*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1898143-Emotion-and-Sensuality---Lesson-1
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Educational · #1898143
HSP Assignment for Emotion and Sensuality-- Lesson #1
Part I - Analysis



This short scene was a roller-coaster ride of emotions. There is the thrill of expectation followed by the disappointment of rejection. The opening paragraph offers a short glimpse of Reid's impressive physique. The combination of an 'easy smile' and 'arched eyebrow' produced nice impression for my mind.

The second paragraph teased me with hints of the couple's past. Clearly, they had been in a relationship which is brought out well in the last sentence where the transition of facial expressions is sketched well - momentary look of surprise that turned, spun into instant recognition. The word 'spun' works brilliantly because it would be the first time I have read about it in this manner. I know about spinning a ball or spinning a tale, but a face spinning into a myriad of emotions was the first time. Maybe, I will use this in some of my writings.

Polly's first words to him struck me for their acerbity. I did wonder though if anyone would speak such a complex sentence in real life. Maybe, the bitterness would still be there, but perhaps the words could have been simpler. The word ‘consigned’ is the one which really set me thinking. I would not use that in real life. This is just a thought.

Reid expecting her to know of his wife’s demise also didn’t make much sense. This could be because this is only a small excerpt of a much larger work. There are a lot of feelings in this sentence though. He is unhappy that she has not kept tabs of his whereabouts. Sounds like an example of male chauvinism. You ditch a woman and pray that she pines for you for the rest of her life while you coolly settle down with another woman. This is a misplaced sense of masculinity. I felt happy that she chose to be oblivious of his existence.

The author creates graphical images in the next few sentences. Adjectives like ‘reticent’ and ‘storm cloud blue’ leave an impression upon your mind.

Polly’s reaction to his wife’s death seemed cold and odd. I can understand that she has been spurned in the past, but the total absence of any softer emotions makes your lead look cold and distant. At the same time, Reid trying to woo a woman so close to his wife’s death also left me confused. Did he ever really love his wife? Was it a marriage of convenience? Did he marry under pressure from his family? Was it a loveless marriage? These are some of the questions that arose in my mind.

Reid’s reaction to Polly’s denial also comes out like an overreaction. She has not said no, but only asked for time until the next day. That isn’t much too ask. In fact, I fail to understand what he expects. Does he really expect Polly to rush into his arms? Seems like he did which gives a ring of incredulity to the characterization. The opposite also hold true. Polly would have been better off refusing his advances altogether. That would have made the reader want to know more about what goes on between this pair.

There a lot of effective physical descriptions at the end. Flipping the business card, turning on his heel and striding away allowed me to visualize all that was going on. Reid’s despondency is also brought out well.

On the whole, this was a smooth and lucid read that created some clear pictures in my mind with the use of vibrant words. The tension between the two lead players is palpable. I am surely intrigued enough to want to read about them a bit more.

WC 602 words




Part 2 - Metaphors, Similes, Adjectives

“Could you recommend a good golf course close by?” Reid’s well sculptured frame filled the doorway of Polly’s office. An easy smile played on his lips as he arched an eyebrow. “I was hoping for a recommendation. “ He was watching her expectantly; hoping her eyes were still as expressive as in years gone by.

Finding his way back to her office in the confusing old building was a trial. When the German immigrants built then later added on to structures, there was never any logical explanation as to the flow, and so it was in this building. Polly’s office was in the very bowels of the grand old edifice, but was ultimately accessible by other pathways than straight through the kitchen. He had been impressed at the strong devotion of Polly’s staff when he had asked to see her. When he had asked several employees to tell her he wished a word, all had emphatically implied that she was busy and could not be seen at the time. After the momentary look of surprise that turned, spun into instant recognition; apprehensive and untamed when he asked her about the cola, Reid could only presume that she gave word that she would not receive him.

Polly’s eyes widened visibly as she looked up from reviewing the documents before her. “I assume you and the rest of the gentlemen are consigned to seeking other amusements while your wives shop and indulge in our local spa services?” She assessed; settling her features into a more passive expression.

Reid momentarily looked away as if she had sucker punched him. She obviously had not heard that his wife had died earlier in the year.

“ You’ll want to try the Hidden Springs Resort course here on the edge of town.” The reply was aloof and remained all business. Signing a business card and extending it in his direction she added: “Just present this at the club house. Gerald will take fine care of you. Enjoy your day.”

Reid met her reticent look, sighed and shifted his gaze to the floor. He could not miss the battle behind those storm cloud blue eyes. It was a struggle to play it cool. Clearing his throat and shaking off his own unexpected emotions he said: “Have dinner with me tonight.”

“I have an appointment for early evening that I cannot reschedule. I would immensely enjoy the opportunity to dine with you and your lovely wife, I am sure. Maybe if you are not otherwise committed, plans could be made for tomorrow evening?”

Sucking in a sharp breath, Reid reacted to her chilly words as if she had openly slapped him. “Polly, my wife died of breast cancer just over nine months ago. Dinner would be just you…and me.”

“I am sorry, Reid. I had no idea.”

“Yeah, I got that part.” Reid ground out. Reaching for his card case, he flipped his business card onto the desk in front of her. “I will be here golfing for the next seven days. I would like to take you to dinner. Now excuse me, my brother and cousins are waiting.” Turning on his heel, he strode away and was quickly gone, leaving Polly to her bewildered expression.

The encounter had not gone as planned in any way. Polly had treated him with detached formality; a fairly appropriate response for their past history with the assumption that he was a married man. Reid’s heart was writhing painfully in his chest. She had not known he was a widower. The strength of his hopes for an easy reentry into her life had certainly been diminished

© Copyright 2012 Prof Moriarty (profmoriarty at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1898143-Emotion-and-Sensuality---Lesson-1