*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1892642-Mail-ordered-Redemption
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Tori
Rated: E · Other · Religious · #1892642
A western Romance story of Redemption
"Everything's fine." I whispered the words under my breathe.A lie.I knew it was.Everything wasn't fine.Still I cleaved to those two words as I neared my destination.I gazed at the crumpled, almost unrecognizable paper in my hand.I held it ever since I set out on my journey, even slept with it close to my chest.I opened the worn paper and read the words that were like a promise to my heart.

My dearest Nadine,

When the stagecoach arrives I will be waiting for you at the two story hotel named Westward Inn.Where I will then take you to the town of Stony-ridge where I know your new life will begin.I cannot promise you it will be easy, but I do know it will be worth it.Just ask for the name Neil Walker and I will know you are the one.Oh and darlin'? Don't be to hard on me. I won't be to talkative, might not even look your way.Just give me some time, because what I really need now is you.I just don't realize it yet.

Neil Walker



Not much of a romantic, but It's as if I felt a special connection with the person who wrote those words.I know it sounds crazy, I barely know him. It's just, It was as if he knew exactly how I felt, knew exactly what I longed for.A fresh start.To put all my worries and troubles behind me.The coach slammed into a hole and nearly threw me into the other passengers seated across from me.

"Getting a little rough out here." An Englishman seated across from me said to no one in particular.He twisted his handlebar mustache as if the jolt suddenly knocked it out of place.

"I would be glad to never see this horrid mode of transportation ever again." A middle aged woman besides him harrumphed and flipped open a green silk fan.

"It's European." The woman flashed a prideful smile to me.

"I'm sorry?" I eyed her in confusion.

"My fan, I saw you eyeing it."

I hadn't even realized I'd been staring.

"Oh I'm sorry, my mind is just a little jolted.It is lovely though."

That seemed to ease the women and she continued to wave the fan pridefully across her face.

"Meeting someone eh?"

"Richard Baldwin!" The women nudged him in the side with her little elbow.

"It alright." I suppressed a giggle.

"Yes I am meeting someone." I looked down at the worn paper in my hand.

"Ah, young love. Remember that Effie?" The women waved her fan faster and rolled her eyes.

"Oh Richard, you and your romantic notions."

I gave in to my giggle.

"Writer of fiction, he is." She leaned in closer to me and guarded her mouth with her fan. "A ton of wish-wash if you ask me."

"I heard that." His eyebrows wrinkled in betrayal.

"That's why I feel in love with her you know.She keeps it real.Keeps me on my toes." He gave a mischievous wink and I blushed.

"Oh for the love of humanity Richard you are such an outspoken man."

The women seemed to give in. "And that's why I love you."

They eyed each other, and it was as if I suddenly didn't exist.I opened the paper once more and stopped myself from reading it.Instead I traced the curvy handwriting with my fingertips and imagine how he'd look.Handsome, I hoped.With a big smile and kind eyes.I pushed those thoughts away as the driver slowed as they announced we had arrived at our destination.My stomach tumbled and my heart threatened to beat out of my chest.The coach door swung open and I was the first out.

"Watch yer step Ma'am." The coach driver gently held my hand.

"Thank you." As soon as my feet hit the ground I took in the grand state of Texas.The late July heat swarmed around me, trapping my breath in my throat.The sun beamed from above and I shielded my eyes with my hand and scanned the humble adobes.Building that man built with his own bare hands.Maybe they were even like me, looking for a fresh start.Ready to build their life here and settle down.I had always hoped I could do that one day.To just stop for one moment without my world spinning so fast without having any say to slow down, or get off.

"You alright Ma'am?" The coach driver stepped beside me.My suitcase griped in hand.

I shook off my thoughts. Put yourself in the now Nadine.Your new life starts today.

That thought seemed to just overwhelm me.I let a huge smile split my face and took the suitcase from the man.

"I'm just wonderful, Thank you so much." The drivers face lite up like the Texas sun.

"Always nice to see a pretty gal like you with young hope in her eyes." He smiled, and seemed to lift his shoulders higher and went back to his work.

I was glad I could put a smile on his face.Something I had never done in my past.Although I had my doubts about my future I didn't want to look back, didn't want to dwell on my past.This was my new start.I inhaled a sharp breath and made my way down the board walk.Passed a mercantile and scanned the buildings for the Hotel.Their it was.My heart began to beat fast as if it were horse that would gallop off into the Texas hills.Sitting there across the dirt road street.It's rustic tall appearance made it look like a castle out here.I could smell the fresh paint and realized it's shingles had recently been painted white, and it's shutters a dark green.

I inhaled a sharp breath and crossed the street.A few steps closer to my future.
© Copyright 2012 Tori (survivorgirl93 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1892642-Mail-ordered-Redemption