*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1883622-The-book-of-Salen-chapter-1
by lilred
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1883622
part of a story i've been working on would love any feed back or advice you can give me.
The streets were full and lively, for the kings army had returned. I walked these streets every day; I knew every path above or below ground. There was a commotion up ahead; it was two of the king’s men. Each with swords they were preparing to fight; the prince’s were bound to be in the square somewhere if they saw them they would be exiled from the king’s army.
         “You two mustn’t fight here,” my voice rang out above all others. I caught a glimpse of what looked like one of the prince’s robes. Everything in the square had stopped everyone was looking at me. The swordsmen then turned to me; their swords adorned with jewels glinted in the sunlight.
         “Are you to fight us then, you known the law women are not allowed to fight it’s a man’s job,” they spat at almost the same time.
         “I do, so forgive me if a woman wishes not too see two of the king’s finest fighting in the square. I thought for sure you of all warriors would know the consequences.” I said in a rather harsh tone, for I found it unruly that women were made so incompetent. From the smile that no longer swept across my face, to the joy that was no longer in my green eyes they knew that it was for the best they leave it at that.
         “And how is it that you know the consequences, Kenna isn’t it?” He came out of nowhere I barely had enough time to bow before he was right in front of me. He reeked of self-confidence. For he was Prince Aiden where he lacks in pride he makes up for it in manslaughter.
         “Yes, and how is it that a prince is able to refer to a city woman by name being that you are royalty, are you not.”I replied as I stood to face him. I feared what he had to say next for the civilian had left his eyes, and the fighter had returned. He no longer looked at me but at the two men who had been about to fight.
         “Soldiers back to your house’s before I change my mind and remember what happened here, and Kenna do try ever so hard not to get involved in things only men should handle.” He left just like that his royal blue cape flying after him, the smell of pride left along with him. No doubt he has gone to tell his brother’s what had happened, and I would be punished once again.
         “Oh, Kenna your home from the square, what was all the commotion about,” my over joyful, but wonderful Aunt Daria asked me when I walked through the flap leading into our house.
         “Must I say what happened in front of uncle, he will only judge me? He will not give me a chance to make him understand,” I pleaded with Daria though I knew uncle was only in the next room.
         “Kenna! You caused the commotion,” he roared. I knew he would be quick to judge me, he would never understand what I had done.  “What did you do, and if it is as bad as it sounds… I will tell everyone what you really are. Tell me!”
I couldn’t take it I just couldn’t I ran out the door. I didn’t know where I was going; I would go wherever my heart took me.  I rode my horse through the city gates without a second thought, the hooves hitting the sand like the beat of the palace drums.  The night was long, and the desert seemed to go nowhere so I took the same route I had taken only a few years ago. The one that went from Salen to Zolen, it was long and treacherous but it was the only path I remembered.  It would be a long journey to Zolen; I figured it best to stop for the night. As I dismounted my horse there was a strange feeling in the air, like I was being watched by something or someone.  They came out of nowhere through the dust. The knives and arrows were all wide so at least they only wanted me a little scared.
The man who seemed to be the leader of the looters came towards me I stood my ground even though I was a women I took my stand against being pushed around like a piece of property. It had been moronic of me to travel these roads alone but I assume this is the god’s way of punishing me for being impulsive and bull headed.
“What is it with women and fleeing from Salen, do they really do the things we hear about,” the slime bucket swore to me like a dirty pirate. He was only as tall as the average man, but not nearly as good looking. This man and his friends looked as if they had spent the majority of their lives living out in tents.
         “No, for your information they do not do whatever it is you dirty scum bags hear about,” great now I was the one swearing like a dirty pirate. Something was very off how would they have known I came from Salen, when I was in the middle of the desert.
         “Oh great this one has a mouth. Why can’t women ever shut up, and do what they’re told.”
         “Because life doesn’t work that way, and even if you were half as good looking as the people I’ve met. Even then I wouldn’t take orders from you.” the man closed the distance between us in two strides.
