*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1879334-How-to-Be-a-Good-House-Guest
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #1879334
Every wonder what the do and don't are when you are staying with someone?
How to Be a Good House Guest

         Picture this: you are a young college student about to embark on a two hour long road trip. Your destination is Aunt  Martha's house where you have been invited to stay for Thanksgiving weekend. Although trading your shared college dorm room and  disgusting cafeteria food for your aunts fancy guest room and home cooked chicken looks like a sweet deal, there are a few things you need to know before arrival. I have had my fair share of family members stay as guests in my home. Some guests have made vital errors which have cost them their life long invitation to my fortress. In order to avoid the dreaded, “Terrible House Guest,” title, there are three easy guidelines one can follow to guarantee their visitor's pass does not expire.   
         
         Firstly, never show up empty handed. To show up at your hostess' door step without a hostess  gift is never a good idea. Make sure you have some idea as to what your hostess would like. If you show up with a gift that shows you have not done your research, it may cost you an invitation back.  For example, if your bring an expensive bottle of red wine and your hostess is not a drinker, it may not work in your favour. If you really have no idea in regards to what your hostess would love as a gift, it is best to go with something that gives your hostess choices. For instance, a $20.00 gift card to Home Sense gives them many choices. It gives the hostess the opportunity to shop for something they love. They can use the gift card to spiff up the guest room, buy the new entry way mirror they have always wanted, or buy a nice scented candle for their own enjoyment. Everyone wins. Your hostess gets bragging rights  to a more updated home while you have bought yourself the title of a great gift giver.

         Secondly, watch your language. Using offensive language such as, “Screw you, dammit or shut up.” may be appropriate with your college friends, but they are inappropriate word choices that could be offensive to your hostess. One time when my cousin was visiting, he said sarcastically, “Dammit! I should have stayed in a hotel.”  An expression like that shows that you are ungrateful and do not care about your hostess' feelings. If you want to make a pleasant impression on your hostess, the best thing to do is to express your appreciation and gratefulness.  Say things like, “Thank you so much for having me this weekend.” or “You are a great cook.” will always work in your favour. It also helps to compliment the hostess on their home saying things like, “What a beautiful home you have.” or “Your house is so inviting.” 

         Finally, leave things the way you found them. It does not help your reputation as a guest when you leave things messier than how you originally found them. For example, if you have a snack in the kitchen make sure the dishes you used are washed and put back in their appropriate spot. One time my cousin came over and made toast for a snack. He left crumbs and strawberry jam spewed all over the granite counter tops, not to mention the floor. He forgot to close the bread bag, shut the cupboard doors and left the toaster on the counter. What a sticky, filthy, food mess he left for my mother to clean up. Also, remember to leave the washroom  as clean as possible. Make sure you do not leave toothpaste in the sink,  clothes on the floor, the hand towel crumpled up on the counter, or water all around the sink.  Most importantly, always flush the toilet. Remember, you want to avoid the title of  filthy house guest.  Your hostess has enough to do without having to pick up after you wherever you go. Your hostess will always appreciate it when you  clean- up after yourself. It shows her you are not taking  advantage of the opportunity to stay with her for a weekend. If you really want to score bonus points with your hostess, offer to help in anyway possible. If she is washing the dishes, offer to help her by saying, “Can I lend you a hand? May I start drying? Where might I find a tea towel. ”  A hostess always appreciates a guest who cheerfully helps with the chores. 

         If you follow these three simple guidelines,  you will be a blessing to your hostess. By being a good house guest, you might just be invited back. They may even ask you to stay for longer periods of time which means more home cooked meals and closer family relationships. Those guests that have been thoughtful and respectful during their stay at my home have often been invited back for house parties barbeques and family celebrations.  The rewards from being a good house guest are endless!
© Copyright 2012 Living In My Own World (katesworld at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1879334-How-to-Be-a-Good-House-Guest