*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897689-A-Zombie-Story---For-Halloween
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Gothic · #1897689
Here is my attempt to do something different for halloween. Will appreciate feedback.
Psalm23:4 – Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me…


Senses came back gradually. Blood rushed back into the head, the deafening roar from just moments earlier whistling away. Feet found stability and stumbled to the door in the darkness; hands grabbed onto its frame, using it to remain upright and push into the hallway.

A picture frame on the wall passed, a bloody handprint smeared from right to left across its glass. The picture perfect family, smiles portraying a happy life. Fingers kept in contact with the wall, feeling the way.

The stairs creaked with each footstep, the sound lingering in the darkness. The smell of rotting flesh. The overwhelming smell of death. Feet step onto the first floor, the pool of blood warming the toes.

A groan from the right, hidden within the darkness of the room. Fingers searched frantically, blindly, for the door. Movement, fingernails on wood. The door handle was cold, cooling the skin. Shuffling feet ever nearer.

The door opened and rain swept into the house from the alley. Stumbling, struggling, the rain further soaking the blood-drenched clothes. A blinding light from ahead, burning the eyes. Hands came up to shield the eyes, attempting to grab and extinguish the light.

A voice, muffled, came from behind its source. A warm and sticky breath on the back of the neck, feet remained frozen. The voice up-ahead called out, louder the second time. An inhuman growl, spit or blood wetting the back of the neck. A burst of fire tore down the darkness and the explosion ruptured the silence.

Blood splattered the back of the head. The hot breath from behind gone. Back straightened and hands came up to be seen in the light. Covered in blood and dirt, cut, bruised, and shaking. The light fell, the shadows rushing back in to claim the alley.
© Copyright 2012 Windfell (krytens at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897689-A-Zombie-Story---For-Halloween