*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1880119-Dara-Radharc
Rated: 13+ · Other · Supernatural · #1880119
A young girl has murderous visions, one of which is someone she has become close to.
The world spun violently, colours blurring together and forming one big blinding streak. The wind roared in a deafening sound, cutting through everything like a knife but not leaving the slightest trace of a wound and went unheard to all. The ground shook violently and began collapsing under her feet, she in return closing her eyes and bracing herself for the fall, to be swallowed by the earth and into blackness. That was what she hated about dara radharc, the fall. The plummet to your death that just never seems to come, the abrupt stop at the end only to be somewhere new, someone else.

                All at once she was consumed into darkness, the wind screaming around her as she kept her arms close to her side. After the first few times of having dara radharc she learned it best to not wail about screaming in sheer terror, that in doing so only caused more harm than good. Taking in a deep breath she counted as she fell, it lasting no longer than half a minute and as the time grew closer she felt the change coming on. Her body convulsed in a painful spasm as parts of her body shrank and others grew, her hair falling out in clumps and vanishing above her as she gained speed before finally she was greeted by a loud thud of what was once her body hitting the ground.

                Lying face first on the ground she let out a small groan, her hand scrapping against the dirty wood floor as she pulled herself up. Her vision spun angrily, almost sending her toppling over once more but after a moment of steadying herself she rose to her feet. Running her hand through her hair she froze instantly, the hair on the top of her head short and barely long enough for her to run her fingers though.

                “Oh no,” She mumbled in a man’s thick English accent. Her stomach churned violently as she looked down at a large set of hands. Pressing her fingers over her face she felt the prickly sensation of a five o’clock shadow along what was now her jaw line. Letting out a sigh she leaned back against the wall as she scanned over the room. She had never been in a man's body before and she could already tell she didn’t like it. “Brilliant. Just bloody brilliant.” she hissed to herself.

                Within the room there wasn’t much, a dresser and bed telling her she was in someone’s bedroom, but the question of whose and where she was remained. Pushing away from the wall she walked the length of the room as silently as she could, the floor creaking with each step under the weight. She knew what was coming, it being only a matter of time before the murder happened. That was what dara radharc was to her, death. She experienced the death, the murder of someone before it happened with the small glimmer of hope that she could change it. Three times now she had experienced it and all three times she had failed. To her they were nothing like her other visions, those once seeming more like a curse but now she found herself longing for them. She now knew what a true curse was and dara radharc was a true curse.

                She felt it, all of it. Their fear, their pain and betrayal. The worst of it was the death, when finally the last breath left her; their last breath. It caused such agony to experience. She could feel the tearing of the soul from the body, it ripping away like a tooth from the gums, the veins snapping loudly as it was removed from its hold. Only then was she able to see the victim, to see into their eyes as the light left them. They haunted her constantly, a reminder that she could have saved them, done something to prevent their fate and yet failed.

                Shivering at the thought she looked out the window, her eyes flickering over the green grass that went as far as the eye could see, raindrops hitting the window in sharp droplets. She pondered who she could be, if maybe she was someone of importance; royalty or a judge of some sort. There were never any significant clues as to who she was, all forms of identification; driver's license, photographs and mirrors being removed from the scene, though at the murder site all was in place.

                A loud rumble grabbed her attention, her eyes moving away from the vast open space to just down the drive. A speeding red car swerved as if avoiding something as it made its way to the house, tires squealing as it came to a sudden stop. Looking on in curiosity she cocked her head to the side, the driver's door swinging open but no one climbed out.

                “Not another drunk.” she grumbled to herself. She was growing tired of being killed repeatedly by them, it always being the same pattern of events.

                Out of the car came barreling a large hound dog, howling in pain as it attempted to race across the yard, trying hard not to use it’s back leg. Moving closer to the window her eyes narrowed as she watched intently as a leg moved out from the car. A large man stepped out from the vehicle, he leaning down and grabbing a large branch from the grass and moved towards the dog. Letting out a small gasp she tried to look away as the man raised the stick above the dog, it growling and snapping viciously as it tried to get away. A sickening thud filled the air followed by a yelp of pain from the dog, the man raising the stick up again.

                Turning away from the window she felt her stomach churn the air filled with cries of pain, she wanting nothing more than to vomit. The man wasn’t drunk, he was far from it. Finally things became silent, she turning towards the window with wide eyes full of terror. Forcing herself back to the widow she took a quick peek out, the man standing above a matted mess coloured red before tossing the stick aside and turning directly at the house, his black eyes looking up at her.

                Instantly she turned away, heart beat racing against her ribcage as she swore she saw him smile up at her. She was dealing with a monster, was going to be killed by a monster. Gnawing down on her thumb she looked quickly over the room trying to find a safe place to hide though she knew it was pointless. There was nothing in the room to keep her safe, to spare her from the inevitable fate of this poor man. This was nothing like she had dealt with before, it being even more terrifying than her first experience in dara radharc.

                From below the door crashed open, a mans voice bellowing out angrily about something or another. His steps hit the stairs hard, she in return letting out a squeak of fear and rushing to the door and locking it. Her hands shook as she checked the door, making sure it had locked properly, that there was no way he could twist the knob and swing the door open.

