*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1890245-When-I-see-you-again
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #1890245
He peered through the window, the future filling his thoughts.
When I see you again...

By: Bikerider



He peered through the window, the future filling his thoughts. Muffled noises rose from downstairs, people were gathering, the party would begin soon, his mother's idea. He turned and looked around his room. His Little League trophies sat on top of the bookshelf, a model airplane hung from the ceiling, the prom picture next to his bed. He mumbled, "I won't be taking those things with me."

A gentle knock at the door made him smile. The door opened and a slab of light filled with the noise from downstairs fell into the room. She closed the door, the dark hush returned.

"You okay?" Marie asked.

"Just taking a last look around."

Marie stood next to him, put her head on his shoulder, the aroma of lilacs drifted from her hair. "You'll be back, you know that don't you?"

"Sure," he whispered. "I'll be back for you."

"And I'll be waiting." She kissed his cheek gently, nuzzled her face into his neck, her breath softly caressing his soft skin. They sat on the edge of his bed, their fingers entwined. "Everyone's proud of you," she said. "Your mom calls you 'Her Marine.'" She looked up at him, smiled.

"I know." He reached out, touched her cheek, let his fingers linger on her smooth skin, took her face between his hands, looked deeply into her blue eyes. "I don't want to say good-bye, not to you."

"We're not saying good-bye, not forever, anyway." Their lips met in a gentle kiss made salty by their tears.

Their lips separated, he lowered his eyes to the floor trying to hide the sadness he knew was there, whispered, "I'm afraid."

"Don't be afraid, you'll be okay, I just know it."

"No, it's not the war I'm afraid of."

"Then what..."

"...Losing you." He reached out, took her hand, pressed it to his chest.

She moved her hand up, stroked his chin, her eyes searching his face. "How could you not know?" New tears fell from her eyes, dripped from her chin. He reached out, wiped her tears away, brushed blond curls from her forehead, his thumb traced the curve of her lips.

"I'm sorry." He leaned in, their foreheads touched. "I just want to be sure."

"I love you, and that you can be sure of." A tone of admonishment filled her voice. She ran her fingers through his short, dark hair, let her hands fall to his shoulder. She smiled.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Don't be," she whispered. "I love you, and I want you to know that; now more than ever."

"I love you," he said. They embraced.



The pink of dawn crept into the sky as they stood at the front door holding in a tight embrace. "I'll be waiting for you," she said with a smile that did not reach into her eyes.

"I'll bring your engagement ring," he whispered, "when I see you again."




Word Count: 496

Submitted to: Coloring Your World contest, week ending 9/9/12. 500 words or less: When I see you again...

© Copyright 2012 Bikerider (bikerider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1890245-When-I-see-you-again