*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1885431-The-Giggling-Girl
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1885431
What evil lurks in old houses?
The Giggling Girl



“So what do you think?” I looked at my wife expectantly.

She threw her arms around me and kissed my lips passionately, “I love it!”

I looked deeply into her baby blue eyes, and pushed a few strands of her brown hair back behind her ear, “That’s good, cause I already put a down payment on it.”

“Michael! I should be furious with you!” She slapped my chest playfully, then leaned up to kiss me again.

“God, can’t you guys get a room.”

I looked toward the door and my seven year old daughter was walking in dragging her suit case behind her, “Speaking of rooms Miss. Abigail, let me show you to yours.”

In the most aristocratic accent that she could muster, she replied, “Of course darling, but someone must first take my bags.”

“I’ll get right on that Ma’am.” I grabbed her bag with my left arm and picked her up with my right. I carried her down the hall, and into her room, as I placed her down I heard her giggle. Her face filled with awe as she turned around.

“I get my own bed!” She ran and jumped on top of it.

“Yeah, the house came completely furnished, look there’s even a tea set.”

“Someday I must have you over for tea.”

I smiled, “Yes you simply must.”

I heard her start giggling again as I walked out of the room. My wife wrapped her arms around me, “Let’s get unpacking.”

That first night seemed quiet, the house had its normal settling sounds that all old houses get, my wife and I had taken the room across from my daughter’s, and we were in negotiations for the third room to become either a library, or a game room. I woke hearing a floor board creak and giggling coming from across the hall. I looked at the clock, it read three a.m. and I had to get up in three hours for work. I nudged my wife, “Your daughter is up.”

“No Dan that won’t fit in there.” As much as I was intrigued by my wife’s words I knew from past experience that there was going to be no waking her up. So I stood up and walked across the hall, knocking lightly on my daughter’s door, I heard more giggling and the bed spread rustle.

I quietly opened up the door; my daughter was lying on the bed with her eyes closed as tight as she could make them, “Abby, you need to be sleeping.”

She opened her eyes, “Sorry Daddy.”

I walked over to her bed, “Are you having trouble sleeping?”

“No daddy, it was Cindy, she wanted to have a tea party.”

I smiled at her and tucked the blanket under her chin, “And who is Cindy?”

“The little girl who lives here, she’s almost my age, I told her it was bed time and since I’m older I’m the boss, but she says that’s not true.” She looked at me quizzically, “Isn’t it true Daddy?”

“Well I suppose, if you’re older.”

She turned her head and seemed to look behind me, “See I told you.”

I turned and looked behind me, half expecting to see someone, then shook my head, “Well, I am definitely the boss and I say it’s time for all little girls to be in bed for the night.” I gave her a kiss on the forehead and walked toward the door, just as I was about to shut it, I took a look around the room, my heart jumped into my throat. I could have sworn for just a second there was a girl standing in the mirror grinning at me. I flicked on the light.

“Dad, I’m trying to go to sleep.”

“Sorry honey.” I took a glance around the room, paying special attention to the mirror and the area around it, but I guess it was just my imagination.

The next night as I went to bed, I told my wife about what had happened. “You’re just letting your nerves about moving into a new place get to you. I slept like a baby last night.”

“That reminds me, did you have any interesting dreams?”

“Now that you mention it, I dreamt about you and me fixing up that other room in there, and putting all my books in it.”

I hit her with a pillow, “It’s going to be a game room.” She laughed, that’s when I heard giggling coming from across the hall again.

I started to get up but my wife put a hand on my shoulder, “I’m up tonight, I’ll take care of it.” She walked out the door and after about five minutes I hear her shriek out my name, “Dan!”

As I entered my daughter’s room, I heard two female voices say, “Come play with us Danny. Forever and ever and ever.”

I reached over and turned the light on; my wife and daughter were standing over in the corner laughing, “Hah! Hah! Very funny!”

I went back to my room, and went to bed. I woke up sometime later to more giggling, I looked over and my wife was sound asleep next to me, the clock read three again. I started to get up but I couldn’t move, it felt like something was holding me down, that’s when I noticed the giggling was coming from my room. I saw a girl standing in my doorway, she had a creepy grin on her pale face, and she had dark lines under her eyes, but the worst thing was her neck the skin and muscle had been tore out, showing her spine. She began to giggle again, “You can be my new daddy.” She raised a butcher knife and drove it into my neck all the while giggling.

I came too in my daughter’s room, Cindy giggled, as we sat around the tea set, “Would you like some more tea daddy?”

© Copyright 2012 Jonathon Winters (clark0016 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1885431-The-Giggling-Girl