*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1894684-Climbing-Toward-Dreams
by NancyB
Rated: · Other · Contest Entry · #1894684
Flash Fiction Entry 09/30/12
Climbing Toward Dreams

Barb had finally agreed to accompany her friends on an Outward Bound adventure . She told them there was no way she could participate but she would watch and take some pictures for them. They looked at each other and winked.
When the group of four friends arrived at the camp to sign in, Barb was assigned Frank as a adventure coach. She had tried to tell them she was just observing but they just started setting out equipment and giving instructions.
Frank said, "let's get started" and moved her wheelchair to the base of a tree where he placed a harness around her. "OK it's time to climb. Place your hands in these crevices" he instructed and "pull yourself up out of your chair".
So she did as instructed and swung out of her wheelchair with her legs dangling. The harness tightened gave support . Barb found herself in the tree and continued searching for crevices.
At the top of the tree, Barb looked out. She never dreamed she would be able to once again climb trees which had been such a part of her childhood. She forgot her legs no longer worked.
"Here's the zip line. Pull yourself out of the tree and hold on" , Frank directed.
Barb could not see the ground through the branches. She realized this was the only way down. The wind rushed by her as she slid toward the earth. She held on tight as the harness slowed her descent into a safety net. A cheer went up from her friends and other campers.
Her friend said, "If you can do this, you can do anything you might dream of. So climb for the stars and we will be your safety net.
© Copyright 2012 NancyB (nancypenlens at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1894684-Climbing-Toward-Dreams