*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1895541-Haunted-Story-for-Art
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Mystery · #1895541
A scary story that I created in my Art class 3 years ago for Halloween.
Chapter 1: The Hospital

“So yeah, you’re new and all. Let me show you how to do some stuff.” The woman popped her pink bubble gum and began walking ahead of me.

“So there’s the bathroom if you… you know… have to go. Stay to the right when you walk; it’s like a highway. Always walk on the right side of the hall or you’ll end up crashing, ya’ know?” She popped her gum once more. I drowned her voice out and looked about while I followed behind her. The patients looked at me. Some smiled, some frowned, some drooled, and some looked like they were looking into space. I pitied the “prisoners” that were trapped in this hospital.

“And to your left is the lunch room,” the woman rambled on. I continued to observe with eyes of wonderment. Patients wore grey colored tops and pants. They lingered about slowly. Some lingered to the TV, gazed with bewilderment. Others lingered to the dreary cracked windows and gawked. It was horrible and sad to look at.

“So did you get all that?” I turned my head toward her.

“Yes.” I nodded my head. She stared at me with distaste.

“Well if you need help or have a question just let me know. You know where I am.” She handed me the clipboard that she holding.

“Well,” she sighed.

“Welcome to Gregory Cemetery’s Asylum.” She then turned upon her heels and turned a sharp right.

So there I stood in the middle of the hallway, young and vulnerable. I was 24 with a bachelor’s degree and masters. I was single and I lived alone with a dog and a cat for company. Spotting a cart in front of me, I placed the clipboard on it. I think took out a black hair bow out of my pocket and put my blonde shoulder length hair into a pony tail.

“Let’s get down to business shall we?” I mumbled under my breath as I picked up the clipboard. A sudden vigorous tap came to my shoulder. I turned around and gazed up way high.

“Mr. Vincent is unhappy with the state that he is in. He is very cold and he would like some blankets.” The speaker was a man who was bald and had a huge unhappy expression. He wore total black which clashed with my white smock and skirt

“Mr. Vincent? And what room number and floor is he on?” I questioned.

“Vincent Mallard, room 23 on the fourth floor. He said to move it too.”

“I beg your pardon?” I stepped back with an eyebrow raised up. The man gave a huff and turned around. He then turned right just like the other woman and vanished around the corner

“Move it my butt,” I hissed looking back at the clipboard. Scanning the names of the patients, in which I had to visit, the name caught my eye. So the man wasn’t mental. The name “Vincent Mallard” were in bold black letters. The man also had the right floor number and room.

“So who was he? His creepy butler?” I questioned myself softly. I suddenly heard footsteps. I looked up and toward the right of me. A woman wearing a white smock and a white skirt like me, skirted down the hall carrying red and black blankets. Before I knew it the clipboard fell to the ground with the blankets in its place.

“Here,” the woman panted as she redid her hair into a bun.

“Take that to Mr. Vincent, immediately. He’s not very nice when he’s cranky.” She picked up the clipboard and placed it on top of the blankets. She then turned around and continued to skirt down the hall. Was this just a coincidence? Or is this Mr. Vincent really popular? And was not to be taken lightly? The thoughts swirled in my mind as I walked down the right side of the hallways silently. Every now and then I had to stop and help a patient cross the room or waited for him or her to move. And then I had to put the blankets down and look at the map of the hospital to see where I was and where I was going. I finally reached the elevator after going in a few circles. The elevators doors opened automatically for me as soon as I stepped in front of them. I chuckled and thanked God for the help. Small beads of sweat slid down my face, for these blankets were made out of wool and I wore a long sleeve shirt with a smock and a long skirt. Not to mention this elevator was warm. The elevator finally dinged and the doors swung open. I turned right and suddenly stopped. I stood there for a minute contemplating on what I just passed. Did I see that correctly? I backed up and turned my head to the left. Indeed I was.

“Wow, the name of this hospital truly lives its name.” I chuckled A cemetery. A dark gray and pale gothic scenery stared right back at me. Craned and crooked dead trees lingered over some of the headstones.

