*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1893772-Dont-look-behind-you
by Tracy
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #1893772
A short story about a Halloween Ghost
I will never forget that night.  I wish I could forget but thanks to my nightmares I remember every detail of that evening on halloween night.  That was the night I became a believer of all things unseen.
Halloween was my favorite time of year, what other night do you get to dress up and be something else besides your own ordinary self.  At the age of nineteen, I couldn't wait to go to the halloween party that awaited me.
Dressed in my cheshire cat costume which was a purple and pink stripped dress, with ears and stalkings to match I knew I would be the hit of the party.  Entering my friend lisa's house I was surprised to see only six of my closest friends standing around.  I guess this particular year there was something bigger and better going on somewhere else and the six of us didn't get the memo.  We opted to just make the best of it but little did I know we where making the worst of it, for me anyhow.  Someone suggested that we do something in the spirit of halloween.  Lisa went up to her attic to get her mom's old wigi board.  No one in the group had ever played with one.  She came down with two boards instead of one, which I found odd.  I wanted nothing to do with this experiment, but decided to sit with the group so I didn't want to look like a big scardy cat what with the costume and all.  Lisa asked me to hold the extra board that they were not using.  I didn't see any harm in it so I said I would.  I was sitting on the floor with the extra board in my lap listening to the questions they were asking.  No reply from the spirit board.  Then someone from the group asked it where it was.  For the first time it slowly started to move across the board spelling out none other than my name, Tracy.  It took me a second to register what had just happened, that is when I flung the board I was holding to the other side of the room.  Embarrassed about my stupid reaction I demanded to know who spelled out my name.  Everyone was laughing uncomfortably but no one would fess up.  Lisa suggested that we do something else.  We turnned on the music and things lightened up.
It was around two am, I was tired and ready to go.  I did not have to worry about walking home because I lived in a small town and it was onley two blocks from Lisa's house or at least that's what I thought then.  I was walking on the sid ewalk listening to the fall leaves crunch under my feet, at that moment I stopped dead in my tracks over come with an uneasy feeling that feeling began to grow when the leaves continued to cruch behind my me.  I turnned around and my first thought was did someone slip acid into my drink.  Horror took over I stood there froze by fear.  The thing was grinning at me from one year to the next, it's teeth a yellowish green, it's eyes red like lasers burning through me, long white hair, and all white skin that was so thin I could see every outline of every bone.  Face sunken in, ribs sticking out, but the worst part was that it had one leg that touched the ground; the other leg was half a leg with the foot dangling where the knee cap should have been.  I broke into a run.  The thing began to laugh, the most evil laugh that was so high pitched I thought my ears would bleed.  It sent shrills through me.  I looked behind me; how it was keeping up with me I do not know.  It was hobbling back and forth chasing me.  The foot on it's half of leg was swinging back and forth.  It kept laughing.  I was running as fast as I could.  My heart was pounding almost as loud as that awful laugh.  The creature of evil chased me to my house that night.  I made it to the front door of my house and locked all three locks.  I got up the nerve to look at the window, the creature was gone.
Maybe I could have convinced myself that it wasn't real.  Maybe I could have it put it behind me.  The problem is that it comes for me every halloween.  One halloween I was sleeping in my bed when I woke up to see it standing over my bed.  It started to come for me so I ran into the my bedroom closet.  It banged on my closet door until the sun started to come up.  Sometimes I pick up the phone to call someone and there it is on the other end of the line laughing with that horrid laugh.  If it ever catches me what will happen, I do not know.  It may only visit me on halloween but it haunts me in my nightmares, however my nightmares are about to come to life, it is starting to get dark; it will soon be halloween night.
© Copyright 2012 Tracy (tdiehl27 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1893772-Dont-look-behind-you