*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897050-Hidden-Deep
Rated: ASR · Other · Fantasy · #1897050
A tale of two diminutive adventurers and what they found hidden in the depths.
Hidden Deep

"What am I doing here?" Pippa wondered. "Oh, yeah." A smile crept across the halfling's face. "The treasure." She was half the height of a human woman, and wearing cloth armor. Her features were child-like, but she appeared to be full-grown. Pippa proceeded carefully down the dimly-lit tunnel.
"Hurry up" Grudo urged. He, too, was a halfling and also a rogue. "We'll never get to the Eye of the Earth at this rate."
"I'm going as fast as I can. Are you sure about the treasure?"
"When was the last time I was unsure about anything?"
Pippa gave him a mean look.
"Relax. I can't reveal my source, but I trust him... about as much as I trust anybody."
"Grudo, we came all the way down into the depths of the dwarven kingdoms. If we did all of this for nothing, I will be very angry."
"Cough up that hairball and you'll feel better. The Eye of the Earth is down here. I just know it."
Pippa wondered if there was anything of worth, this deep in the ground. "Even the dwarves don't live down here, Grudo."
"Well, that's a relief. Those guys have no manners. Just because I was cutting the string on his money pouch..."
Pippa began to giggle.
"Hey, that's not funny. He almost hit me with his axe."
"Maybe it would have improved your looks, dog-boy."
Grudo balled up a fist at her, but said nothing.
The female smirked. They would not fight until they had the treasure.

Down further into the depths they went. Grudo's map had led them here, deep in the heart of the earth. The light in the tunnel was beginning to fade. The male turned to the female. "It's evening up there, Pippa. Time to light the torches."
She dug in her pack, marveling at the dwarven workmanship that the tunnel represented. The ceiling was high above their heads, and there were shafts cut into its sides leading all the way to the surface. Though they were far beneath the mountain, there was plenty of ventilation, and there had been a moderate amount of light. However, the source of that light had to be vanishing from the horizon high above. "Here." She lit a torch and gave it to Grudo. Then, she lit one for herself.
"Thank you" he smiled. "Now, on to the treasure."
"Grudo, why would there be a diamond that big hidden down here?"
"Where else could you hide it?"
She crossed her arms and scowled at him. "Did your source even tell you what it was doing down here?"
"I don't know. But, he said it is a very well-known treasure. Perhaps, it was placed down here for safe keeping."
"Now, you told me that he had heard some dwarves speaking about it over drinks. They called it the Eye of the Earth. Do you think it is magical?"
"Silly girl. It is a jewel. It is very large. They probably call it the Eye of the Earth because it looks like an eye."
"Did he say it looks like an eye?"
"Well, sort of. He said it is round like an eye, and that it is cut so that the reflections of the light make it look like an eyeball."
"Something doesn't sound right, Grudo. I think he deceived you."
"He did not."
"Did too."
"Did not."
"Yes, he did. You followed after him like a sheep."
Grudo's face reddened. "Well, you came too. So, I guess that makes you a sheep."
"Nope. I'm the shepherd who keeps you from getting lost down here."
"Some shepherd you are, following my map."
"The map given to you. Not the one you made. For all we know, the guy who gave you that thing is probably buying a drink with the money you gave him... and laughing at us."
Grudo seethed. "Listen! We are down here, now. I got us past both dwarves and gnomes. And I think that we are close to the treasure. So, back off."
Pippa was startled. She thought to herself "He isn't usually so upset. Maybe I pushed him too much."
The male thief continued down the tunnel, no longer speaking.
Sighing, Pippa followed after him.

Soon, they came to the end of the tunnel, emerging into a vast cavern. Grudo stared at the map, and then at the open space all around them.
Pippa grew impatient. "Well?"
"Be quiet, I'm thinking."
"That's dangerous."
He ignored her and concentrated. "This way, I think."
"There you go doing it again. If you had been thinking earlier, you would have asked the source to serve as our guide."
"No way. He would have asked for a portion of the treasure. Besides... I know... exactly where we are."
Pippa shook her head, wondering if they would ever see the surface again.