“Wow, this is a lovely place to drop your grandparents off so they can have a better life.” I mumbled. It was sad and horrible, especially because it was a mental hospital.


Chapter 2: Vincent


I walked down the rest of the hallway and stopped suddenly. I turned around and looked at the door that stood before me. A very bold red door stood before me. Now the rest of the patient doors were a very dull grey color.

“Now I wonder who this room must be.” I questioned sarcastically.

“Mr. Vincent’s room ma’m.” I turned around and looked down. A petite woman, who was not quite 5 foot, stood before me with a big smile upon her face.

“Hello, Mrs…?” I leaned down.

“Jansen, Mary Jansen,” she took my hand and shook it vigorously. Thankfully I knew how to balance the blankets with one hand.

“Wow,” I winced. “That’s quite a grip you have there.” I coughed a few times.

“Oh I use to be a baseball player when I was younger and in my teens. I use to play for the Atlanta Braves ya know!” she exclaimed.

“Um, I thought profession sports only let men play and its baseball, not softball.” I corrected as lightly as I could be. The woman just looked at me for a minute or two with a frown on her face.

“Mrs. Jansen?” I questioned softly. The woman suddenly shook her head and then looked at me again. I gave her a slight smile.

“Oh yeah behind you lives Mr. Vincent. Right now he’s cranky because he doesn’t have his blankets. Oh and by the way my name is Mary Jansen.” She took my hand once again and gave me a hearty shake. Then she turned around and headed back down humming and sliding from side to side. I blinked a few times and then thought for a minute.

“Short-term memory loss?” I mumbled questionably. “Mhh, anyway,” I turned back around and knocked on the door.

“Who is bothering me at this time of the day? This is my relaxing time of the day!!!” I hissed with distaste through my teeth. The door open to reveal the bald guy that ordered for me to get the blankets.

“It’s about time,” he grumbled.He started to reach for the blankets when I suddenly snatched it away from his grasp.

“What’s the magic word?” I questioned.

“Now,” he hissed.

“Really? I’m sure Mrs. Jansen would love these blankets. Im pretty sure she would love to make a tent out of these or make a cape.” I shook my head with a smile.

“Jojo what are you doing? What is taking so long? Close the door! Close the God forsak-”Another man suddenly stepped in front of the guy named Jojo. The guy suddenly looked at me and halted his words. He wore tight blue jeans and a white button shirt. I even halted my words and stared at him. How could he be a mental patient?!

“Hi,” suddenly left his lips. He gave me a small smile with beautiful teeth.

“Hi,” I shook my head and came back from life.

“You’re Mr. Vincent Malard?” I questioned with a small smile and some red blushing cheeks.

“Yes, Vincent Malard, excuse my man here, he has no manners. He came from a very unhappy family. And you must be…?” I stepped forward.

“A new nurse, a ward mainly, my name is Constants, Constants Daynight.”

“Well Mrs. Daynight,” Vincent held his hand out to me. I took it and felt his cool soft hand.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.” He bent his face down and kissed my hand with a delicate touch. I smiled happily and full of life. But all I could think of is how Vincent could be a mental patient. He seemed well and all, but there must have been something deeper, something that I haven’t seen before.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“How did Vincent Malard come to this hospital?” I questioned to Marcy. Marcy Bent was the head nurse of all then nurses, mainly the boss. She was kind and very thoughtful and full of manners.

“Well it was a sad tragic story miss, very sad and terrible. A few years back Mr. Vincent was married to this beautiful woman. Her name was Connie, Connie Malard. She was young and flawless, in Mr. Vincent’s eyes of course. One night Mr. Vincent wakes up in sweat from a nightmare. He turns to Connie seeking for affection, but to his surprise she wasn’t there. He got out of bed and started searching for her. He went downstairs and found her. The sight of her affected him for life.” She fumbled with some papers in her hand into a folder.

“What happened to her?” I questioned with a whisper.

“He found her hanging from the ceiling of the kitchen with a butcher knife sticking out of her stomach. Written on the floor with a marker were the words

‘Rid of the evil that grows in my belly.’”

