*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1891482-Fire-and-Snow-Brownies
Rated: E · Other · Food/Cooking · #1891482
Darkly delicious, spicy and cool, these are dynamite brownies.
Fire and Snow Brownies

Adapted from Nigella Lawson, Feast

Makes about 20 generous brownies



** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **



Since baking is more science than art, I prefer to weigh my ingredients whenever possible. But if you are more comfortable with measures, I have calculated (to the best of my ability) what they would be. I also give both imperial and metric measurements.

The chili powder gives great depth to the rich chocolate flavor and the white chocolate chips give a burst of cool sweetness on the tongue.

For chocolate, I like using Callebaut Bittersweet, but it is a more expensive brand. Baker’s choice premium dark chocolate gives an excellent result as well and is more economical.

I have also found that different chili powders result in slightly different flavors.I have used both chipotle chili powder  (a slightly smokier flavour), and ancho chili powder.



375g (13 oz.) unsalted butter                                        

375g (13 oz.) best-quality dark chocolate                    

6 eggs

350g (12 oz.) (2 cups) white sugar                                                            

1Tbsp real vanilla extract

225g (8 oz.) (2 ¼ cups after sifting) cake and pastry flour

1Tbsp chili powder

1 tsp. salt

250g (9 oz.) white chocolate chips

2 tsp. icing sugar for dusting





1.          Pre-heat the oven to 175°C (350°F) and line the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper.

2.          Melt the butter and chocolate together in a large heavy-based pan over a low heat

3.          In a bowl beat the eggs together with the sugar and vanilla

4.          Allow the chocolate mixture to cool a little, then add the egg and sugar mixture and beat well.

5.          Fold in the flour, chili and salt

6.          Then stir in the white chocolate chips. Beat to combine and pour the brownie mixture into the prepared tin.

7.          Bake for about 25 minutes (or more – you can tell when the top dries to a slightly paler brown speckle while the middle remains dark, dense and gooey.

8.          Cut into squares while still warm and very gooey and pile up on a large plate, sprinkling with icing sugar pushed through a small sieve.



© Copyright 2012 Kirsten Marion (kirhyanna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1891482-Fire-and-Snow-Brownies