                Her eyes grew wide in apprehension as the knob twisted to a point and refused to go any further. From beyond the door there was a growl followed by a low sadistic chuckle. She felt her throat tighten as the door shook against the man's pounding, she backing away as she tried to swallow. In her mind she told herself to let it happen, to let herself be killed. In order to escape dara radharc, to find out who was going to be killed and try and help them she needed to die. But even with those thoughts it didn’t stop the terror that coursed through her. She was going to be murdered, not by a drunk who didn’t have the slightest idea as to what he was doing but by a monster who had probably killed before.

                Her breathing became painful as the middle of the door started to break it, a crack forming and spreading out like a spider web. With each pound the web grew bigger before finally a first forced its way through, blood pouring out from raw knuckles. Inside she was screaming in terror but the body she was in remained calm; standing perfectly, squaring his shoulders as he balled his hands into fists. He was preparing for a fight.

                “Oh God no,” She screamed in her mind, hoping that in some miracle the body she was in would listen to her. “Hide, don’t fight him. Please!”

                The door broke open, slamming against the wall and revealing the large man from outside. “Did you really think that could keep me out," he mocked as he wiped the blood from his hands onto his pant leg. “A bleedin door?”

                Without giving a chance for a reply the man lunged at her, knocking her backwards as she tried to fight him off. She closed her eyes tightly as she felt herself tense, it being as if she were bracing herself for a ride on a rollercoaster. The fight seemed to go forever, fists colliding with the others face before finally the man grabbed her and threw her into the wall and pinned her there.

                She opened her eyes finally to see what was going on, she catching her breath as she locked eyes with the man. Charcoal black without the slightest trace of a soul stared back at her wickedly; a twisted smile filling is face.

                “People here will be so sad to hear you’ve run away.” He snarled.

                Throwing another punch she felt her fist collide with the man's nose, a crunching noise filling the room and instantly she was released. Moving quickly towards the door she made a run for it, she not getting far before the man kicked her legs out from under her. Coming down in a crash she rolled onto her back staring up at the man.

                The man looked at her puzzled for a moment, as if baffled by something that had been said and a moment later he laughed. “You don’t scare me with your threats.” The man advanced on her, she in return backing away until the wall trapped her. “You’re mother knows what happens to you, she just doesn’t care. She is also aware of what it is that really happened to you, told me to do it.”

                She felt her mouth go slack, on herself and her body, it taking him by surprise also.

                “Hurts don’it,” The man whispered.

                More words must have been spoken from the boy, the man instantly grabbing her and forcing her to her feet and slamming her into the wall. She felt pain hit her in the gut and then her side as the man began beating the boy. Falling in and out of consciousness she waited for it to end, praying to whatever God that would listen to end it all, not just for her but the boy as well.

                Being pulled to her feet once more she felt warm liquid covering her face, her eyes half open as she became numb to the pain. The man shoved her in the shoulder, trying to get more of a fight but it was over. A chuckle broke past the man's lips, calling the boy pathetic before clapping him on the shoulder and pulling him in.

                A glimmer of light reflected off something in the man's hand and finally her pray was answered. The cool touch of metal greeted her stomach and instantly she felt herself being ripped away from the body just as the knife twisted in the man's hand and was pulled upwards. Screaming out in pain she found herself standing in the corner clutching her middle, waiting to see blood pour from her but her eyes locked on the two men in front of her; the victim with his back to her.

                Staring at him as he began slumping to the floor she felt her world stop and her heart plummet, a new form of terror hitting her. She didn’t need to see his face to know who it was.

                “Bloody pathetic,” The man snarled as he kicked the boy, it forcing his body over to face her.

                Her eyes went wide in pure horror, a blood curdling scream ripping past her lips as she stared at the boy. Rushing towards him she knelt beside him, caressing the side of his face as he stared up at her, the light draining from his eyes. “No. No. No. No.” She cried out, her eyes welling up in tears. He stared past her, oblivious to her touch as his eyes went dark and lifeless. “Anthony no, please!”

                Holding onto him she let out a choked sob as her world began spinning, the colours once again blurring into one. It was over, dara radharc had ended and it was only a matter of time before it came true.

                “Oui, you alright?” A male's voice asked through the darkness, it bringing her back to reality. Her eyes snapped open and she found him staring down at her, his hand gently running through her hair in a calming way. “Valerie,” he asked eyes full of concern.

                “Oh my G-Anthony!” Sitting up instantly she wrapped her arms around him tightly, her heart rapidly beating against her chest.

                Pulling away from her their eyes locked for a moment, his still holding concern but were now full of suspicion. “I’m not one to complain, but last I checked you hated me.” He said softly. “You sure you’re alright?”

                Forcing a smile Valerie shook her head. “I’m fine. Bad dream that’s all,” she mumbled getting to her feet. Turning and looking back at him she felt a knot rise in her throat, the image of what was going to happen to him branded within her mind. “And I don’ hate you.”

                Walking from him she made quickly for the door, her mind screaming for her to stay with him and tell him what she saw. Squinting against the sunlight Valerie’s silver eyes moved to the sky, a sigh escaping her. “Why him,” she whispered unable to understand what was happening. All she knew was that she couldn’t let him die.
© Copyright 2012 Unnatural_Selection (mapofyourhead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1880119-Dara-Radharc