“She was with child?” I gasped.

“Apparently she was. And went crazed knowing a child grew inside her.” Marcy took a sip of water from her white Styrofoam cup.

“Why did she go crazy? I don’t get it, how come no one knew of the craziness before and tried to get her help? Did Vincent knew she was pregnant?”

“Wow, someone’s nosy,” she chuckled as she pulled herself up to the counter.

“Sorry,” I winced as I walked up behind her and bent down. “But how? It doesn’t make sense.”

“Mr. Vincent didn’t know of the pregnancy, no one knew. So no one could help her. We wondered if it was true or not, especially Vincent. Our first clue was the message that she left behind. And then once the autopsy came back, it was true. It scared Mr. Vincent, he even tried to commit suicide just a few weeks after Connie’s death. It was sad, 5 years of marriage gone down the tube. She killed herself on their anniversary ya know.” A shut my hung open mouth before the fly in the office could land in it.

“Oh my gosh, poor Mr. Vincent. But he seems so normal now.” I commented.

“Oh he has his days. But his tempers are getting fewer and fewer. He has his very worse and dirty days on the day of their anniversary.”

“Dirty?” I questioned.

“Cussing, all you hear in this whole entire asylum is bleep this and bleep that and that bleep bleep. It’s horrible; I think all the nurses would have to go to church right after work after hearing all of those nasty words.” Marcy chuckled deeply. While Marcy chuckled, I stared out into thin space and could image the horrifying picture that Vincent had to bear that dark night.

“Poor Mr. Vincent,” I whispered with a cry of agony.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 3: His Words


The rest of the day went right on by slowly. In the course of my new day I made some new friends of the nurses and became real friendly with some of the patients. One on my favorites was Mrs. Mary Jansen. She may have been old, but she had a wild fiery heart inside of her. Every time she tried telling one of her adventurous stories, she would always forget what she said and start back over again. The other patients seem to love Mary as well. They loved to hear her ramble on, they didn’t seem to care that she forget and went back to the beginning. Every time she did go back to the beginning she always put in a little something extra. My other favorite patient was Vincent. Vincent, to me, didn’t seem to be a mental. He looked so kind and gentle. The others enjoyed Vincent’s company. I was glad he was around; it gave me some time to watch his actions and understand him more. When my shift ended, I sat down in the ‘lounge’ room of the hospital and took a deep breath. I was done with work. My feet ached from walking around in circles throughout the hospital. It was nice to take a load off. Suddenly a figure emerged from the side of me. I yelped as my chair teeter-tottered for a moment on one leg and then fell to the floor with me in it.

“I think I might have broken something,” I whimpered as I lifted myself up.

“Oh my goodness, are you hurt?” a gentle voice flowed into my ears. I looked up as I rubbed my right ankle.

“Vincent,” I smiled with relief. “What are you doing out of bed?” I questioned.

“I usually go on nightly rounds. I have more privileges than other patients because my father used to own this piece of land. Before he died he gave it to me. I had no use for it so I gave it to the town in which they built this hospital.” He plopped his hands to his sides with a sigh. He looked about the room while his smile formed into a frown. Then his eyes suddenly looked down upon me. The smile suddenly came back. He bent down and held his hand out to me.

“I’m sorry to have frightened you my dear, allow me to assist you.” I took his hand lightly. He scooped me into his arms and carried me out of the room.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“What in heaven’s name?” Marcy clapped her hands to her cheeks.

“What did you do Ms. Clumsy?” she chuckled as she quick grabbed a wheelchair for me.

“No no that’s alright Marcy, I have her.” Vincent said defiantly. She raised an eyebrow up at him.

“Please,” he added quickly. She shook her head up and down and followed after him.

“How did this happen?” she questioned me. Vincent quickly took my side and started explaining the situation. All the while he explained we ended up in his room. He laid me upon his bed. It was already warm and it felt soft and comfortable. After telling the situation he started to talk to Marcy about his day. The both of them chatted and bandaged up my ankle. I could not see how he could have gone mental for awhile. He was so bright and smart. He seemed flawless, but no one was in this world. But then again he could be quite a little actor, or maybe he was controlling it.

