*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1879059-Morphling
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1879059
Kristina's been living a normal life. But all that changes when she's visited by someone.
Hey! For those of you who read Morphling (the old one), I kinda discontinued that because I had no idea how to continue it. I rewrote it and changed a lot. Still the same characters and idea, but different setting, time, and everything else. I dunno if you'll like this one better, but I do! Okay, I'll stop now. ~K. Hawke



Morphling



Chapter 1: Kristina


Two...more...minutes.

I stare hard at the clock. It is currently first period - history. History is my least favorite subject, so I figure if I can get past my first class, I'm
free.

Today's topic is ancient Greece. Yeah, it sounds cool. But you try listening to a lesson about Greek democracy for 45 minutes.

I momentarily stop watching the clock, because my teacher is discussing the homework.

"Read section 6 in your textbooks, then answer the questions on page 119," he says.

The bell rings, and the majority of the class rushes out the door.

Science class is next. I'm looking forward to it. The science room is just across the hallway. I take a seat next to my friend, Jocelyn.

"Did you study for the test today?" she immediately asks me.

It takes me a few seconds to process the short sentence she just said. Study... Test... Today. Wow, I didn't.

"Nope, unfortunately."

The teacher walks in. She quickly hands out the tests and explains what to do. Then we start.

I write my name on the paper. Kristina Esmer - easy enough. The date is May 6. Now for the actual test.

What's a chromosome again? DNA...or something like that.

Besides that, the test isn't that difficult. I'm already on question nine.

My phone vibrates, and I'm taken by surprise. Who would text me at a time like this? I ignore it.

Only eleven questions left.

My phone vibrates again.

Ten questions.

Buzz.

I make a fist and walk over to my teacher's desk. "Ms. Green, can I go to the bathroom?"

"Are you almost done with your test?"

"Mostly."

She nods, and I walk out of the classroom. I hastily take my phone out of my pocket and unlock it while entering the girl's bathroom.

There are three messages from my best friend Gabby, who lives in a different town.

The first message reads, "I can't tell you much. What I can say is that I've just left Wallingford. I'm going to West Haven. Then Cheshire. Then Hamden. I'll see you soon!" Huh?

The second one says, "Maybe not so soon. We've arrived at Cheshire Middle School. They're already here. Expect to see us in a few hours."

Who's "we"?

"Sorry, one last thing: Watch your back. Be careful." I'm absolutely confused. What should I be looking out for?

I put my phone in my pocket and wash my hands – otherwise, Ms. Green will know that I didn't "go".

I walk back to class. People are starting to hand in their tests, so I hurry to my desk and finish up.

I can't tell you much. They're already here. Watch your back. Be careful.

Three messages. They could mean something. Maybe Gabby's just messing around with me. But I know her. She wouldn't prank me during school hours. Of the three texts, the third one makes me wonder the most.

Be careful of what?



Chapter 2: Robert


My whole class has fled the gymnasium. The panther won't let me escape, though. It bares its fangs and drives me closer to a wall.

How'd the animal get into my school anyway? We were playing a game of basketball earlier, and suddenly, the feline entered the room. Most of my friends ran out immediately. Some stayed and tried to look tough. After one got bit on his leg though, they all ran out. When I took one step towards the exit, the panther lunged at me.

I know it's gonna eat me – y' know, chew me up, spit my bones out… It's not a lovely thought.

I close my eyes and wait.

After a few seconds, I open them. The panther is gone. In its place is a man – probably in his early twenties – with jet black hair and sinister-looking hazel eyes.

He grabs me by the shirt. "Hey," he says smoothly.

I'm confused. Where'd the panther go?

"Wha-? Where'd… Where'd the cat...?" I stutter.

"Ah, you're one of the clueless ones." He lets go of my shirt. "Do you know what a Morphling is?"

"What the heck is a Morphling?"

"I'm a Morphling, you're a Morphling."

"That doesn't really help."

"Fine. We're different than other people. It's not like we're extraterrestrial and not human at all, but we're not exactly 100% human either. Wanna guess what that non-human part of us is?"

I immediately remember the panther. How it disappeared and this guy showed up. Wow, this guy is nuts if he thinks I'm half animal…

"Oh come on – that's crazy," I tell him.

"Nah. You know it's real; I already proved it. Although, I don't know what you are." He walks around me, staring.

"You look fit. Pretty tall, blonde hair, blue eyes – You have the physical traits of a normal person. Usually, a Morphling can be identified by their appearance. Let's say a couple, both with blonde hair and brown eyes, had a baby. And that baby had…hazel eyes and jet black hair? It would be interesting. No one in the kid's family looked like him – not even a tiny bit. At least, that's what happened to me…"

"Well, maybe I'm not a Morphling then. Bye!" I start to walk away. But he transforms and swings at my face. I touch my cheek and feel blood.

"That's…not why I found you. You think I hunted you down to have a conversation with you?" He chuckles and says, "Ever heard of M-A-H?"

"Would you pronounce it like the M-A in map, and what does that stand for?"

