*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1882775-Scars-to-Heal
by Amay
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Emotional · #1882775
Sandra's victory over cancer leaves her wedding dress drawing attention to her scars
Scars to Heal




She stood in front of a full length mirror. Her mother sat behind her, hoping that the tears on her daughter’s face were tears of happiness, but in her heart she knew they weren’t. She could tell the difference immediately.

The first time Sandra tried on this dress the tears were joyous, that was six months ago. A well physical for work had turned their lives upside down. She’d gone from a mother with a healthy soon to be married daughter to a mother whose child had cancer.

She dedicated her energies to bringing her daughter back to health: attending doctor visits, waiting while surgeons skillfully removed the cysts, sitting through radiation treatments, chemo sessions and the sickness that followed, shedding her own tears, drying her baby girl’s tears, and praying incessantly.

It broke her heart that the wedding dress that her daughter loved so much now brought such heart wrenching pain. Sandra couldn’t see past the scars that actually saved her life. The scars that made it possible for the wedding plans to continue. The scars that proved in her eyes her future son-in-law was a wonderful man that would support Sandra through anything. She sighed and wanted to cry when the consultant said there was nothing she could do about the dress they’d already purchased.

“Well, we need a different dress, so start looking.” Her daugther had fought too hard not to have the wedding of her dreams.

Sandra was swept back into the dressing rooms while the consultant flitted around the showroom looking for the perfect dress. With her arms filled with beautiful gowns she headed back to see which one pleased Sandra.

She tried on each gown, but none of them gave her that special feeling, disheartened she prepared to leave the store empty handed. She grabbed her purse, and saw a hand sliding in with one more dress. “One more for me, please?” her mother requested.

She quickly slipped it on, and twirled for the consultant excitedly. “What do you think?” queried the consultant.

“I think,” Sandra twisted around to look in the mirror, “I think this is it!”

“It’s beautiful, and look,” she pulled the tag around. “It’s on sale! Are you ready to show your mom?”

“Yes!” Sandra said with confidence.

She owned the dress and worked it as she walked through the bridal shop to where her mother sat.

Tears streamed down her face when she saw Sandra walking with her head held high, without a hint of insecurity. The joy was back, the excitement of the impending nuptials sparkled in her daughter’s eyes. “Well, honey? It sounds so cliché, but is this the dress?”

Sandra stared at herself in the mirror, twisting and studying her reflection. She turned, looking into the eyes that had supported her all of her life and beamed, “Yes Mom, this is the dress.”

Hugs and tears of happiness filled the showroom. A victorious cancer survivor finally felt like the beautiful bride she deserved to be.


Word count 499
Prompt- scars

© Copyright 2012 Amay (amay5prm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1882775-Scars-to-Heal