“Well I guess we’ll just have to teach you a lesson about life then.” He grabbed my chin forcing me to look at him. He had a scar over his left eye just below his brow. His sandy blonde hair hung behind his ears. His grey eyes told me just how desperate he was. I couldn’t reach the sword that was safely tucked away in my saddle so I spit in his face. He let go backing away so he could wipe his face with his worn and tattered sleeve. I could tell that he wasn’t going to take kindly to my action and I realized that  I was alone on this one for there was no way out I would die, and never get to make the wrongs right.  I closed my eyes until I realized the smell of pride was nearby.  I sent him one message:
         Help me. Was all it took for the army to turn on its heels and start to head in this direction with all three princes’, and the king leading the way? I don’t know who got the message, but I knew it wasn’t Prince Aiden he was as closed as a mud brick.
         We heard the thundering of the horse’s hooves before we ever saw the army but this seemed to further enrage him and he turned towards me and slapped me hard against my cheek I fell into my saddle which gave me the opportunity to pull my sword from its hiding space in the seat. I turned taking the group of men by surprise and swung the hilt of my sword into the head of the man who slapped me. The rest of the looters stood shocked for a moment at their unconscious leader and then leapt into action coming at me all with their weapons drawn.
         “Drop your weapons,” it was Prince Fabian the oldest son. His voice rang with such authority that even I almost dropped my sword, but I would not be caught off guard by someone who looked like a pirate. The men dropped their swords bowing before the king but I stood defiantly holding tightly to the sword that could have me jailed for life.
         “Miss please put your weapon down as my son has asked,” the kings voice was so deep and powerful, but also very gentle. I wonder how long it took to get it that way, but I did as he said and put my sword back in the saddle holster reluctantly but still I did not bow.
         Prince Fabian and Dekker seemed appalled but Prince Aiden and the king were unfazed already accustom to my behavior. 
         “May I ask what you are doing out here in the middle of the night alone in possession of a sword,” he asked so gently I felt compelled to answer, but of course he was also the king.
         “I am making my wrongs right by finding my way back to where I belong,” my voice rang with plenty of remorse. For the things I had done to my people were results of me staying, and by my leaving Zolen.
         “This is the girl from the square is it not Aiden,” prince Dekker unlike his father and brothers spoke with somewhat of a child’s voice.
         “Yes her name is Kenna from what I was told,” he held nothing within himself, nothing I could feel. No sorrow, kindness, remorse, nothing it was weird for someone to be so unreachable to be so closed off.
         “Your highnesses with all respect I would like to get on with my journey the leader of these looters is currently unable to speak now but he should be awake in a few hours.,” hopefully the edge that had somehow crept into my voice would give them reason enough to let me continue my journey.
         The sand was like a tornado swirling in all directions, like a man made dust storm. In my conscience- self I felt my body hit the sand the feelings washing over me. The jassain were coming they were still out their though they had been ordered by the king to be disbanded.
I could feel my body being moved, I was being carried by someone. Someone who was closed off who had no feeling whether I realized it there or long after, it was Prince Aiden who carried me.
The light seeping through the windows of my room woke me. I stirred trying to remember how I got here and where exactly here was when a young girl dressed in a servants outfit walked in.
“The king will be glad you have awakened you gave him and the princes quite a scare when you collapsed.”
“Where am I.” it seemed like a simple question but one I still needed answered none the less.
“You are at the palace, lady don’t you remember.”
“No; how did I get here?”
“I’m not sure but I really must go and tell the king you’ve awakened I believe he wishes to see you.”
The young servant returned with an elaborate robe and a request for me to join the king and princes for lunch in the dining hall. After helping me into the gown I was showed to the dining hall by a guard that had been stationed outside my door for reasons I know not.
The dining hall wasn’t far from my room and when we entered I was met with a long table and at least ten pairs of eyes on me. I looked to see what about my appearance had caught their attention and I realized that I was wearing a beautiful floor length robe that was a rich green with gold embellishments. It was customary for the women to wear a hood over their hair to cover their face and it was one custom I did not mind. But when I sat down at the table I removed the hood as it was proper to allow the people to see your face and my long black hair flowed out catching the eyes of those who were not already staring. My guard took his place standing behind me and I could not help but wonder why?
“Lord King though I do not mind it I do not understand why I have been given a guard?”
“I’m afraid that even asleep your beauty is too much for even the strongest man to resist.”
