*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1880781-Americans-Out-of-Control
Rated: 18+ · Article · Opinion · #1880781
Election Year? All the Bed Bugs come crawling out of the woodwork.
Today is July 20th in the Year of the Election 2012. Big news story today; Aurora Theater Shooting. Twelve people were killed and dozens more were injured. I live in Texas. The State where guns rule and people live accordingly. I hear more about the Second Amendment, not correctly quoted of course, than I have ever heard Coke Commercials in my life.

My counter-arguments are always the same but here's basically what I am fighting against - in the State of Texas To qualify for a Texas Concealed Handgun License you must:

Be 21 years old. (Members and former members of the armed forces must be 18 (but let's not forget the murders at Fort Hood in Killeen TX)
Have a clean criminal history, including military service and recent juvenile records. (note the word "Recent")
Not be under a protective order.
Not be chemically dependent. (there is no drug testing done that I can find)
Not be of unsound mind.
                   ---- keeping in mind that the law prohibiting the sale of guns to "any person of unsound mind" doesn't spell out how to determine someone's mental state.
Not be delinquent in paying fines, fees, child support, etc.(you students with loans - nope no guns for you in Texas ... r-i-g-g-h-h-t-t)
Be eligible to purchase a handgun by completing the NICS check.
Complete required training.

Does anyone else see the flaws in these regulations? Anyone?

I have a friend who lives in a town with a population of approximately 1,138 and who currently owns several handguns and rifles. Her arguments are always the same. Home invaders, crazies are attacking her and her family who she needs to protect. Now this same person has little to no impulse control. Her temper soars out of control and she has high blood pressure problems. Her husband is verbally abusive and loves to subject her to humiliating criticisms. Both husband and wife maintain that the Federal Government is "out to take our right to own guns".

Just recently the husband did something completely thoughtless and broke an artifact which my friend had just unearthed. She called me screaming about how stupid he was and went on to state that since he had control over the key to the gun cabinet, he wasn't dead - yet. This behavior, this ability to just grab a gun and solve all your problems is partially what I'm writing about.

Let's look at the statistics of Road Rage:
                    AAA reported that, "at least 1,500 people a year are seriously injured or killed in senseless traffic disputes."

In 2009 the number of total homicides was: 16,799. The number of firearm homicides from that total was: 11,493 - over one half of murders in the United States were executed by gun. I don't want to mix political frogs but we all know handguns are illegal to own in Great Britain. The statistics of murders by gun are tiny compared to the U.S.

When did the American People decide they were sane enough, intelligent enough, with plenty of self control that they should own, carry and use handguns? Where is it written in our Constitution that stupidity, arrogance, unmitigated self-serving egotism are enough reason to own, carry and use a gun? Do not throw the Constitution in my face please. Those that use that worn out excuse have NEVER read the entire document. I've asked.

We, the American Public, have refused our responsibility in raising our off-spring. There are cell phones, text messaging, Nintendo, Play Stations, Smart Phones with Angry Birds and of course television which have replaced conversation, thinking, and personal interactions. Should these people own guns when they can't spell out simple words like "Got to go"? They have an entire culture of cheating, stealing and lying but let's sell them guns.

I'm sickened by what America the Spoiled has become but I'm not surprised. I suppose the only good argument for owning guns is that when our economy crashes completely, and it will, it will be every person for themselves and a gun would come in handy then wouldn't it?

© Copyright 2012 cgronli (cgronli at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1880781-Americans-Out-of-Control