*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1898336-On-the-Brink
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1898336
A brave girl saves herself from evil plans...


On the Brink

         It was all happening too fast. She had just received her diploma in Special Education. Noreen was hoping to work at the local Special Ed. School of her town in North Pakistan. Marriage was certainly not in her agenda. Why would fate bring such a seemingly appealing proposal for her? Noreen knew she was not pretty. She was, as most of her formative years informed her dutifully, just average. Despite the constant reminder, while being around the fairer maindens of her college, Noreen was confident and knew how to hold her head up.
Why this proposal then?
         Her parents had been overjoyed at the news.
"The boy lives in Minnisotta, works at a computer firm and owns a house. What more do you want?" Noreen's Mother was irritated at her daughter's disdain.
"We got a reply after a whole year of placing an advertisement for you at the match-making site, why do you want to turn it down?"
"But Ma, I just finished college -" Noreen made a feeble attempt. "No ifs' and buts', Baba says, this boy seems genuine, he has done some investigation too, we both are happy with the proposal."
Noreen knew, being an only daughter was an increasing burden on her aging parents. With Baba ill with Tuberculosis from years of mining in Kohaat (a mountain region in North Pakistan), she knew she could not put off the wedding bells anymore. Resignedly, she agreed.
Munir was in his late 30's. He looked normal, except for his twitching eye brow, which he tried to cover with his finger.
© Copyright 2012 Restless Soul (zmughal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1898336-On-the-Brink