The only light now, was the light of their torches. "Hey Pippa, there's an archway ahead. And it looks like there are letters carved above it. Grudo strained to read. "It says Codswinkle."
Pippa asked "What's a Codswinkle?"
"I don't know. But I think I see something shining up there."
The female perked up. "Treasure?"
"Maybe. Now, all we have to do is get up there." He searched for a way to climb the arch, but found none.
Pippa propped her torch against a rock. "Hey, dog-boy. Crouch down."
"What?"
"Just do it."
Confused, the halfling did as he was told.
The female thief swiftly perched herself on his shoulders. "Now, stand up straight and I'll try to reach the arch."
Grumbling, he struggled to maintain both their balances and hold the lit torch in his hand.
"Almost there. Hold steady, will you?"
Grudo shifted uncomfortably. "I can't help it. You're as heavy as an ox. Oww!"
She raised her hand to strike him again. "Do you want another?"
"Listen girl, I should drop you on your head for that."
"You'd do that, when I'm so close to the treasure? Now, pass me the torch."
He muttered something under his breath and gave it to her.
Pippa reached toward the arch. "Almost got it. Hey, where did it go?"
"You lost it?"
"It was just here."
Grudo was irate. "You lost the treasure. Now, I'm going to drop you on your head, for sure."
She shifted her weight and hopped down. "Too late."
He punched her in the arm.
"Oww! Hey!"
The male halfling smirked. "Do you want another?"
Pippa went for her dagger, but decided against it. "That couldn't have been the real treasure anyway, dog-boy. Now, where do we go?"
He picked up the other torch, and stared at the map. "It says we should go through."
"Hey," Pippa stared off into the darkness. "Did you see a light go out over there?"
"What are you talking about?"
She swore within that she had seen a light. "Nothing. Let's just keep going. This place is too dark."
"Ooh, are you scared?" He mocked Pippa, grasping for her
"Stop" she slapped his hand away. "Now, hurry up and lead us to the treasure." She felt a chill run through her.
Grudo stepped through the archway and into the wide tunnel that seemed so much like a corridor. Smaller tunnels branched out from it at intervals. He wondered where they each led. "Pippa, did you say something?"
"No."
"I thought I heard you whisper something."
"Why would I whisper when you are still talking?"
"I don't know. Maybe we should be a little quieter."
"Why? Are you scared?" She grasped at him mockingly.
"Grow up. I just think that we should be careful."
She rolled her eyes at him. "We are far away from any other person, so..."
Suddenly, they heard a voice like that of a gasping whisper "Get out."
The two froze in their tracks.
Pippa stared questioningly at Grudo.
He just shook his head slowly.
Cool breeze began to blow, and the torch lights began to dim.
Pippa became frantic. "Cover the lights. We can't let them go out."
"No good" he replied, exasperated. "The breeze is coming from all around."
The female thief quickly pulled out her flint and steel and began scraping them together.
Grudo grabbed her arm. "Let it go. I don't think we're alone."
She stopped scraping and just stared helplessly at the dwindling light.
Grudo's hand shook as he watched the torch go out. They were now in darkness.
Pippa strained to hear any sounds around them. But all was still and quiet. Softly, she asked "What do we do now?"
"I don't know" he hissed. "We'll never find our way out in this darkness."
Pippa grew terrified. They could not get out. They could barely even move. And they had heard a voice speaking in the darkness. "Okay, Mr. voice." She said out loud. "Don't worry. We're leaving."
Once again, Grudo hissed "What are you doing?"
"It knows where we are. So we don't need to be quiet."
"What makes you think that?"
"I... I don't know. Listen, maybe we should go."
"Are you crazy? We traveled a long way to get here. And no mysterious voice is..." Lights materialized in the air before his eyes.
Grudo and Pippa stared motionless at them, as they began to spin and whirl about. They changed colors and danced in midair.
The male halfling's eyes grew wide as the lights entered his nostrils and seemed to exit through his ears. He rubbed his face and ears in frustration. Then, a memory came to the surface of his mind. "Wait, Pippa. I've seen this spell before. I'll bet we're dealing with a wizard."
"A wizard? Down here?"
"Think about it. All alone down here. No one to bother you. Plenty of time to study spells."
"Well, what do you think he wants?"
"That's simple. He wants us to leave. So, let's leave."
Pippa stared at him, but he just smiled. Slowly, he felt his way around in the dark, until they had stepped through the arch. Then, he dragged the female around the corner and they waited.
The colored lights dimmed and went out, plunging the entire area into darkness once again.
Huddling in the dark, the two halflings said nothing. They even tried to breathe more quietly.
For a long while, there was silence. Then, somewhere beyond the archway, a light began to shine.
Grudo carefully peered around the corner. "Pippa?"
"Yeah?"
"I think he lives here. That light is probably in his living quarters."
"What should we do?"
"Come on. Let's go see what we're dealing with."
"But, Grudo..."
"It's just a wizard, Pippa." And with that, they crept silently towards the light.

