*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1895650-Love-of-a-Vampire
Rated: E · Draft · Gothic · #1895650
A hard journey lies ahead if Alexander and Darla want to be together.
We were best friends since we were five. We grew up together and played together. We were childhood sweethearts you could say really. But everything changed once we got out of high school. Not only did our lives change, but the world changed literally. Creatures of the night emerged from the darkness and decided to meet us humans in the light. Well… at least meet us. Strange, but beautiful creatures, that rose from dark musty places and dark cherry wood coffins. With eyes strutting about the place, pale skin showing off; stealing our gazes, and a smile that showed mainly ivory colored fangs, with which the point was dripping off red thick liquid.
         
Vampires.

Alexander and I were inseparable, until a little young beautiful strutting vampire girl introduced herself to him. I lost Alexander to her. I warned him time after time again that she was a good-for-nothing girl. I could still hear him saying in the back of my mind, “I’ll be fine Darla, nothing will happen. I won’t wake up and have holes in my neck.” Well they weren’t in his neck, only his chest. I lost Alexander for good; there was no going back for him. The transformation was complete. I had no idea what happened. I woke up one morning to find a letter upon my bed. Sighing gently, I sat up and opened up the drawer to my nightstand. I pulled out the ivory colored envelope and read over it again.
         Darla,
         There can be no more ‘us’, there will be no more us. It’s just impossible. I’m going through some rough times. Until things die down, there will be no more contact from me at all. Know that I love you and I care for you and your safety. And know that I will always be watching.
                                                           Yours forever in undying love,
                                                                     Alexander
To know that Alexander was watching me, I felt safe… I guess. But each day that lingered, it was just mainly unbearable. I loved him with all my heart; I just really couldn’t express it. It’s just is what it is. I kept thinking I was just too late. I kept putting it off and kept telling myself ‘do it tomorrow, tell him tomorrow.’ But I didn’t have enough courage. I placed the letter back into the drawer beside the fake black rose that he left behind for me. I stood up and walked over to my full body mirror and looked at myself. It had been almost seven years since the last time that I saw him. I could still remember what he looked like back then. He had charcoal hair with light pale eyes. He was a bit muscular, not much, and such a small smile. He had small dimples and the most amazing deep voice. I ruffled my dirty blonde hair as I opened up the balcony doors and walked out. The summer breeze blew slowly upon my face. I took out my hair-band and let my hair fall down which stopped at my waist. It was part curly partly straight. I too had light blue eyes and skinny. I was flexible and petite which to me was a good thing. Not too tall and not too short. I sniffed the air, something didn’t smell right. It wasn’t the ordinary smell that I could smell upon the wind. Something sour and musky was stinging the inside of my nostril, something horribly smelling. I coughed a few times and then I suddenly heard a rustle down below me. Stopping suddenly I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

“I think she heard us.”

“Shut up and she won’t hear us.”

“If you keep talking she will!”

“Shut up!”

“Who’s there?!” I shouted down as I leaned over the balcony. Silence for only a moment and then the second voice that replied to the first voice called out to me.

“Are you Darla? Darla LaCain?” I eyed some light green bushes.

“Who wants to know?” I questioned.

“Friends…” I waited for him to finish, but apparently he wasn’t going to.

“Friends of whom?”

“Friends of your friend Alexander.” The first voice called out.

“Alexander?” I whispered. “Alexander Cutnight?” I replied.

“Say yes,” I heard the first voice say softly to the second voice.

“YES…! I know that you idiot, we work for him.” As they begin to argue I quickly headed back into my bedroom, grabbed a black corset zipped it up, slipped on some tight jeans, and zipped up my knee high hunting boots. Starting from my bedroom door I ran toward the balcony and quickly jumped over it and landed on the ground with a soft thump in front of the bushes.

“Whoa… how did she do that?” The first voice whispered.

“So you know Alexander?” I responded placing my hands on my hips.

“Yes ma’m we do.” It was the second voice that spoke. “He wants us to escort you to where he’s at. He wishes to see you.” I thought for just a minute and then snarled at them.

“Alexander wants to see me? Now?! After seven years!? That makes no sense!!” I started for the bushes.

“Don’t come any closer!” the first voice hissed. I came to a complete halt and just looked at it.

“Then how are you going to escort me to Alexander?” I questioned slyly.