“Wow, you’ve had a busy day haven’t ya boy?” she chuckled.

“Well,” she chuckled as she placed her hand upon the handle of the door.

“I think maybe you need to stay here tonight Constants, you should let some of the swelling go down.” Marcy ordered.

“She can have my bed for tonight, I’ll sleep in a vacant room.” He smiled at her with reassurance.

“Alright now, the both of ya get some sleep!” She opened the door and left closing it behind her. Silence fell between us.

“How is your ankle?” he suddenly asked softly.

“Oh, um, it’s ok. I think Marcy is right, some of the swelling has gone down.” I smiled at him. He smiled back and shook his head up and down. I couldn’t help but ask. I couldn’t help being curious and talkative.

“I heard about your wife,” I whispered very lightly to him. His smiled faded very quickly and sadness rose upon his grave face.

“She was my world,” he sighed.

“Somehow madness took over her. I wanted to help her but she wouldn’t let me in. I could tell she was changing. Just little things gave me clues. But you know, I have to move on. This hospital is making me.

"So,” He looked up at me and gave me a small smile.

“I just can’t help but wonder how you got into this hospital in the first place. You just seem very gentle and tender. It looks like you can never get mad at all.” I put in.

“Trust me I can get mad when I want to you. But I hope you’ll never have to see that.” He said calmly.

Chapter 4: Obsession


Warm, warm and gentle. I fluttered my eyes open to find the sun’s rays rising and spreading upon my face. I still was where I was last night, in Victors bed.

“You’re awake and your leg is better, I can see,” a voice came. Hoping to be him, but it was Marcy.

“So how did you sleep?” she propped up a tray in front of me and laid some breakfast upon the little table.

“Victor made that for you, he assumes you like scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese on top of it,” Marcy chuckled doubtfully.

“Actually,” I spoke astonishment. “I do. With fresh pulp free orange juice, two pieces of buttered toast and-”

“The morning paper?” Marcy finished off by handed the paper to me.

“Lucky guess,” I mumbled softly.

“Or a coincidence. Or similarity.” She replied gravely. I looked at her with almost a half of a bit into my mouth.

“Similarity?” I questioned. Marcy took the paper from my hand and flung it to the side. She took a light breath and looked at me straight into the eyes.

“His wife liked the same exact thing. It’s just suspicious. Did you tell him any of your business and what you do in your personal time?”

“No,” I shook my head side to side.

“Well, be advised girl, don’t.”

“Marcy,” Both of our eyes gazed up at the door.

“Why are you disturbing my guest?” Victor asked sternly.Marcy dipped her head in shame and got up. Victor got up and opened the door a little wider for her. He shut it darkly as soon as she stepped out. I bit my lip and shivered.

“Are you cold Constants?” he asked softly eyeing me with careful observation.

“I’m fine Victor, I really am.” I smiled lightly.

“I just asked once.” He whispered sitting down beside me. I looked away from him and stared at light outside. I contemplated on whether or not looking back at Victor or not, but how could I refuse. He was so cute and dashing. Very polite and mannerly. What was I thinking? I couldn’t have a relationship with a patient!!

“I can come and go as I please,” he suddenly interrupted my thoughts.

“Come and go?” I didn’t quite understand.

“Come and go, in and out of this hospital now. I was just going through a phase, a little difficult phase in my life. I’m sure you understand what happened to my wife?” I shook my head lightly up and down with dark listening eyes.

“You look kind of like her,” he whispered. I looked down and blushed slightly. That was kind of him to say.

“I’m, um, going to move out soon. And settle down in a new place, in a new house. I’ll be close to the hospital though, doctors orders. So if I ever go through that ‘phase’ again, which won’t happen, I can be close to the hospital for immediate treatment.” He glanced at me right quick.

“Oh! One thing,” he added quickly as he stood up. He opened up the door and disappeared right quick and then reappeared with a bouquet of flowers in his hands.