"I'd pronounce it 'maw', like maul. Morphlings against humans." He scowls. "My family knew I was different. They didn't like me much – I could see it in their eyes. They stayed away from me, thought I was dangerous. I wasn't doing anything to them, though. Time passed. My older brother became a jerk. Something happened one day. We got into a huge argument, and I ended up sending him to the hospital. My mom kicked me out and told me to stay away…"

"I'm sorry" is all I say. But I don't think my family showed that kind of behavior towards me.

"Don't be sorry. After a few years of living on the streets, a really nice lion Morphling picked me up and took me in. He told me about MAH. The problem with us is that although there are harmless Morphlings, there are also people who morph into deadly animals, like me. People who find out about us automatically mark us as dangerous. They freak out and call people to hunt us down. Y' know what? We're tired of that. MAH gets people to like us."

"How?"

"Join, and you'll see."

"What happens if I join?"

He thinks for a second. "You leave home, but that's not bad. You also get to travel the world."

I don't wanna leave my family. I start to tell him I don't want to join, but I'm silenced by a voice behind me. I turn around, and I see a girl…with wings?

"DON'T!"



Chapter 3: Kristina


I have to give an oral report in English. But I'm currently on a computer, because my computer refused to print my paper, and I emailed it to myself.

I open Firefox and go to Yahoo. I while I move my cursor towards the login button in the top right, I notice an article: "Polar Bear" Attacks Man. I look over my shoulder. One of my classmates has just begun giving their report, which should give me about 3-5 minutes. I click the link.

New York City, May 17, 2012

At 11:00 A.M., 22-year old Hayden Young was driven to a hospital after being found near the entrance of Bronx Zoo, suffering from four broken ribs and a large wound on his leg. After being treated, he was interviewed, despite doctors telling our reporters that he needed more rest.
"I was walking in Bronx Park. For some reason, no one else was around," Hayden says. "I was near the Bronx Zoo. Then, a man I didn't know appeared. At first, I thought it was just another New York resident who wanted to take a walk. He went up to me and said something. I can't remember what he said. In fact, I can't remember most of the things that happened afterwards. But I'm pretty sure he set a polar bear on me. All I remember are huge, white, furry arms hitting and clawing at me. I don't know if it was a polar bear or the man who was attacking me. But a polar bear would've killed me, right?"

Polar bears really are vicious animals. One swipe of a polar bear's paw can cut a human's head off. Yes, four broken ribs and a wound the size of a water bottle sounds horrible, but even we find it strange that the polar bear stopped and didn't kill him...if it really is a bear.
"I never really liked animals – they're just so stupid." Young fell asleep moments after telling his story, and his nurse told us to get out.
Young was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2010, so police don't have accurate evidence. After checking the polar bear exhibit at the Bronx Zoo, they have confirmed that there are no loose polar bears. But they have warned people in the area to watch out for suspicious behavior, and to be careful. More information will be provided as the police investigate more.


Today is the 17th. It is 1:00 P.M., which means the incident occurred about two hours ago. Huh.

The story is interesting. Apparently, a guy showed up and attacked an innocent man with his pet polar bear… Like I'm gonna believe that. I

scroll down to the comments.

The first one says, "Idiot. That's what you get for hating animals – karma got ya." A few likes, mostly dislikes.

A few more say things along that line. But some actually say things like, "Hope you feel better!"

I suddenly remember why I'm on the computer – I need to retrieve my paper.

I logon to my email and print the essay out. Then, I logout, grab my printed paper, and hurry back to my seat.

While I'm waiting to present, I think about the article. And I suddenly remember the text messages. What if they're related? It's very unlikely, but not impossible.

I think I just worry too much.


.~* .~* .~* .~* .~* .~* .~* .~* .~* .~* .~* .~* .~* .~* .~* .~*.


6th period, math. I always sit silently in the back, not because I'm antisocial, but because I prefer to lay low in this class – I will admit, I don't really like some people.

I take out my Spanish notebook, because I forgot to do my homework. Even if I do listen to the lesson, I won't learn much – most of this is just review. After a few minutes, I close my notebook and try and listen to today's lesson: ratios.

I hear something. It isn't pencil tapping or pen clicking, but stomping. Coming from the roof. I don't know why I'm so concerned with it – I guess I'm on the edge of my seat because of earlier events. For all I know, it could be just be the janitor. No one reacts, so I just sit there.

The stomping starts again, except it's not as loud. Then something moves near the window. A few people look to their right. And then I hear something that really bothers me.

Ticking.

Again, no one pays attention. All I know is that it isn't coming from the classroom. There is something stuck on the far left of the window, but I don't know what it is. Some sort of device, maybe? I don't know why people aren't looking at it.

It glows red.

I quickly raise my hand, and before my math teacher calls on me, I speak.

"You might wanna get away from the window…"

The window starts melting. Ms. Peterson yelps and moves away. Other kids are getting out of their seats and running to the opposite side of the room.

"What the heck's happening?"

"Oh my gosh."

"I'm confused. How'd that happen?"

"Ahh!!"

There's no explanation for the molten glass. In fact, there isn’t much of a window anymore. Most of it is either outside or on the floor.

As soon as I think this can't get any stranger, a man jumps into the classroom (which I find peculiar, considering we're on the second story of the building).

"Where is she?"


















© Copyright 2012 K. Hawke (schnauzerk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1879059-Morphling