“That means you’re comin’?” A guy’s head suddenly popped out of the bushes, a face filled with excitement. He had reddish hair with freckles on only his dimples. He looked pretty skinny, but he had a fierce smile with which went with those bright brown eyes. Another head popped up on the other side. He was a bit chubbier in the face with curly black hair and slanted down eyebrows. He had deep green eyes.

“You idiot!” the chubbier looking one bonked him on the head. They both looked very young, perhaps maybe teenagers.

“You blew our cover! Now we’re dead!”

“It’s not my fault, she asked a question and I simply… replied.” He smiled at him. I smiled lightly back.

“Well you blew our cover that’s all I’m upset about!”

“Me? Who cares about our cover we shouldn’t even be talking to her! This isn’t how it’s supposed to be!”

“You came up with the idea!” The chubbier one pointed his finger at him

“Me?! You agreed with it!” I sighed gently as I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest.

“Guys…” I spoke yet they continued to bicker.

“Guys…” I said a little louder but still no response from them.

“GUYS!” I screamed. My voice bellowed making some birds in the trees retreat to the air for safety. They suddenly ceased and looked at me.

“Alexander…?” I started again.

“Oh yes!” The nimble one with freckles clapped his hands together.

“Alexander wishes to see you! Come with us!” he suddenly jumped out of the bushes, grabbed my hand, and dragged me into the woods. We arrived at the main road. There in front of me was a sleek black car in which I got into. I wasn’t worried about myself; I knew how to protect myself. The only thing u was worried about was seeing Alexander. I sat in the backseat as the boys sat up front. Freckle boy sat in the driver’s side while curly head sat in the passengers. Freckle boy suddenly spoke,

“I’m Jackals and my best friend here beside me is Tugboat.” My left eye suddenly twitched just a bit. I tried to hold back a chuckle which luckily came out sounding like a cough.

“How far are we going?” I questioned once I got to my senses.

“Not far, just up the road really, maybe about 12 miles from your house.” Tugboat replied.

“Alexander just lives right up the road from me?” I questioned softly.

“Yep! And you didn’t even know it!” Jackals chuckled. I looked out the window and just tried to imagine his face. Was there going to be happiness, sadness or maybe both? I didn’t know, I knew I missed him, but I wondered… did he miss me?

***


We drove up upon a rocky driveway and parked in front. I just stared at the huge mansion that was just before me. But what fascinated me were the six columns that were right in front.

“They’re marble just to let you know.” Jackal chuckled. Beautiful vines with white flowers grew around the while marble columns; they grew everywhere. Such gorgeous flowers and from the car they smelled heavenly. It was Jasmine; my favorite fragrance to use when I went out. Tugboat got out and opened the door for me.

“Follow Jackal and he’ll take you to Alexander.” I smiled lightly and headed after Jackal. I went inside and I almost dropped my mouth.

“It’s been awhile since you’ve seen a vampire hasn’t it?” Jackal asked softly as he closed the door behind me. I looked about the open huge rooms. There were vampires everywhere; they were all beautiful and pale. Male and female all alike walked around gracefully.

“Alexander is upstairs.” Jackal beckoned me to follow him. I followed him up the huge grand stairs. I thought about what should I say or even do. Did I look ok? What did he look like? Was I doing thr right thing? What was I going to say? What was he going to say? We stopped at a huge cherry oak door. Jackal knocked lightly and called out Alexander’s name.

“Come in Jackal.” My stomach was suddenly filled with butterflies as I heard his familiar voice. Jackal opened up the door and walked in.

“Alexander I have a surprise for you.” Surprise? I thought for second. I thought he said Alexander was expecting me.

“Jackal not another pet, those furry creatures get everywhere, they ruin the-” Jackal moved aside and revealed me. I held my breath as I walked in, looking at his beauty. He had not changed at all. He still had that beautiful charcoal hair, pale blue eyes, those slight muscles, and that small smile for a second. But the smile was not there anymore. He had a frown on for a minute which suddenly turned to anger.

“What in the hell is she doing here?!?” He hissed darkly. His fangs suddenly popped out and were showing fiercely at Jackal.

“I know we weren’t supposed to bring her here or come in contact with her, but-!” Jackal cowered in a corner.

“WHAT?!” I hissed at him. “You lied to me! You said he was expecting me!”

