*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1887870-SPIRIT-OF-ALTRUISM
Rated: E · Essay · Community · #1887870
What it was like the day of the Alfred P. Murrah federal building got bombed.
The floor started trembling, a ka-boom echoed through downtown, windows shattered, and whole offices disappeared.  The smokey, dusty air was thick, and the tension in the air left hurt people confused and wondering around, stunned by what was going on.

Most of the survivors didn't realize what had just happened to them, some didn't even realize they were hurt.  All they knew was that their friends, co-workers and children were buried in the rubble.  Civilians and survivors started rescuing others from the building.  So that by the time first responders arrived there was nothing but mass confusion.  Everyone wanted to help, policy didn't matter at the very moment in time.  The main goal for everyone that day and for the days to come, was to find the survivors.  This event had an impact not only on the government but on the whole country's sense of security.

April 19, 1995 at 9:02am will forever be embedded in the hearts of Oklahoman's.  An explosion had taken off the north side of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City.  It was 4pm when President Clinton declared a federal emergency, call this event "The worst terrorist attack on American soil".

Oklahoma help set the guidelines for such situations, by everyone pulling together for a greater cause.  One good thing that came out of this tragic event was new policies on how to respond to such an event.

Oklahoma was not alone in showing the world that the United States is the true 'Spirit of Altruism'.
© Copyright 2012 mystic angel (sassyflirter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1887870-SPIRIT-OF-ALTRUISM