*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1881969-Hallow-Rise-Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1881969
Sneak peak of my upcoming novel Hallow Rise. Rates and reviews appreciated. Enjoy!
Hallow Rise: Chapter 1


Tom Hallow wept without shame that night. He wept with the tears of a man who had just lost the love of his life. He wept with the tears of a new father holding his twin boys for the first time. As his tears fell down his face and into his slightly agape mouth, he could taste the cruel bitter-sweetness of the situation. Looking at the lifeless body of his wife he felt extreme frustration. He told her they had to go into Golden Gate. They could have saved her in the city. There were just not enough supplies in the small farmhouse. Tom knew he would blame himself for this tragedy for the remainder of his life. For a moment he even found his mind beginning to wonder if he could instead place the blame on the babies. That thought was exiled as soon as he stared at the two tiny humans in his arms. They didn't dare utter a noise out of their round mouths or shed a single tear from their big, innocent eyes. It was as if they knew the pain in their father's eyes and decided to let him mourn in peace. Taking a deep breath and running a hand through his short blond hair, Tom swallowed his sadness and replaced it with a smile. For Helen, he thought, for Helen I'll never let harm befall these children as long as I live.

Weeks passed and Tom began accepting his new life. This life was absent of the long hours farming he was accustomed to and was dedicated to caring for his children, Drake and Jack. The thought of finding another woman other than Helen to help care for them never crossed his mind. Besides, not many woman would want to be with a 30 year old farmer with twin boys.He had just put them down for a nap and sat down for a rest but a sharp knock on the door forced him up. He smiled when he saw the familiar blue eyes on the other side.

"Tharos! Come in. Do you have the milk?" Tom greeted his friend.

"Of course I have it. That mage I get it from insists it has been 'magically enhanced' so it's safe for the young ones, but I can't for the life of me think of a spell that enhances any kind of beverage." Tharos's smile shined through his thick blond beard.

Tom was grateful for the milk Tharos had been bringing him since he heard what happened to Helen. "I'll pay you back as soon as I can."

Tharos dropped his long brown cloak by the door and shook his head. "Don't think you haven't already."

Tom stared at his shoes, biting his lower lip and nodding thoughtfully.

"Can I see them?" Tharos asked cheerfully, changing the subject.

"They're sleeping but go on in. I'll put the milk away."

Tharos entered the small room with the twin cradles. It astonished him how much Drake resembled his deceased mother. The same thick, curly brown hair and hazel eyes. Jack, on the other hand, did not remind Tharos of either Helen or Tom. The child had thin black hair and eyes as dark as a starless night. Tharos picked up a small portrait of Helen off the table between the cradles. Although what happened was a tragedy, he was happy to be seeing so much of Tom lately. Ever since Tom left Golden Gate to be a farmer Tharos felt as though a part of his heart left with his friend. Now perhaps that void would be filled. His eyes drifted back to the children softly breathing as they dreamed of worlds without corruption or hate. Tharos grew excited as he thought about his own wife back in the city, who was 8 months pregnant with their child. He heard Tom enter the kitchen and went to talk.

"So the king hasn't questioned why his aid keeps visiting a simple farmer yet?" Tom asked playfully. It was true Tharos was the aid to King Geoff II.

Tharos smiled back. "I simply tell him I'm going to halt an approaching band of Northland barbarians and he's too scared to stop me."

The friends laughed and forgot about the seriousness of the world outside the farm for a moment as they talked of small, unimportant things. The recent birth of a princess, the going prices for wheat at the market, whatever happened to that family of noblemen who went missing in the Northlands. Suddenly Tharos wiped the smile from his face.

"Come back to the city, Tom." Tharos pleaded. "Don't pretend you don't miss it."

Tom thought of Golden Gate. The pools of water that ran through the city, the large bronze gate that stood as a silent protector to the thousands of residents, the castle gardens that could brighten up the darkest cemetery. It was true he missed the cobble streets and large buildings, each one unique. And of course he missed Dalian Hall most of all. The beautiful and mysterious building raised in the center of the city. The only known proof behind the legend.

"Bring the children and I can set you up with almost any house you could want." pausing for a moment he locked eyes with Tom, "We need you to come back."

Tom kept a straight face and stood up. "That part of my life is over. And it should be for you too. You're going to be a father soon, dammit!" Tom took a deep breath and calmed down. "And I'm a father now. You can't ask me to go back there, you know that."

Tharos nodded and furrowed his brow, knowing any more attempts to change Tom's stubborn mind would be futile. "Very well. I'll be back soon with more milk."

Tom thanked him and let him out. It saddened Tharos to leave on a bitter note, but nothing more could be said. One day he knew Tom would realize that he needed them as much as they needed him. One day soon.

Tom felt a pang of guilt as he watched Tharos leave. Although he knew it would not be smart to return to Golden Gate and what he left in Dalian Hall, he would be lying if he said he did not miss that part of his life. He heard Drake start crying in the other room, waking Jack up who joined in the chorus of wails. Tom forgot all about the city as he went to go help his children.