The two thieves drew nearer and nearer to the light. Grudo struggled to maintain his courage.
Pippa just tried to stop trembling.
As they approached the light source, the two came to realize that what looked like a tunnel opening, was really an entranceway. The two snuck into the chamber.
The room was lavishly decorated and well-furnished. There were shelves all around, lined with all manner of strange objects. Some looked like small sculptures of strange creatures. Others seemed to be containers filled with various things.
Grudo stopped in his tracks. Across the room, seated before a table, was a figure. Grudo judged its full height to be barely a head taller than he was. The individual was slightly larger of frame. He knew what it had to be... a gnome. The male thief looked over at Pippa and then at the gnome.
She stared in disbelief. It seemed there was indeed someone living down here. His back was to her, and she hoped he would not turn around and see them. But deep inside, she cried out "A gnome! All of this trouble because of a gnome! Stupid Grudo. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid."
The male halfling did not know what she was thinking about. But he did not like the look in her eyes. He wondered what they should do. The treasure was around here somewhere. But the map did not show exactly where. He gestured for Pippa to search one side of the room, while he searched the other.
From the other side of the room, a voice spoke "You will not find what you diligently seek. Now, please inform me as to why you have entered my abode."
Pippa stared dumbfounded at Grudo.
The male thief wondered why the gnome did not turn to face them. "Are you the wizard who tried to scare us earlier?"
The gnome answered "It is the heart that gives birth to fear, intruder. I merely brought it to mind."
Grudo became agitated. "Your tricks don't impress me." He pulled his dagger from its sheath. "Now, tell me where the treasure is."
"So, you are indeed thieves entering my home without so much as a warm greeting. How rude. I thought halflings were nicer people. Maybe you and your lover should exit my place now. Or I will be forced to use certain means to remove you."
Pippa's voice quavered. "How did you know about me? I didn't say anything."
There was a pause. Then, the gnome said "I have eyes all around you, thieves. I see your boyfriend with his weapon in hand. I see you shaking like you just escaped from an ogre's clutches. Such a lovely creature you are. He does not deserve you."
"He is not my boyfriend."
"Then, you are available? How lucky for me."
Grudo stepped forward. "Enough. Tell me where the treasure is."
The gnome was murmuring something under his breath.
Pippa cried "Wait!"
The male halfling grabbed the gnome's shoulder.
Suddenly, the gnome turned to face him. His features were twisted and repulsive.
Pippa let out a scream.
Grudo dropped his weapon.
A burst of colored light hit the male thief in the face.
Grudo stumbled backward and fell to the floor.
The gnome gazed over at Pippa.
"Codswinkle" she realized. "It's a name."
"My name, sweet creature. Your friend is sleeping. Now, we can be alone." Codswinkle started to walk towards her.
She tumbled to the side and dashed out the door and into the darkness.

Pippa groped around in the dark, struggling to get away from the creature known as Codswinkle. "How did he? How did he? How?"
Footsteps could be heard behind her.
She moved quicker, her breath coming in gasps.
Down the corridor, she heard "Where are you, my darling? Come out, wherever you are."
The halfling gaped in horror, falling back against the wall.
Codswinkle called out "Oh, darling? My love does not hurt all that much. Come into my arms. Let me hold you close."
Pippa slipped into a side tunnel.
The footsteps continued down the corridor.