“No I was not expecting you!” he yelled angrily at me. “I’m not even supposed to see her!” he hissed at Jackal. Jackal whimpered,

“You seemed upset without her. The house knows you’re unhappy, Alexander. Shouldn’t you be happy now that she’s here, you can at least hug her and say hi.” He smiled a very small smile. I thought silently, so he has missed me. I guess it would be a good thing that I’m here now.

“Alexander he has a point. Even though you weren’t expecting me, I mean, I’m real happy to see you. It’s been awhile.” I smiled.

“Well I’m not happy to see you.” He growled.  I was taken aback. He swept gracefully back behind his dark cherry wood desk and began fiddling with some papers.

“Jackal, you are hereby stripped of your privileges from here on out!” Alexander snapped. I had absolutely no idea what was up with Alexander and why he was behaving like this. Jackal had seemed to notice my feelings.

“Oh Darla, please do not cry, then you’ll make me cry. This isn’t your fault, it’s mine.” Jackal came over to me and patted my shoulder

“Seven years,” I whispered as tears streamed down my face.

“It’s been seven years and I haven’t heard from you.” Alexander suddenly halted and froze. He stared down at his pile of papers, but I knew he was listening.

“You left me without saying goodbye! You left a note, which in your case was lame. Why did you leave?!” I yelled suddenly. Alexander looked up at me but he didn’t respond or do anything.

“Will you not speak?” I cried. He just looked at me with those beautiful pale eyes.

“Fine if you won’t speak, then I will leave.” I turned around as when the door suddenly opened.

“Alexander darling, when will you-” I stopped in my tracks and held my breath. This wasn’t the same girl that had stolen him away from me. It was a different one; she had bleached blonde hair with brown eyes. She wore a red skimpy piece of lingerie and looked like she was round about in her twenties like me. I was guessing she was Alexander’s girlfriend, but at this point, I didn’t know what to think anymore.

“Oh, I just came to see when you were going to come to bed sweetheart.” She just looked at me and sneered. I scoffed as I turned around to face him.

“Did I mean so little to you? It seems so… ‘yours forever in undying love,’” I hissed. Alexander inhaled sharply, he knew what I was talking about. Then I turned to face Jackal.

“I have no chance; I’m just an ignorant human. Do not come to my house ever again or I will set my dogs on you. You can also tell tubby that.” I faced Alexander once more

“I want to apologize for disrupting you Mr.Cutnight. I hope I didn’t interrupt anything.” I turned around and looked at the girl once more before heading out.

“How are you going to get home?!” Jackal yelled after me.

“I’ll walk!”

***


I stormed out the door and walked down the driveway. I scaled the iron gates and started down the main road. Never did I think that Alexander lived so close to me. I thought maybe he had left for the other side of the country or something like that. We lived in a quiet town, not very big or anything. A good size of town though. Our houses were in the middle of forests, we were very secluded and private. Not many people drove on these roads, it wasn’t very busy. I was idiot to be walking near the woods. But what was I to worry? There was rarely any crime committed around her. I suddenly saw headlights coming from behind me. Great.

“Darla, get into the car!” I stopped and looked to the side. ALEXANDER! I wanted to cry out, but I didn’t.

“No, I’m walking.” I huffed as I continued to walk.

“If you don’t get in this car I will make you get in.” I stopped and leaned down into his window closely to his face.

“Try me.” I hissed lowly before backing away and continued to walk. He lightly put his foot on the gas pedal and continued to drive beside me.

“Do you know what’s in those woods?” he called to me.

“There are animals that you’ve never seen before.”

“Alexander, bears and crocodiles aren’t unheard of.” I chortled.

“I’m not talking about bears and crocodiles Darla. I don’t think they’re even animals. I think they’re people.” I stopped in my tracks and just stared forward for a minute.

“Are you talking about vampires? Because I’ve seen them, they’re everywhere Alexander. And where I’m living I thought I had gotten away from them as much as possible, but apparently not.”

“No something different, I remember seeing one of them like last week or something. They kill animals ruthlessly. They’re like savages. They creep in the bushes watching and waiting for their prey.” Why in the hell is he saying all this? He’s only saying this to me to get me into the car. He makes up the stupidest stories that I’ve ever heard of. I sighed and crossed in front of the black sleek car and slipped into the passenger’s side.

“Shut up, you already sound stupid. Don’t embarrass yourself any further.”  I replied putting the seat belt on. He ceased because he knew I was right. He started driving very fast for the trees started to blur together. I looked at speedometer; 100.

