*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1881903-Dear-Horatio-Desire-for-More
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #1881903
An argument made for the existence of "more" based on the desire for it.
         There is a familiar call which exerts its quietly forceful call on nearly all souls-- I say nearly, because, perhaps, there are few experiences that are truly universal. Sometimes, it subsists in the hidden parts of a man and only emerges when triggered by a sight, or smell, or sound; there are also times when it is thunderously demanding, and the sheer force of it quite nearly causes limbs to tremble. I am speaking here of the desire for more.
         Desires are a universal experience, even if not every desire is universally shared. Some men want sex, but that does not mean that all men do. Nearly everyone I have met expresses the desire to experience love in some shape or form, but I suppose that it's possible that there are some sociopathic individuals who have never felt that want stirring inside of them.
         Still, there are desires, and there as many different desires as some women have shoes in their closet-- they exist, perhaps, in just as colorful array as these shoes do. While these multifarious, multifaceted desires might deal with entirely different subjects, they all posses an object that is, usually me, but also sometimes others. Now, to want anything, whether it is for yourself or for someone else, expresses the knowledge of worth on the part of the object-- the person doing the wanting. If I dare to desire anything, then perhaps there is a small thread of realization within me, however obfuscated it might be by self-doubt and uncertainty, that there is some part of me that warrants this need being met. There is something inside that cannot be fulfilled by the object of the desire; fulfillment may only be found in the desired.
         Even further, the act of actually pursuing the realization of any desire illustrates that this is something that is, obviously, desirable to have in some way, and worth the cost of attaining. For there is nothing that can be attained that does not cost something, however minimal that cost might be. Nothing happens unless some form of energy is exerted. Quite frequently, the desires that are most fulfilling are those which are most costly as well.
         The most basic thing about desires, though, which is the foundation I suppose that everything else is built on, is the fact that for every desire that exists, there is also, not merely a potential way of satisfying it, but a very real way. As C.S. Lewis put it his book Mere Christianity, "A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well, there is such a thing as sex."
         So, if we desire more, based on the nature of our desires a certain series of realizations naturally follows. The first and most fundamental realization is that, if a desire for more is felt, the most natural explanation is that there is more. This is not to say what precisely that more is or even to begin to define that more, merely that we have reached the starting place of something existing outside of our human-based realities. Nihilism is null and void.
         The next place we might be led in the consideration of "more" is to consider that, since it does exist, and since it is desired, there is some lacking in us which renders it a basic need that this desire be met. It is not merely a fancy, some whimsical pursuit based on illogical desires or irrational sensationalism: the fact that we have a need to be met that can only be filled through the attaining of it demonstrates that the meeting of that desire falls squarely within the realms of practicality. Nothing makes more sense than that the man that is hungry seeks food, or that the one who is lonely seeks company. There is a lack within him that needs to be filled, and that comes from outside of himself, and the only thing that makes since is that something be done about it. The filling of any need is, naturally, a good thing, therefore if the more is real, finding it would be a good thing for us to embark on.
         However, this very real and very needed "more" requires pursuit. Sometimes, perhaps, a hungry man may sit beneath an apple tree and, quite literally have the apple fall into his lap. More often, however, the man must climb the tree.
         There is "more" that exists outside of our human dimension. The clarion call that countless souls have felt, while not serving to clarify which theorized "more", if any, is the correct one, still rings just as clearly that "more" exists. More is desired, because more exists, and without the pursuit of more there is no true fulfillment.
© Copyright 2012 B.R.Reynolds (brreynolds at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1881903-Dear-Horatio-Desire-for-More