Years passed and Tom, Drake, and Jack continued to live on the farm and were doing fine. Even at the young age of 10, Tom saw that Drake would be the larger of the twins. His height coupled with his thick arms were proof of this. Jack on the other hand, was skinny and a touch shorter. Tom watched as they sparred down in the field with wooden blades.

Drake had decided he wanted to learn how to fight after the city guard marched by their farm a few years back. Feeling like he had to match his brother, Jack took up the sword too. Drake was playing with Jack as if he were a younger sibling, not a twin brother. Tired of the games, Drake ended things with a wicked stab right below Jack's ribs. Jack yelped in pain as Drake raised his arms in victory.

"I win again! Do you think you'll ever beat me?" Drake taunted.

Jack's eyes filled with tears. He held his side and ran back towards the house, lip quivering. Tom knew he had to address this and got up. He started with Drake.

"You're getting very good, son."

Drake beamed with pride. "One day I'm going to be the captain of the city guard."

"But you still have to learn the true mark of a champion." Tom leaned down so he was face-to-face with Drake. "Humility."

Drake looked confused as he tried to think of what this meant. Tom saw this and chuckled softly. "That means knowing your limits and respecting them. Being gracious in victory will help you remain gracious in defeat."

Drake nodded thoughtfully. "What if I just don't lose."

Tom bit his lower lip. He knew that Drake would learn one day, but until then, he wouldn't be able to pierce the child's ignorance with this message.

"I'm going to go check on your brother now."

Jack wanted to run away and live in the forest, find a clearing where the animals and birds played in harmony and no one had to fight. But for now running away to his imagination would have to do. Not wanting to be found, Jack opened the cellar door and climbed down into the darkness. The door shut behind him with a loud thud, protecting him from the outside world and those damned wooden swords.

"Hello child."

Jack jumped and turned around. Sitting near the back of the cold, damp room was a man.

"Wh-who are you?" Jack felt his hands shaking as he backed into the door, which now seemed less like a protector as much as a blockade. The man smiled, at least Jack thought he saw a smile through the darkness.

"My name is Leonard Dalian." The man stood and stepped into the light of a candlelit lamp. Jack stared with wide eyes and mouth agape. He had heard of Dalian from father. In the legends, Dalian was the champion of Golden Gate. Single-handedly he was able to unite warriors from all corners of Aveen and form the Order of the Steel Wing. With his army, he saved the world from Tol'Amen, the First Demon, and his army of Lost soldiers. But Jack always thought that was just a myth with no truth to it. Yet here was a man claiming to be Leonard Dalian. Jack felt deep in his heart that this was all real.

"Aren't you dead?" Jack muttered, wiping beads of sweat off his forehead with a trembling hand. Dalian smiled, revealing pearly white teeth. He certainly had the look of a fabled hero; strong, confident, nice hair and an infectious smile.

"Yes Jack. For many years I have been waiting for someone like you."

Jack feebly pointed to his chest, lost for words. Dalian produced a large book caked with over an inch of dust.

"Take this and learn from it. It will give you the power to stand up to those larger and stronger than you." He handed Jack the book, who looked down at it to figure out what it was. The book resembled a spell book. Jack had seen them before in his few trips into the city. But this one was different. Jack felt his blood quicken when he touched the book. Jack felt the power of it. When he looked back up he found himself alone. Dalian had disappeared as mysteriously as he had shown up. The door swung open and Tom rushed in. Jack quickly tossed the book under a broken chair and out of sight.

"Jack! What are you doing down here? Are you alright?" Tom sighed quietly, catching his breath after frantically searching the entire house for his son.

Jack nodded, anxiously glancing back at the strange book.

"Sit down, Jack." Tom motioned to the chair the book was under and sat down on a box near it. "You know it doesn't matter if you're as good at fighting as your brother, right?"

Once again Jack nodded nudging the book backwards into the shadows with his leg.

"One day you'll find something you will be great at. Remember that." Tom smiled at his son as encouragingly as he could.

"I know. But right now I kind of just want to be alone." Jack lied. Tom agreed to let him be and got up. Jack closed his eyes and didn't open them until he heard the door open and close again, announcing his father's departure. Taking deep, excited breaths, Jack picked up the book he suddenly couldn't wait to learn from. Flipping open the cover, he already felt the power of it seeping into him. And he liked it.

Immediately though, he knew this was no ordinary spell book. While most of this books focused on the four elements; wind, water, fire, and earth, this one seemed to produce knowledge of shadow magic. Jack knew little of shadow magic except that it was forbidden in the kingdom. But Dalian wouldn't have told him to learn the spells if they weren't safe, so Jack continued to read, soaking in the dark thoughts. Perhaps his father was right. Perhaps this would be the thing Jack would be great at. He felt a chill run down his back but was comforted by it. Looking behind him, he saw Dalian smiling proudly as he watched Jack learn. All the years of waiting would soon pay off.





Hallow Rise currently a work in progress. Feel free to check out what I have so far and help me improve.



© Copyright 2012 Matt Gallet (mattyg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1881969-Hallow-Rise-Chapter-1