“Victor, you didn’t have to,” I giggled like a 5 year old.

“Well, they’re fresh cut, from the woods.” There was already a vase on the table beside me.

“I don’t know how you managed to cut such beautiful flowers in a place like this,” I commented.

“It seems so dreary out, especially with that graveyard back there. This is a wonderful place to put a mental hospital.” I chuckled. The smile faded from Victors face as he fixed up the flowers.

“Have I offended you?” I questioned softly with remorse.

“I’m sorry, if I have.”

“No no it’s the true. I did go through a mental state. It was horrible. I’m pretty sure I’ve made a fool of myself to this whole entire town. And even frightened people away from here.” He sat down beside me once more.

“That’s why I’m so pleasant to people throughout the day and even at night. I’m pretty sure I’ve done and said some nasty things and I wish I could take it all back. If I had my wish, that would be it. I want to start over, start out fresh and new.”

I watched as his eyes sparkled like a live excited child. He really meant it. You could see it in his eyes. I was just totally into his emotions and actions, in which I didn’t hear what he was trying to ask me.

“Constants?” He shook me slightly to raise me back to life.

“Hm? I’m sorry I was just out of there for a minute,” I apologized.

“How would you like to have dinner with me tonight?” I hesitated for only a moment or two and to my surprise, I shook my head up and down slightly with a slight smile on my face.

“Great!” He jumped up and headed for the door.

“I have to make some preparations’. I cannot wait! I’ll see you later Mary.” I stopped breathing. He stopped entirely. He didn’t turned back to face me, but I saw him drop his head.

“I’ll, um, see ya later Constants,” he corrected himself softly.

He then shut the door behind him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throughout the day I saw Victor everywhere. So excited and so rambunctious. It was actually quite scary really. Everywhere I went he was just a few steps behind me.

“Are you ready for tonight?”

" What do you like to eat?”

"Remember, tonight.”

"Almost four more hours until you’re off shift!” It was starting to get aggravating. The news spread throughout the whole entire hospital. The staff members muttered under their breath to each other as I would pass them.

“Did you hear what the new girl is doing tonight? She’s going to have dinner with psycho Victor!” I gritted my teeth every time I hear them say that. I was on the verge on smacking one of them if they kept their mess up.

“Are you ready for tonight?!” Victor snapped his head around the corner that I was turning. I jumped back and almost fell, but Victor caught me swiftly.

“So?” he questioned happily.

“Victor, for the last time, yes I’m ready for tonight, excited I am not.” I sighed heavily. He looked at me sadly.

“Why?” he questioned.

“You’ve asked me all day. And everywhere I go I see you. Just hold back a little. Give me some space. I’m happy that I’m having dinner with you, really I am but just give me some space and quit asking me, please.” I added a small smile at the end.

“I just...” he started softly.

“I just wanted to make sure you weren’t going to cancel anytime. I, I don’t want you to leave, ever.” He whispered. Now the ‘ever’ word caught me off guard. Was he really being serious or was it just a plain word stuck in there to make me feel bad?

“Victor, I’m not one of those girls who makes plans, get your hopes up, and then cancels just minutes before the plan starts,” I touched his shoulder.

“Really, I’m ready for tonight, I really am. But please, Victor, give me some space or you’re going to make me go crazy,” I chuckled. Without a giving me a smile, he stood up straight and walked away. The he suddenly turned around and looked right at me and said,

“But really Constants, I don’t want you ever, ever, to leave this place. Your place belongs here.” Leaving it at that he walked away. I stood there, quite frozen, and a little bit frightened.

Chapter 5: Dinner with a side of Terror


I shut my door and leaned against it. It was time to get ready, for what? Don’t even say it. I walked upstairs to my room and started to undress.

“Why do I feel like something weird or bad is going to happen?” I whispered to myself. My dog, Sadi, brushed against my bare legs and whined up at me.

“Go away boy,” I fluffed my hair side to side.

“This is just not going to work,” I sighed.

