*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1893860-Lazy-Bones
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1893860
a story about a young woman who become lazy after an operation
Ruby looked out of the window of her apartment and watched the snow fall for the second time that morning. The streets were covered and people were slipping and sliding to their destinations. It had been six months since her knee operation and she was too lazy to go back to work. Her day consisted of watching television and surfing the net. The doctors assured her that she was ready to go back to work but she complained of pain so she could stay home.

Ruby loved hanging around the house and being lazy. For the last five years she had worked very hard and the time off was just what she needed. She became hooked on the soap operas and fast food was her best friend. Her family and friends tried to contact her but she ignored her doorbell and most telephone calls. Solitude had become very important and she had no desire to talk to anyone but her mom on occasion.
The thought of going back to work had crossed her mind, but she tossed the thought immediately. Ruby was not ready to give up her care free life and everyone, including her employer, would have to understand. In her mind, this was the good life and it felt amazing.

One day as she was watching television and munching on some potato chips, the phone rang and the answering machine picked up the call. It was her job calling to tell her that she was no longer an employee and her belongings would be mailed to her. Ruby looked at the phone with surprise and panicked. She couldn’t understand how the company could let her go while she was on sick leave. What she didn’t realize was that the company she worked for was a private company and after a certain amount of time, they were not obligated to hold her job.

She immediately called her mom and started sobbing on the phone. Her mom calmed her down, told her she had been acting irresponsible, and suggested that she start looking for another job.

The next day Ruby hit the pavement in search of work and vowed never to become that lazy again.


© Copyright 2012 Jonnigirl (jonnigrl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1893860-Lazy-Bones