         “Though I’ve heard this of my beauty I still cannot help but think you do not trust me but I do not blame you for you found me in the middle of the desert.”
“Perhaps we do not trust you but we also are concerned for you Kenna you gave your aunt and uncle quite a fright when you did not return after your argument.” The king spoke of my uncle with high regard for he was a trusted adviser to the king about what the commoners needed and I was the one who took advantage of his kindness.
“Does he know that I am safe?” Though I was still mad at him for never giving me a chance to explain he was still my uncle.
“He does and I have spoken with him on the matter of your attempt to leave and he asked that you stay and live in the palace with a guard of at least three until he thinks you can be trusted.”
“And the price to pay for my staying Lord King?”
“You don’t miss much do you? The price on which we have agreed is a more private matter we will discuss it after lunch.”
         “As you wish Lord King.”
Lunch passed with little more conversation. I did not talk unless talked too trying to remember the table etiquette Aunt Daria had tried so hard to teach me. 
         After lunch had passed the king ushered myself along with my guard and the princes into his private reading chamber.
“Guards if you would be so kind as to station yourselves outside this is to be a private conversation.”
The guards all gave a small nod and departed. The king motioned for us to have a seat in the chairs that surrounded his small fire place.
“Kenna I first want you to know that these terms are already settled and that they are final.”
“I figured as much Lord King now what is the price of my stay.”
“Your uncle and I decided that to pay for your stay you will marry Prince Aiden.”
I was shocked. I turned to look at Aiden who had sat to my left and for once he seemed to be showing emotion and he was shocked more shocked than myself. I guess he hadn’t even thought of this as what I might have to pay but marriage had been one of the first possibilities I had thought of. The king sat starring at us waiting for one of us to speak but it seemed that neither of us was able to say anything. After sometime of silence the king decided to talk.
“I know this is a shock but the arrangement is final and it will do neither of you any good to argue. Kenna I assume you’ve met your maid Adela she should be waiting for you in your rooms to help you get ready for you engagement party this evening. Your guard will escort you back.”
“Very well I will see you this evening.”
When I walked into my room Adela was waiting for me with a warm bath and a smile that made me cringe because everyone seemed happy with the marriage except Aiden and myself. 
After my hair dried Adela came back in with a beautiful rich red robe with gold embellishments no doubt the King had picked only the finest. The colors were the traditional bridal colors and it just reminded me of what tonight was all about. Once I was dressed my guard walked me to the doors leading into the ballroom where Aiden and the King were waiting.
“Well now that I know you are here Kenna I must be going inside you will be announced shortly.”
“Lord King you did not think I would miss my own engagement party.”
“I had my doubts; Aiden will know when you are announced.”
The King slipped through the grand doors and gathered the attention of his guests to make his speech. Aiden and I did not speak while we waited and when we heard the king announce us I silently slid the hood of my gown over my head covering my face. It is tradition that no one but the groom and family see the brides face before vows were exchanged. As the doors into the hall opened Aiden offered his hand to me and I gently placed my own in his. His hand was cold and rough and I wished that I could snatch mine away but I couldn’t because everyone was watching us as we walked into the ballroom. Aiden guided me carefully through the crowd of people to where his father stood waiting.
“Ladies and gentlemen I would like to introduce my son Prince Aiden and his bride Kenna.” Aiden stepped forward to address our guests and I followed to stand beside him but I would not say a word to our guests now or the rest of the night. I perhaps would never speak again. I was to be the princes’ wife I was there to support and encourage not to give opinions.
“Thank you all for coming tonight it gives me great pleasure to celebrate the news of my engagement with all of you.”
I believe that Aiden and I spoke to most everyone at the party. Though I did not actually speak I don’t think any of the women did. I still listened intently to the conversations Aiden took up with the other men. After what seemed like ages dinner was finally served and then the dancing began.
“Would you like to dance?” Aiden whispered in my ear as he held out a hand. I answered simply by placing my hand in his and allowing him to pull me gently out of my seat and walk me towards the dance floor. We walked to the center and Aiden cautiously placed his hand around my waist taking hold of my right hand with his other and started spinning me around the ballroom.
“Are you enjoying yourself?” Aiden whispered as he pulled me closer towards him.
