*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1877663-Merchant-Navy-as-a-Career
by Rahul
Rated: 13+ · Other · Career · #1877663
This short story enlightens my life in the marine academy.
                                               
MY CAREER AS A MARINE ENGINEER

                         
There was a sudden bang on my door and then followed the sound of whistle. And from somewhere a boisterous voice echoed in my ears.

Roll-call, Everyone muster in the parade ground. Fast”, howled the crooked Warden.

I was still half –asleep but I got up very next instant when I heard the second thud on the door. I rushed towards the parade ground. The warden counted the heads with the aid of senior cadet captains and we were dispersed to continue for sports. I just strolled around thinking about how I landed here in this academy amidst different rules, norms and plenty of regulations. I just swayed my mind to recall when I was made a part of this cetacean family of sailors - “ The Great Mariners ”. I remembered a small incident, which took place in my childhood days.
                          During my kindergarten days in school, we used to sit on benches rather than tables and chairs. The front rows were occupied by boys and the rear ones by girls as we boys were considered to be scallywag. But I used to sit only in last row and get engrossed with girls when the teachers used to take classes regarding rhymes and poems. But I still do remember a segment of a well-known poem, which is stated as follows: -

“ Deep blue sea with rushing waves in it,
  Deep blue sea with wandering ships in it,
  Deep blue sea with tiny and big fishes in it,
  Deep blue sea with seagulls flying above it,
  Deep blue sea is a fabulous and admirable gift of god.”


                          There were many chapters briefing about the well-known navigators, explorers etc round the world. The best example is Columbus.
                        Initially, the sea was a mysterious element to me, to be watched from a distance, from the security of solid land under ones feet. City slickers might denigrate sea as “KALA PANI (Black Water)” but for those who love nature, there is plenty to admire. It was love for adventure and outside that drew me towards merchant navy.
I thought sailing was a pastime for business tycoons lazing around onboard luxurious yachts, but after joining the naval academy it was a real eye opener. For an introvert and shy person like me, pursuing this career was like being carried in a whirlwind. But I finally joined the academy with some anxiety and tension hoping the transition from civilian way of life to that of a naval cadet would be smooth one. But I was wrong from the beginning.
                    As a first year cadet, everything seemed to be complicated, awkward and yes sometimes amusing. Getting up early in the morning, running rounds and rounds around the parade ground wearing those half piece clothes provided by academy and what they call as P.T Rigs. If u skip, the crooked wardens would hound you. And finally follows the systematic routine provided by the management over here.
But as the days passed, the tough mountain became a tame hill. Many times I was homesick and unsteady. Recurring memory of my parents and family was too much to bear, but the words kept me strong. The words on the notice board in our academy read: -

“ When you have the attitude to excel,
Every race ends in victory.”

                    These words often helped me face the hardships of training, to keep myself motivated, when the odds were stacked against me or when the going got really tough, and only my will to succeed propelled me forward.
                    When I entered the third year, I slowly understood what is truth. The navy is a institution of learning. From the cadet’s time, till the day one hangs up ones uniform, the ever-changing nature of a seafarer’s life is an ongoing education in handling people and gaining knowledge in handling situations.
                    “ Men --- the one with whom you sink or swim --- who look to u for guidance in moments of crisis and whose actions or lack of action can spell difference between success or disaster at sea. It’s all about discipline --- abiding to certain rules and norms of social life. Discipline is vital to a successful mariner. Without this even the army is reduced to a disorderly mob.
                    Many people joint this field as handsome salaries allure them but they never think about the tedious and rough conditions ahead. The mere result is ----ending up working onshore. They enter the filed with great josh but as the time follows, they seemed to be lost. What I say is “don’t give up”. You need to steel your heart and resolve to keep in touch with your fellow mariners and cross all the hurdles and obstacles. This filed helps in building up our courage, resilience and would most importantly the spirit of teamwork. This field also enables us close to the elements of nature. The path ahead is long and tough and you need miles to go to succeed and to become a good naval officer. Always keep in thought: -

“The sea looks lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
Miles to go before I sleep.”
(My sincere apologies to Robert Frost)


                  And from somewhere again the same old boisterous voice echoed in my ears and soon followed the sound of whistle.

Time for bath. Get ready for dinner. Fast”, howled the crooked Warden.
© Copyright 2012 Rahul (rarahul2001 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1877663-Merchant-Navy-as-a-Career