*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1899348-Golem-A-New-Life-Chapter-One
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1899348
if a man loses his only family, what would he do to get it back...
I have got a few reviews about it and thanking a few suggestions I will be rewriting this chapter, I'll get it up as soon as I can.  Thank you all for choosing this to read, please continue on with this chapter.  I will be putting a link for the rewrite later







    The man clutched his head, so weary he was that his hands felt as heavy as one of the stones he use to make the golems.  He groaned just lightly though for just thinking about the stones used for his trade sent his mind back to the task at hand.  Slowly lifting his head from his hands, he squinted at the sudden stabbing light from the room.  Becoming use to the lightly he cast a look around the room

  The man was sitting in a brightly lit room; there was a simple work desk with some models on the top and a chair in front. Besides those items the room held three other item, the first item was the cot he was sitting on.  Small and well worn from repeated used.

  The second was a small foot stool that was being used a make shift table.  Upon it was a thin book, he cast that away for now, there were other things that took priority in his mind right now.

  His eyes moved along the floor being drawn to the third item in his room, a small sturdy wooden block.

  About as big as two hands spans, just big enough for a person to comfortably stand up on. It stood on the ground in the middle of the room, making it so that anyone who entered would first look at that.  Also the fact that a person was standing upon the block did help draw eyes to or around it.  Thinking about it, the man shook his head before correcting himself

  'Not a person...at least not yet'.

  Standing up slowly, he let the kinks and aches relax as he moved towards the figure.  His part of this work was almost finish.

  Pulling a mask from his pocket he wrapped it tightly around his nose and mouth before reaching into his work belt which he even forgot he was wearing, and pulled out a small hammer and chisel.  The man set to forming the rest if he right arm, there was very little to do for the arm but the sheer strength of the material made it a long pain, staking possess.

  The Tr'Onic, which is magically infused marble, normally not used to make golems for the cost of the stone was hundred times more expensive.  Also the time to form one limb from the stone measured into months, more than enough time to make three or four golems of easier material. But the more unknown aspect of the stone was that it was deadly if ingested or inhaled. Only a man with a back bone of determination or desperation would even think about working with it.

  Wiping his brow he worked down the arm at a snails pace, for even thing must be perfect.  No flaws or errors must fall about this piece, for this was the last path he could that. His money was dry, his body wracked with pains from the dust produced from the magical stone he now worked with.  He had seen more than thirty winters but his body felt like been threw a thousand.

  Concentrating on final detail he slowly worked the lump of stone into a hand, no bigger than a small child's. 

  Sighing he stepped back looking at his work. Allowing himself a small smile he gazed at the stone dolls features, his memory served him well for the stone face greatly resembled her.  In front of him the doll was no bigger than a child, tiny fame and slim limbs.  The doll greatly resembled his child, only her hair for there was none, and the lifeless of her eyes told him that it was not her.

  Sighing again he banished his thoughts back to the task at hand.  working quickly he smoothed out the marble with a oil and a rag, the oil showed that it was expensive for it smooth out the magical stone quickly and without much effort. Finishing quickly, he took several stepped back and tossed the rag and now empty bottle of oil to the side.

  Taking a deep breath to calm himself, the man walked slowly to the cot and flipped it onto its side. Tied to the bottom of the cot was a leather bag, bulging slightly from the items it held. Taking care he untied the bag from the cot and held it tightly in his hands as he made his way back to the golem.

  Kneeling in front of golem he took another breath before removing the items from the bags.  One after another he took out herbs, chalks, different colored candles and then finally a large jar of sand from the bag.

  Wiping his brow again, he set the bag aside and reached for the book on the stool. Gently taking the fragile book, the doll maker opened it and slowly turned the pages so he wouldn't damage the book.  Every page he turned showed strange symbols and words.  Some the pages had writing he could read but it was hard to read for the words were almost gone faded away by time and disuse.  Every so often a picture was display in detail of people in mid spells.

  The man shivered, fearing the book.  Not for what it contains but for what others would do if they knew he even touched the book.  Magic had strict rules and this book broke all of them, spells of killing and curses, spells to summon demons and devils.  The doll maker was going to use none of those but the one spell he was going to use was considered far worse than anything else in this book.

  Jumping at a sudden and almost unnaturally loud noise from behind made the doll makers head snapped around towards a small almost unnoticeable window.  An owl seem to have found its way onto his window ledge, it gave another loud hooting noise showing that the animal did make the noise.

  "Go away!" he said in a loud but hushed whisper, his voice crack slightly he barely uses it now and days and the dust made his throat throb painfully.

  The owl cocked his head to the side and gave him a long stare. Judging that he was no threat the owl ruffled his feathers before moving further into the room.

  The man just glared at the bird for a moment before turning back to the book.  Finally coming to the page he was looking for, the doll maker set the book to the side and reached for the spell components.

  Using the sands he made twelve circles. One large one and three smaller ones and eight tiny ones, almost piles of sand instead of circles.  The three of smaller ones went outside the large circle forming a triangle connected by lines, inside the large circle went the tiny circles they sat in a circle inside the circle, no lines of sand connected these.

  With the circles finished he took the candles, only three but all different colors: red, green, yellow.  Placing the candles on each of the smaller circles he lit them one after the other first red then green and finishing with green.  The candles flickered for a moment before with a sudden spark; the flames of each candle grew bigger and shifted from orange red to their subjected color.

  His breathing increased as he watched the flames, knowing that he was doing everything perfectly.

  Forcing himself to go slowly he grabbed hold of the herbs, separating the herbs into the middle of the eight tiny circles.  Using the rest of the sand he covered the herbs, sealing them in a container of sand.

  The flame of the candles sparked again making each flame grow into a small camp fire.

  Quickly before the flames melted the candles, he drew a knife from his boot and laid his hand out in middle of the eight piles of sand.  Taking a deep breath he lifted his knife right above his own hand and taking just a second to looked at the golem.

  He let the air flow out of him in one breath, as he plunged the knife down threw his hand and into the hard wooden floor underneath.



© Copyright 2012 T. R. Jester (ryuujester at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1899348-Golem-A-New-Life-Chapter-One