*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1880784-School-My-Rant-back-in-Dec-2010
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Comedy · #1880784
I wrote this in Dec 2010 and reading it now, I am kinda sad at how much I fell off.
         I absolutely love the fact that schools, particularly high schools, have due dates on assignments that are not similar to college due dates. This is what makes me smile every morning I wake up, if I can even wake up. The thought of having something due everyday is a blessing from the almighty god himself. For only he knows that having assignments due everyday is the key to whatever plan he has set out for us. Yes, all that time wasted on not having any work to do if there were not any assignments due everyday could never ever be put to use elsewhere. In fact, that time used wouldn’t even be considered time. It would most likely be considered laziness, which is something that School do not promote at all by providing students with the miniscule amount of work we get and/or have due everyday.
         Schools have the greatest food in the world as well. I faced that fact years ago when I ate a pizza from Domino’s and was thoroughly disappointed in the taste because in the back of my mind all I could think about was the delectable pizza from the school cafeteria. If schools can top Domino’s pizza then that is pretty much it for businesses like them. There is a slight chance that on a bad day, that our school food could be trumped by an outside source. I do not look forward to the day that our school food begins to taste bad, nor do I believe that the outside sources will ever make there way into our cafeteria because there honestly can’t be a way for cafeteria food to lose its great taste.
         The exam exemption policy is not the worst I have ever heard of. The extent to how effective this truly is negligible. It is not rocket science for any slightly average individual to realize that exam exemptions are only put in place to make one go to class. These exemptions are kind of rude in my opinion as it gives people the audacity to think that it is ok to miss out on the very well prepared 250+ question test. How would the teacher feel knowing that they have to prepare that kind of test for a small fraction of their students a semester? Miserable I assume unless of course they are the teacher this paper is due for and in this case, I applaud her efforts. However, these efforts go in vain due to the exam exemption policy. This is the same exam policy that makes the student who has an “A” take an exam over the student who barely pulls out a “C,” simply because he showed up to class 1 more than his high grade counterpart. In my opinion, either they both take the exam or they don’t. I lean more towards the don’t after thinking about it for two reasons: I’m lazy and if someone can barely pull a “C” what makes anyone think that they will do well enough on a 250+ question test to at least not allow there overall grade to drop.
         Another topic I love about schools is the grading curve. I feel offended knowing my grades on major assignments and tests are false. I hate seeing that 84 which is a “C” before it has those extra points from out of nowhere added to it to give me a much better grade than I earned. It makes me feel smart and special. The grading curve makes the best student that much worse and the worst student that much better. Depending on the intelligence of a group, the best student may get +1 points while the worse get +20 but that doesn’t matter because school isn’t about fair competition.
         School is obviously about not being absent or tardy because the records prove time and time again that students who go to school most likely graduate. The attendance system work so well that it is killing itself. What student in their right mind would go to class late and get ASD for several days when they can just miss class. It’s an office referral for being late; it’s a phone call home and more short-term benefits to be absent. It’s not as if it will hurt the student if one considers the small possibility that the student is not stupid. Therefore, the exam they would take in exchange for being able to miss class/school up to 9 times is negligible.
         The way classrooms are arranged is another aspect of school that blows my mind, in a good way. How is it possible that an AP class can have 75% of it students legitimately not be qualified for the class? The same question for Honors and this same question can even apply to a regular class. The answer is parents. School is where YOU learn, where YOU grow, and where YOU have to sometimes experience failure. However, YOU are doing all that, not your parents. It seriously pisses me off when I see parents or other authority figures for that matter telling their kids what they are going to do whether it be in college, life in general, athletics, or any other subject that involves YOU making your own decisions.]
         The last subject I want to rant on about schools is the pussy nature and the fragile minds of its students. This pisses me off too. What school really needs a permission slip turned in to watch a movie with a few scenes “society” deems unfit for teenagers in high school. How much of a baby are these kids or is the question better aimed at figures of higher authority? How innocent and pure does the school board think their students are? If you spend 5 minutes in the hallway between classes these questions are easily answered. If not, then the clear answer once again is the parents. Parents are so protective of their children that they can’t even trust them to grow up on their own. There is a big difference in a student drawing his/her picture free-hand than in that same student tracing the same picture and never knowing what could have been.

© Copyright 2012 The Weenie Hut General (therm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1880784-School-My-Rant-back-in-Dec-2010