*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1898324-Why-does-Jesus-love-a-captive-audience
by Renge
Rated: E · Other · Religious · #1898324
A short essay on dealing with people trying to convert you on the subway.
Most of us have at one point needed to ride a bus or train to get somewhere. There are a number of annoyances that you can expect to encounter on your ride from point A to point B: Rowdy teenagers, Nasty seats, Crying babies, and bad traffic just to name a few. These are generally accepted as part of the public transportation experience and are given little thought after the ride is over. There is one annoyance that I can't seem to ignore so easily: the proselytizing of religious beliefs. Imagine for a moment, that you are enjoying a quiet train ride on the way to work. Suddenly, you hear shouting loud enough to distract you away from whatever article you were reading. There is a women in the center of the train car shouting to you and everyone else. She is talking about the joy of God's love and how all of you just need to believe in her god to solve all your problems. Moments later you hear clapping and Amens from a few other passengers. Her sermon starts to get heated and you start to feel uncomfortable. Her impromptu flock start eating up everything she says, even the things that seem contradictory. You've been transported from a public train into an fellowship meeting. You wish you could escape, but doing so would be inconvenient.You don't have a car so every day at a certain time you must board the metro. Not using public transportation is not an option if you want to keep your job and leaving the car you are currently riding in will make you late. At the end of the ride you feel slightly irritated because you were forced to listen to beliefs that were not your own. You wonder if the crowd would be so enthusiastic if the women were Muslim or Hindu. Despite your irritation and discomfort you push the memories away and devise a quick plan of avoidance for next time...after all what right do you have to infringe on her rights to free speech?

Although this is not a issue that can not be called dire I feel it must still be talked about. The right to free speech is protected and valued in this country, but I do not see the same protection and value given to the rights of the listener. It is for this reason that I want to speak out against the over reaching dominance of religion in the public space. This dominance is so overwhelming that it frequently interferes with the rights of both theists and non theists. Luckily there are laws that address the right of a listener to not be subjected to certain messages in various spaces. Public spaces that one cannot reasonably be expected to vacate in order to escape a certain message are protected under the Captive Audience doctrine. These spaces include the home and classroom but can also extend to health facilities and public transport.

So if its acknowledged that this is an actual issue, a violation of your rights then what can you do to stop this?
Going back to the context of public transportation the more obvious solutions would be directly confronting the person. However this may have a small chance of success because such people rarely care about how others may feel about their actions. The very act itself suggest a rejection of the beliefs and feelings of others in favor of an imagined higher purpose. It is not only a way to present an illegitimate argument but It also functions as a way to silence other views, to make invisible any difference in belief. The audience participates in this either passively through completely ignoring the speech or actively by becoming apart of the sermon. Because of this function a more successful way to combat the results of overzealous public religious speech( at least in the case of trains and such) may be to save the battle for another time. This battle is the battle for visibility and the acknowledgement of the right to not be religious( or simply to not be apart of the dominant religion). This can be done through activism and outreach or simple by being out and vocal about your positions. Complaining to station managers or system employees may not result in any action, but the act of speaking up can show that there is a problem and that there are people affected by it. This can be extended to other situations as well. Speaking up, taking action, and getting the right information out there to the public can alert the religious people who do care that you have rights and concerns and most importantly that you exist.
© Copyright 2012 Renge (abon90 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1898324-Why-does-Jesus-love-a-captive-audience