“Maybe I should just brush it and just keep it down. I think I might do that.” I took my white delicate hairbrush and glided it down my hair. I looked at myself in the vanity mirror. My I looked pretty! I stood up and walked over to my closet. What was I to wear? I only had black and red luminous colored dresses.

“Red would may make him think ‘oh yes I’m open and single; take me’ Black would may make him think ‘I have lots of closure, death? Oh wait…”

The color black in this world always led to the word ‘death’. It made me think it would refer back to his wife.

“Red it is then.” I sighed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This dress is too small... I thought to myself. The dress stopped midway to knees. It was spaghetti strap boat neck dress. I ranged the doorbell and waited a minute or two. I looked at the address of the paper that I held in my hands. I copied down Vincent’s address from his file before I left work. I think I got this right. I scrunched down my dress right quick before the door opened. There stood Vincent in a nice little black button down shirt with black dress pants.

I knew I should’ve worn black. I gave him a smile.

“Hey,” I chuckled slightly.

“Constants?” He chuckled back.

“Wow, you looked gorgeous.” He beckoned me to come inside. I turned a madly red and stepped into the house. I looked about and just sighed with content. The house was cute and quiet. In the living room there a fire burned with life. Vincent placed his hands upon my shoulders and slipped my coat off and showed me into the dining room where he had already set up dinner. The table was with the regular show of lit candles and flowers between us. We sat down immediately and began to talk about random things. After an hour of eating and talking in between. We both sighed with content and just looked in opposite directions of each other.

“So,” he suddenly broke the silence.

“How do you feel on moving in with me?” I coughed on my sip of wine.

“Excuse me?”

“Moving in with me. I think we would make a great couple.” He chuckled. I set the wine glass in front of me and looked down.

“Vincent, we just met each other. And besides I shouldn’t even be having dinner with you, let alone having a relationship with a patient from the hospital.” I saw him look down with a blank expression, but the expression soon turned into slight anger.

“Is it because I’m a patient, a mental patient? I’m a crazy person in which people talk about?”

“Well no-”

“Well it looks like it on your face! I’ve told them time and time again, I am not crazy.” All of sudden he gripped his glace with fury and shattered the glass. He shot up out of his chair.

“God! For God sakes!” He shook his hand. I could see tension vibrating throughout his whole entire body.

“There there Vincent, no need to get upset.” I cautioned as I placed my hand upon the dinner knife. He saw my action and understood immediately.

“What is it about me that you can’t stand to be with me?” he questioned darkly.

“Be with you?” I questioned back.

“You’re making no sense. I have no intention of being with you. When did you ever bring up that question to me?” I stood up from my place at the table.

“So I’m guessing you becoming my wife is out of the question?” he stepped toward me with his bloody hand. I stepped back and looked at him with so much confusion.

“Vincent, I think I should leave.” I headed toward the door. He suddenly ran over to the doorway and blocked my way.

“Don’t you see me bleeding Constants? I’m hurt, I need help. Please stay and care for me.” He started walking toward me.

”I can only care for you as a nurse. Not as your love or wife Mr. Malard.”

“How many times must I tell you Connie?!” He suddenly lunged at me. We flew back and hit against the wall. His hand suddenly gripped around my neck. I struggled for air as my legs kicked below me trying to find the floor.

“Con- Con- I’m not-“ I struggled. I suddenly kicked him with all of my might. He screamed in pain and dropped me to the floor. I coughed vigorously and scrambled to my feet.

“Where are you going Connie?” He screamed. I suddenly fell to the floor. He has grabbed a hold of my ankle and slung me to him. I kicked my heel into his face. He screamed with horror… I screamed with horror. For when I tried to retrieve my foot a chunk of skin hung from my heel. A deep hole I had made in his cheek. His hand shook as he touched his holey face.

“Connie, Connie, you’ve been bad Connie,” he taunted me in a sing song voice. I shivered as tears streamed down my face.

He lunged for me yet again but I squabbled to the side and gripped the table trying to get up. Once again he pulled me back to him by my ankle. I gripped the tablecloth. As I was being pulled forward, I didn’t let go of the sheet. The empty plates and dishes fell to the floor with a crash. The lit candles fell and rolled to the curtains of the window and caught afire. He crawled on top of me, drops of blood rolled down his face and onto mine. I cried with fright and tried to wipe away the liquid smearing it across my face.

