is available through hovering then clicking the fall out menu on the top left side of your portfolio page.

When you first create an item, towards the bottom of that page is a blank area that gives you the option of seeking readers by paying them however many GPS the project seems to be worth to you. However feedback is harem scarem. Some people will say "nice job," while others will go into great detail to let you know what went over well and what didn't. This won't necessarily get you a following, but many people start exploring your port if they like what they read. At the bottom of that bid page, you can read the list of what is currently being advertised and at what cost. For example, my {bitem:1876688 } costs me 1600 GPs, or 16 cents per click. It was the most expensive bit when I placed it--to get at the top of the ad section. They have a minimum bid, and a minimum GP number for luring readers to your writing.

When I really want immediate feedback, I'll go to the bid-click system. You can find a link to that at the bottom of advertised items where it says "bid here." When you click on that, you need to read all the way down the entire page. The top empty blanks have you enter the item number of your essay (or whatever), and also the amount of GPs you are willing to pay for each click. If you leave your item there very long, and you get lots of people clicking on your ad out of interest, your own stash of GPs may become rapidly depleated. But, I figure lots of people look in the "bid-click/ad area because if you read left to right it's the first area a person runs across to venture into the site. Also, we WDCers know that the author paid for space, so the article shoulld be fully edited and in perfect form--well, near perfect--I always miss lots of my own typos.

If you search "groups" as the "any type" / "group genre" (this is located at the top of your portfolio page in the very top right-side area), you may find a group to hook up with where people read and review each others' works. I know SOMEWHERE there's a reviewing angels group--or some name like that. When you find them, just ask for a review and reviewers will come. But once again this is getting reviews instead of a following.

Another way to get traffic to your item is to go through different members portfolios--especially the yellow and blue cases. The color indicates the amount of time and effort that person has put in to the site and community here. Find a person whose personality seems stable (read their bio), and whose writing style is comparable or who seems educated and experienced in writing. Click on the envelope on their portfolio page, and ask them kindly if they would review your work. Then it's nice to return the favor. Or review them, and ask them to come visit your port and review something particular, or just your port in general

Actually, the following I've gotten is probably from someone accidentally stumbling into my port, liking what I've written, and then they come back later to read more. Since I 'announced" I'm close to publication and want editing help, I've had lots more visitors to my pages.

I just remembered your blog is wordpress, which is outside the Writing.com surfing. There is a WDC blog format, and those blogs get listed (in a chronological list) so that others can see what the blogging action for the day is. Try to find that section my searching "blogs" as the type or genre you seek

Well, I went on and on, and I probably have you confused. There are so many readers and writers from all over the world at our site, that not everyone becomes a "fan" of your writing by clicking the icon. It's still kind of a new option. If you are just hunting readers, and perhaps a LITTLE money, there's a site you might want to check out called. www.blogit.com . It's a different setup that didn't suit my needs, but you might want to see what they have to offer.

I just spent the last 4 hours editing my first chapter againagainagain.... I've got to get away from this computer for awhile, and IHOP isn't busy yet. Often when writing/editing long articles, I've got to leave it set awhile before I re-read to edit.

Hope this helped some, or gave you some ideas where to go hunting. There's a Writing 101 link on the top right side of your portfolio page. I've never had the patience to read through the whole thing, but that's a good place to scan for info, and then click on the information you specifically need.

I'll try to check in with you later in the day. My sleep pattern is messed up, and I may fall prey to a long nap this afternoon.

Keep reading and writing and you WILL achieve your goals. I believe it because I'm ALMOST through the process to publication. Thins take time We writers bare our souls, never knowing what we'll get in return. Usually feedback is kind and helpful. Occassionally, you'll run across a grump who will attempt to destroy your writing and your ego. If one of those FEW people leave hurtful feedback, report it to the StoryMaster, the Story Mistress, WDC support, or anyone with a blue portfolio case--a moderator.

Have a great Sunday. I can almost smell those pancakes already--and I'm not cooking!

Write on my friend,

Patrice a sunflower in Texas


On 7/1/12 at 1:35am, pulsar62 wrote:

> On 6/29/12 at 3:33pm, a Sunflower in Texas wrote:
> Hi Patrice,
>
> Real quickly: This website is really confusing. I
> don't know where to start writing if I want to begin
> a post here. There seem to be so many places to post
> stuff. Maybe you can coach me a little. I will write
> back and respond to your last email to me. I will write
> back soon. Even though I write about myself on my blog,
> I believe the things I say can be inspirational to you,
> and everyone who reads it. So, I would advise you to
> read even a little. I have already read a bunch of your
> stuff. I've read about 4 or 5 chapters of your book.
> You sound like you been through so much. I pray things
> for you continue to get better for you.
>
>
> Jay.
>
>



© Copyright 2012 a Sunflower in Texas (patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1877126-Ways-to-Get-Started-as-an-Author