*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1887261-Embargo
by ~MM~
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1887261
Coffee, Truck & Line prompt.
Prompt: use the words Coffee, Truck & Line.  Max 300 words.



Asher sipped the tea and looked skeptical.  The leaves were more aromatic than his usual coffee blend, but the bitter tang was refreshing.

“So you expect me to announce to the council, just like that, that there’s an embargo between our countries, purely because the line managers can’t control the workers?”  He snorted.  “I can’t see the council, or your parliament, have any truck with that.” 

Matti narrowed her eyes.  “Can’t control the workers?”  She repeated.  “Can’t control...  The laborers can barely afford to feed their families!  Between taxes and undercuts, the budget’s blown and once again it’s my people who feel it.”  She forced a breath out between her teeth. Stay calm.  “Bottom line is, unless you reduce the export rates, I can’t stop the workers from rioting and your trucks won’t get through.”  She paused.  Continue stalling? 

No, glancing at the foreign trader, she saw a slow glaze of uncertainty creep across his face.  Finally!  The sedative was working.

Not enough to make Asher sleepy, just (fingers crossed, she prayed) enough to make him amenable.  Open to suggestion.  She felt her lips pinch together, it had already taken plenty of guile to make him drink the dratted stuff.  Too bad it reacted with caffeine.  He’d have downed it quick enough in an expresso.



Word Count: 226
© Copyright 2012 ~MM~ (miget_mushroom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1887261-Embargo