“Would you like the truth or the proper answer?”
Aiden gave a soft chuckle as he spun me around.
“Why don’t you enlighten me with the truth?”
“Very well the truth is I’m dying to get out of this stuffy ballroom I fear that if I have to listen to one more person toast to our engagement I’m going to have to kill myself.”
Aiden laughed again. “All you had to do was ask.”
We stopped dancing and carefully as not to attract attention Aiden guided me outside to the courtyard.
“Shall we take a walk?” Aiden asked gesturing towards the stone path in front of us.
We walked down the path in silence when we reached a fountain Aiden walked ahead. He reached his hand down allowing it to skim the top of the water. He turned to face me and slowly he reached up and pulled the hood of my robe gently down so that he could see my face.
         “Why did you do that?”
“There’s no reason for you to hide it’s just the two of us,” Aiden took my hand in his before going on. “I want to get to know you Kenna the real you not the version society dictates.”
         “What do you want to know about me?” I asked my voice almost shaking. I hate questions.
“Everything anything I just want to know you.”
         “Well ask away I will answer as truthfully as possible.”
“Kenna why do you live with your aunt and uncle?”
His question shocked me I sat down on the bench in front of the fountain trying to figure out how to answer.
“You can tell me Kenna.” He said as he came to stand in front of me.
“You wouldn’t understand.”
         “Maybe not but I can try.”
I looked up in his gorgeous brown eyes and I saw how much he really cared and I decided to give him a truthful answer or one that was somewhat truthful.
“Alright five years ago my mom passed away and my dad had a lot to deal with he was a very powerful man and well he didn’t have time to look after me. I tried to stay to make it work but I couldn’t so my Aunt Daria who was my mom’s sister suggested that I come live with them my dad agreed and I’ve been here ever since.”
         “Your wrong about me not understanding my mom passed when I was probably three too young to remember but I do I remember her smile the way she laughed her kindness all of it.”
         “I’m sorry I didn’t know.”
“Don’t be it was a long time ago.”
         He looked up at the stars then back at me smiling. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him smile so much before.
         “Would you like to dance?”
And before I could answer he already had me up and spinning around the courtyard under the stars. When we finally stopped Aiden held me close not caring about being proper.
         “Do you even realize how beautiful you are?”
“You see beauty I see someone born into the wrong body.”
         “And why is that,” Aiden asked as he pulled me closer to him.
“Because it allows me to do nothing I cannot fight, I can’t talk, I can’t even go for a ride through the desert without having to worry about whether or not I’m going to be attacked by bandits. You see something that is beautiful I see something that keeps me from being me.”
         “But you truly are beautiful and it seems to me that you haven’t let it stop you from fighting or going for a ride in the desert.”
         His lips were inches from mine when I felt someone coming towards us.
“Aiden someone’s coming.”
         He released me immediately and silently pulled my hood over my face.
“Aiden,” it was prince Fabian. “Fathers been searching for you;” his eyes slid from Aiden to me and back obviously sensing he had interrupted something he got right to the point. “You’re both needed back inside for an announcement.”
         “Very well brother, were on our way.”          
Prince Fabian turned and walked back towards the palace without another word thankful to be out of the situation.
         “Shall we?” Aiden asked with an out stretched hand. I placed my hand in his and his fingers tightened around mine as we walked back inside for his father’s announcement. Aiden guided me back up to the high table. Where his father called everyone to attention and began his announcement.
         “First of all I would like to thank you all for coming tonight and it is with great honor that I invite all of you to join us tomorrow morning for the wedding ceremony of Aiden and Kenna. I hope to see you all there.”
         The announcement was somewhat of a shock to me I hadn’t thought it would come so soon but I suppose the king wished to finalize the agreement as fast as possible. Aiden and I stood by the doors leading out of the ballroom Aiden thanked people for coming and I gave a small nod to those who wished us luck on our marriage. Once everyone had left Aiden walked me up stairs to my room where Adela was waiting to help me get dressed for bed. Aiden said his good bye and then left as Adela ushered me inside. After she had helped me out of my robe and brushed my hair out. I slipped into the warm blankets and fell asleep.
© Copyright 2012 lilred (schdancer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1883622-The-book-of-Salen-chapter-1