He began slapping me and scratching me with his nails. I screamed with fury. I suddenly eyed the knife that I had laid my hand upon and reached for it. The tip of my fingers could just barely touch it. I pushed him away and reached even more. I suddenly grabbed a hold of it, I shot the knife into what ever I could into him. I scored nailing him into his arm. He cried out in pain as blood squirted everywhere. He hit me once again in the face and then gripped my throat with his unwound hand. I felt his nail dug deeply into my throat. He was cutting me… I felt blood strolling down my neck. The farther her pushed the more blood poured. He laughed hysterically and happily.

“How does it feel Connie? To be hurt? To be in pain?” I reached for the knife as he had lifted his head to laugh. I took ahold of the knife and began cutting him deeply down his arm. He screamed. I continued to rip it down his arm as he continued to release his grip around my neck. He rolled to the side, as I quickly got up. Almost the whole house was lit up in flames. I screamed with pain and fright, desperately trying to find an exit.

“Con- Con,” He reached out to me. I looked side to side. There seemed to be no where I could run to.

“Help me, help-“ I looked at him with sadness. Then with what tender heart I head left in my body I leaned down to help him up. But suddenly I screamed in pain. I reached behind me and felt the handle of the knife in my shoulder. I shoved him the side and grabbed the handle and pulled it out. I turned around and screamed.

“Vincent, it’s Constants! Snap out of it this instant!”

“I will make you suffer now, as you had me suffer. ” he chuckled softly. I watched him as he pulled out a small revolver.

“Vincent,” I began to step back. “Vincent please, it’s me!” I shrilled.

“Goodbye Connie, I love you.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 6: The Paper


“Marcy, whatever happened?” Marcy looked at the grave in silence. The woman chewed her pink gum and popped her bubbled.

“So, are you going to tell me what happened?” she questioned.

“Why do you want to know? You don’t care.” She stiffened.

“She was so young to be so tainted.”

“So, what’s the story? Please tell me.” She stopped smacking her gum for once.

“Well, somebody’s go t to get the story straight.” Marcy sighed and turned to face her.

“As you know and as you could see Vincent was Sweet on Ms. Constants. You remember that day she was suppose to go have dinner with him?” The girl nodded her head up and down in silence.

“Well she went in a cute little red skimpy dress. She decided not wear black because she thought that he might think of his wife,”

“How?”

“The color black to us in society means death or darkness mostly. So she wore a nice little red dress. She went and they had dinner together. And then…” She trailed off.

“What?” she girl leaned in toward Marcy.

“He went crazy… He started hitting her and throwing her around, like she was nothing. And then… he then started calling her… Connie.”

“Well, that makes no sense, why did he start calling her Connie?”

“Nobody knows, he just went insane.” The girl was quiet as she took her gun out of her mouth and threw it to the side.

“What happened after that?” she asked softly.

“They got into a huge fight and then he pulled out a revolver, a small revolver and that… was that.” The both of them looked at the headstone in silence. And if you looked closely at them you could see them shedding at least a tear.

“That’s so sad,” she whispered to her.

“Well at least we know that we don’t have to worry anymore. Less work.” Marcy commented softly.

“Yeah,” she replied. “Well I have to go, I have kids to feed. See you later.”

“See ya, take care.” She shook her head and then glanced at the paper that she held in her shaking hands. She couldn’t believe her eyes, but thank God he had answered her prayers.

“I don’t think she’ll ever come back. Maybe only to visit. But never will she ever step back into the hospital. But at least she is safe from harm, and she is far away from this dreadful place.” She read the paper over it again. It was an invitation. A sad invitation. She placed the paper inside her pocket, said a prayer, and waved at the headstone as she walked away.

“Goodbye Vincent, may God smile upon you.”
© Copyright 2012 Sage Blacke (sage_blacke at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1895541-Haunted-Story-for-Art