She stepped forward and felt about with her hands. She could not see. And she was not alone. Somewhere, Codswinkle was still searching for her. "Now what? I can't move around in the dark. But, if I light my torch, he will find me. Stupid Grudo." She felt around in her pack and removed the flint and steel. She searched deeper and grabbed hold of a candle.
She scanned the darkened area for any sign of movement. Then, she began to scrape the flint and steel together. Soon, she held the lit candle in one shaking hand, using her other to cover it so that the light would not give her away.
Pippa walked along the corridor slowly. She shined the light just enough to see where she was going. Inside she thought "Stupid Grudo. I wonder what Codswinkle will do to him. How did the gnome know we were there anyway?" She saw an entranceway and passed through it. The room was full of wooden chests. There were weapons hanging on the walls. She saw suits of leather armor and a few of cloth. All in various sizes. She wondered "Did somebody else come down here? Did this stuff belong to them?"
From behind, she heard something hit the floor with a squishing sound.
Turning around, she saw the round object lying nearby.
Pippa looked at it. She did not want to see what it was. But her curiosity was just too much. She turned the candlelight on it, and could clearly make out Grudo's features on the severed head. She cried out and fell back, the candle falling to the floor, extinguished.
A torch ignited in the corridor. "Ah, my darling. There you are. All of us here together again. Your friend has his head down. But I can cheer you up."
Pippa cowered next to a wall.
The gnome came into view, holding the torch so that she could see his twisted face. "Your friend mentioned something about a treasure. Do you still wish to have it?"
"I...I...just want to leave."
"Leave? But we have only just become acquainted. You know, I do get lonely down here sometimes. I am a deep gnome. And down here is where I live. You are aware of my name, but have not told me yours."
"I won't tell you, you freak."
"Maybe I should guess." The gnome placed a finger on his chin. "Is it Pippa?"
"How? How did?"
"I thought I told you, silly. I have eyes everywhere."
She remembered the archway, and the sparkle that she had mistook for a gem.
"Now, Pippa. Come over here. I want to see you."
"You've already seen me" she accused.
"If you will not come to me, then I must come to you!" He lunged at her.
Pippa squeaked and tumbled away from his grasp. She dashed past him and into the corridor. Then, she ran blindly into the darkness.
Codswinkle started to laugh, clapping a hand on his thigh. The head of Grudo disappeared as if it had never been there. The gnome's face twisted and changed until his actual unremarkable features could be seen. "Another performance. My best one, yet. And what a fine experiment. I will have to update my notes."

Pippa did not stop running. She ran headlong into the dark, stumbling every now and then. Her heart beat faster as she ran farther. She found the arch and ran through it. She kept running, struggling to remember which way to go. Eventually, she did slow down, but she still kept going until the morning light began to shine down into the tunnels. The way was clear, now. She stopped to rest for a short while and then continued on.

A few days later and once more on the surface, Pippa was in the town that for now, she called home. She walked through the marketplace, taking in the sights and sounds. There were people all around her, and for some reason, that gave her a feeling of safety.
She was about to turn a corner, when she felt someone grab her arm. She screamed and tumbled to the ground.
Grudo stared down at her. "Pippa, it's me."
She screamed again.
Grudo looked around frantically, hoping they would not gain too much attention. "Pippa! Calm down. Please."
At first, she just stared at him. "Dog-boy? Is... is that you?"
"Of course it is. Now, calm down. You look as if you've seen a ghost."
"I thought you were... How?" She surprised him with a hug.
"What's wrong with you?" He sighed, placing an arm around her.
"How did you escape?"
"I don't know. I woke up, in an alleyway, in the middle of town. I don't know how I got there."
"So" she sniffed. "You didn't get the treasure, did you?"
"No, and the map is gone. Did you find anything?"
She shook her head.
"So, we did all of that for nothing?"
"Hey," she smiled. "At least we're alive."
"Yeah, I guess so."
"And your head is still on your shoulders" she giggled.
"What's so funny?"
"Oh, nothing."
"It sure doesn't sound like nothing. Did something happen while I was knocked out?"
"Nope. Not a thing."
"I don't believe you. Tell me."
"Nothing happened."
"Pippa..."
She giggled and started backing away. "Not one thing."
"Pippa!"
With that, she ran into the crowd of people.
Grudo scowled and ran after her.
© Copyright 2012 Donald White (dcwjr_73 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897050-Hidden-Deep