*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1896411-Moving-On
Rated: · Other · Action/Adventure · #1896411
Waking up before dawn and moving on up the Trail.
The early morning air was cool and crisp. The lingering night still had its hold on the coming day as twilight was still sometime away. A mist shadowed the dark world around me as I slowly crawled out of my synthetic sleeping bag. Off in the the distance, a lonely call of a Great Horned Owl broke the calm silence of the darkness. It was a  quiet morning in deed. With twilight still forthcoming I put on a cup of water on the still heated fire from the night before. Some hot English breakfast tea always went down well on mornings such as this. As I waited for the water to boil, I gazed at the world around me. The darkness of the forests surrounding me, almost as if the dark itself was alive. Only the faint shapes of shadows could I make out the trees. Down below the camp I could hear the gurgling of the brook as it cascaded through the gorge it carved out many years ago.

Finally my tea begins to boil. I pour a cup and calmly sit, taking in the darkness around me. As I sat there contemplating on the upcoming day, I make my decision to make my way to Black Rock Mountain, still some 15 miles away. That settled, I pull out my journal to update my previous days entry, then sit back and relax a bit longer. I slowly pull out my Native American Flute and begin playing my lonely morning lullaby, "Cherokee Morning Song".

After sometime, I stop and listen to the night songs around me. The birds have begun to wake up from their night time slumber, filling the forest with a song of their own. I look up at the small patch of sky through  the trees and notice a deep purple haze. Twilight has arrived. My cue that it is now time to pack up. A little while longer do I sit. Enchanted by the sounds and wonder around me. Mornings such as this should never be hurried, but revered. Taken in as it is a spiritual moment as much as a physical one.

Alas, I gather up my things and pack  up. Douse what is left from last nights fire. Stroll down to the little brook to fill my water bag. Once gain, I take in the scenes around me as I let the cool water run into the bag. The purple haze in the sky has turned into a brilliant orange color with a hint of midnight blue. A sign this is going to be a beautiful day.

Slowly I make my way to the Trail that is my path and turn north. Leaving behind this peaceful and enchanted place. I know many more mornings such as this lay in wait for me. So for now I must push on one step at at time as I make my way to that grand mountain at the end. I must get up, and move on.
© Copyright 2012 Erich Gray (jerich at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1896411-Moving-On