“Look I know vampires like to drive fast and all, but please drive the speed limit which is 70.” I sighed. The trees suddenly became clear and the motion of them going by slowed down. I’ll admit I was really happy to be in Alexander’s presence, but apparently he didn’t feel the same with me.

“You look nice.” He spoke softly. I leaned my arm on the windowsill with my head in my hand.

“Thank you. You don’t look too bad yourself.” I replied. He wore a nice black button down shirt with a nice black vest that had a red embroidered pattern all over it. He had a nice pair of black dress pants and black shoes. So much black, it seemed like he was in mourning. The vision of the trees suddenly slowed down even more. I cut my eyes toward the speedometer. He was going 50 or 55 now. I decided not to say anything. I was guessing he wanted to be with me as long as he could.

“You’ve grown…” he chuckled.

“Well Alexander that’s what happens when years go by.” I looked at him.

“…into a beautiful woman.” He finished as he glanced at me. I suddenly turned pink and looked away from him.

“I didn’t know you lived close by,” he murmured. I looked back at him darkly.

“You’re lying,” I said.

He looked at me in disbelief, “I am not!” he barked.

“I know you Alexander as if you were my own brother, I know you’re lying. You knew I lived close to you. I know you can smell me.” He winced as he looked at the road. “How could you really tell?” he questioned.

“You told me in the letter that you would always be watching me. I kind of figured maybe you would follow me, wherever I went.” I replied with a sigh. The car suddenly became silent, not even the sound of the car’s engine could be heard.

“So,” he started again. “How is life going?”

“Fine as usual.” I said.

“Is anyone in your life?”

I looked at him carefully, “Like as in a boyfriend or a husband?”

“Whichever.” He smiled.

“No one.” I stated. He took a quick glance at me and then back at the road.

“When you left me, most of my life drained from me, my happiness was drained. And when you left me saying that you weren’t going to come back, I decided to move on. I’ve become an independent woman and I’m thrilled about it.” Though ‘thrilling’ isn’t the exact word, I thought but it was too late to take it back.

“Doesn’t it get lonely?” he asked.

“Yes very, but I survive. At least I have peace and quiet. As long as I have peace and quiet, nothing really can go wrong.” He shook his head up and down, but it looked like he was contemplating or something.

“Alexander?”

“Hm?” he still had his eyes on the road.

“What are you thinking about? What’s going on in your head?” Nothing came out of him straight away, but after a minute or two he spoke softly.

“I just keep thinking about what you meant when you said to Jackal you have no chance. And also when you said you meant nothing to me. You mean the world to me Darla, truly you do. I do care for you with all my heart. You must know that, do you not?” he looked at me.
I dipped my chin and felt like a child. In these times when he spoke with pride, but was very gentle and loving, I felt like a little five year old. I didn’t know why, but I just did. Guilt, I assumed.

“You do know that don’t you?” he repeated. I shook my head up and down in response. I continued to look down at the black floor. Something soft and cold suddenly touched my face. I looked up and looked about. We were in my driveway; the car was off and parked in front of my house.

“So you do know where I live…” I looked deeply into his eyes.

"I watch and look about.” He smiled.

“And you have been watching me? You knew where I was for the past seven years?!” I started to get upset.

“Let me explain Darla, please.” His eyes were begging deeply into my eyes. I just looked at him quietly.

“We’re here.” He opened up his door. I unbuckled my seat belt as he got out and placed my hand on the handle of my door. But before I could open it the door suddenly opened on its own with Alexander’s hand out to me.

“Come on hon.” I took his hand in amazement.

“What?” he smiled lovingly at me as I got out.

“You literally just got out of the car, and you got to my side in less than second; a special power that vampires have?” I chuckled.

“It comes in handy, when I try to be polite to the ladies.” He shut the door. I gave a small smile as the both of us headed up to my house. Once we reached my porch, I figured this would be it, but to my surprise Alexander turned to face me and touched my cheek gently.

“I have so much to tell you Darla. And I know you have questions that have lingered in your mind for years and I can give you answers. You may not like them all, but its all truth. I realized in the car that I cannot bear to hide from you no longer. I cannot bear the pain in which I cannot talk to you. Please let me explain to you why I left so abruptly, please.” I couldn’t reply, I was so happy and thrilled to hear him say this. He sounded like his old self. I shook my head up and down and welcomed him inside the house.

To be continued...
© Copyright 2012 Sage Blacke (sage_blacke at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1895650-Love-of-a-Vampire