*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1885752-The-Serpent-Medallion
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1885752
When she stole the medallion, did she reactivate the curse?
The Baroness Shanita, her blond hair bound in a tight bun, stood on the west parapet of the Cranshaw Castle. She watched the funeral caravan as it moved toward Serpent Mountain. Behind her, the rising sun illuminated the Crest of the peak, which spread like the hood of a serpent over the pass. As she turned her back on the mountain, she felt the child move within her womb. Yes, she though pausing at the top of the steps and placing her right hand over her stomach, you know the significance of this day. Your father has claimed his inheritance and soon you will be the heir apparent, but without your Grandfather’s debts.

Slowly and cautiously, she descended the stone steps and walked across the courtyard to the manner house. As she approached the front door, her brother-in-law, Commander James Cranshaw opened the door for her and stood aside as she entered the house.

“Thank you, Commander,” she smiled, as they walked toward the staircase, “but shouldn’t you let the private assigned to that post open the door.”

“No, Baroness,” he grinned revealing canine teeth shaped like the fangs of a serpent, “it is my duty to protect the heir to this castle. If anything should happen to you or your unborn son, I would die and not some careless subordinate. If I’m going to meet death, then it will be because of my own stupidity and no one else’s.”

At the foot of the stairs, she stopped and laid her hand on the commander’s arm. “I suppose you want to escort me up the stairs.”

“Of course,” together they climbed the stairs and then walked to the Baroness’s bedroom. At the door, Commander Cranshaw removed something from the pocket of his jerkin. “Please accept this as a token of my loyalty to your son.” He handed her a silver and gold pendant suspended from a gold chain.

Her brows wrinkled as she studied the gift. The pendant, shaped like two ivy vines strangling a two-headed serpent, glowed as it lay in her left hand. “What is it?” She could feel power from the pendant flowing into her body. Then picking up the pendant, Commander Cranshaw fastened it around her neck.

“It will protect you and the child from the Cranshaw curse.”

“I don’t need...”

“The pendant glowed when you held it,” he hissed. “Proof that you stole the Serpent Medallion from my father’s body before the undertaker sealed the casket. You may not need the protection, but your son does; at least, until he is born.”

Serpents crawled up her spine, as she pushed passed her brother-in-law and went straight to her jewelry case. I know I closed and locked that case, she thought staring at the open case which now sit on her dresser. On top of the other pieces of jewelry lay the gold two-headed serpent medallion, she had stolen from her father-in-law’s corpse.

“Commander,” her anger rose, bile from the stomach of her fear, as she turned to face him, “your father had no right to take that medallion to his grave; especially, with the debts he left. I can sell that for....”

“No one will buy a curse!” He turned his back and left the room.

“Damn superstitious bastards,” she closed the jewel case and sit down on her bed. “No wonder they all die in debt.”

Word Count:562
© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1885752-The-Serpent-Medallion