*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1893553-The-Accident-take-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1893553
This is the second attempt on this writing. I hope it conveys deeper feeling.
Chapter 1


Beep, beep, beep . . .
“Thirteen year old male . . .”
“Auto accident . . .”

Burning, my face is burning. People, noise, something isn’t right. I have to open my eyes, but I don’t want to, but I have to. Something isn’t right. Why does my face hurt?
“Josh, can you hear me?” a man’s voice asks. “Josh, I’m Dr. Jackson. Can you open your eyes?”
Why do my eyes burn? What is going on? It hurts to move them. Ouch, the light is stabbing, Sh*!, it hurts so bad. Why are my eyes so heavy?
“Mom?” Agh my throat is sore. “Mom?” I can’t get a sound out. Have I been eating sand? Something is over my mouth. What’s happened?
“Josh, can you open your eyes and look at me?” the man asks again.
The light stabs, burns, hurts; my eyes feel so gritty. Why is there a poster of a waterfall on the ceiling? Ow, the light hurts too bad.
“Mom!” chest hurts, burns.
“Josh,” the man says. “Can you look at me?”
I don’ want to open them. Where am I? There’s that waterfall. Eyes hurt to move. There he is. “Mom, Dad?”
“Josh, can you squeeze my fingers?” the man asks.
I can feel them against my hand. Why is it taking so much to squeeze them? My arm throbs.
“Very good Josh. Do you know what happened?”
Another stupid question. Da#% my arm hurts. My face burns, my arm hurts, my mouth and eyes feel like they have sand in them. I have to get up. Owwwwww . . . that hurts. What’s on my neck. Have to sit up. Owwwww. . . .

So tired. I don’t want to get up. Got to turn that alarm off. Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep. . .  Fine I’ll get up. I hate it. My eyes just don’t want to open, they’re so dry.
Waterfall on the ceiling. Wait, something isn’t right. Ow, my face hurts. My arm really hurts. Da#% that hurts too much.

“Josh,” it’s  a woman’s voice. “I’m Sally, your nurse. How are you feeling?”
Thats a really dumb question. “Where am I?” st!#, my voice hurts!
“You’r in the ER, you were in an accident.” She pushed a button on something around her neck. “Dr. Jackson, Josh is awake.”
“Mom.” Raspy, hollow sounding; lips cracking.
“She can’t come to you.”
Something being lifted off my mouth, what is it? Wet, soft, oh that feels good on the lips.
“What is your pain level?” the nurse asks.
“I hurt,” my voice hurts, my body hurts!
“Can you rate it for me on a scale of one to ten.”
“No! I want my Mom!” my throat hurts, I can’t do that again.
“Hello Josh,” a man said coming into the room. “I am Dr. Jackson. You have kept us busy. How are you feeling?”
“I want my mom!” throat still burns, but lips felt better. Oh God, don’t cry. Have to wipe them away before they run down my cheek. Sh#%, my arm hurts.
“You have to stay very still,” the nurse instructed.
“You mom can’t come to you right now,” the doctor replied. “You have to stay very still until we get you down to Xray. You have been in an accident. Do you remember anything at all?”
“No!” Accident? Where are my mom and dad? St$%, where are my mom and dad? Dam# I hurt everywhere. This is stupid, I have to find my mom and dad. If I can just get up. Owwww, the pain in blinding! Chest burning, Oh God, don’t cough, that hurts too much, too . . .

The bed feels good, I don’t want to get up. Really bizarre dreams! A stupid hospital with people asking the same question over and over again. Bunch of Da#@ morons.
My mouth is so dry, my eyes are heavy, must have slept really hard. Why is there a picture of mountains on my ceiling? Why is the light on low? Wait, this isn’t my room! @#*!, where am I?
“Josh,” a voice next to the bed.
Who is that? It’s the dam# hospital! What’s over my mouth. Have to get it off. Ow, that hurt, why does my arm hurt. A cast, great that is all I need; Da#@ it is heavy.
“Josh, I am Lori from Child Life Services. You were in an accident and are in the hospital. Do you remember what happened?”
“No.” Oh great tears again. Great hear comes someone else. What stupid clothes. What is he holding?
“Hi Josh, I am Dr. Grey. You are in ICU, how are you feeling?”
“I want my mom!” Boy, these people were thick! Why won’t they get my mom.
Lori put her hand on his shoulder. “She can’t come to you Josh; I’m sorry. Right now focus on the doctor.”
I don’t want to focus on the stupid doctor, I want my parents! I want to go home.
“Josh, you were in a car accident and thrown from the car, hitting a guardrail.” He looked down at the digital pad in his hand. “You have bruising to your liver, spleen and one kidney. Your face and arms have second and third degree burns. The humerus in your right arm, that is the upper arm bone. You also broke both,” he looked at the boy, “the lower bones in your legs. Somehow you were fortunate enough not to have any severe head or neck injuries.”
Hit a guardrail?! Burns? Fire? I was thrown. What about my mom and dad. What fire — what was on fire. No dam# tears.
“Josh, when you hit the guardrail you damaged your spine. There is too much swelling for me to know the long term effects yet. But at this point you have no feeling or motor control from the waist down. I’m sorry.”
“I want my mom and dad!” Are they mad at me? Is that why they won’t come to me? Do they hate me? Oh God, it’s all my fault!
“Josh, I am sorry but your parents didn’t make it,” Lori said softly. “It’s only because you were thrown from the car that you made it.” She watched him struggle with what he had been told.
No, no, no, they are lying! They have to be! My mom and dad are NOT dead. They must really hate me to tell me such lies.
“We are trying to find a relative who can come to the hospital,” she finished.
“Go away and leave me alone!” It was a lie, they were all liars. His mom would come in anytime. My chest is really burning, it hurts, no, no, no not the coughing. Something cold in my hand . . .
© Copyright 2012 DBMacks (dbmacks at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1893553-The-Accident-take-2