*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1896745-Prep-Challenge-Day-7-Beauty-is-Blind
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Haili
Rated: E · Other · Folklore · #1896745
culture and stuff...
The story takes place in two of the 12 provinces/kingdoms of Gaiane. Leander and Sanglier (SAN-glee-AY) are two southern coast kingdoms. Both kingdoms are ruled by King Haemon and Queen Olympia of Sanglier. Leander was taken over by the Sanglians hundreds of years ago and has been living in peace under Sanglier's rule ever since. Basic laws, nothing out of the ordinary. Kings are allowed to do pretty much whatever they want, but it's considered scandalous to be a mistress, even to a king. Pandora is looked down upon. There's also a fairly strong caste system, in which it's not culturally acceptable for a merchant daughter to marry a shepherd son. Last names are based on occupation (Shepherd, Miller, Mercer, Carver)

Religion: Haven't really put much thought into this, but it's monotheistic for sure. Magic exists, though most people are unaware of its existence, and those that practice it don't make it known. There's probably a law against it. The religion is Christian, early christian most likely. I'm considering having Briony make Calista “prayer beads” which are kind of an early rosary. But it's not a rosary; just a string of knots to help Calista remember all her prayers. I'm going to use Bible verses at the beginning of the chapters.

For example:
Psalm 146:8 - The Lord gives sight to the blind.
2 Corinthians 4:18 - So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 5:7 - We live by faith, not by sight.
1 Peter 3:3-4 - Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
1 John 2:9-11 - Whoever says he is in the light, yet hates his brother, is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother remains in the light, and there is nothing that can cause him a fall. Whoever hates his brother is in darkness; he walks in darkness and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
© Copyright 2012 Haili (haili73 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1896745-Prep-Challenge-Day-7-Beauty-is-Blind