*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1899466-Transmission
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1899466
Mr. Collins relives the memories of his life from Halloween and on..
“25 December, 2013 I do not know the time

For thousands of years, since the fledgling ape began to walk upright and question his surroundings, we have watched the stars.Billions of stars dart through the night sky, gleaming with the light of mystery. They filled our imagination with hope, beauty, and myth. Gods came from the firmament in heavenly resplendence, bringing with them the fruits of knowledge, judgment, and all it means to be human. Looking into the stars became a reflection of our innate curiosity, and whether people like us stared at the sky wondering if anyone like them was watching. Technology advanced, and we touched the reaches of space. The final frontier posed the question, “If we could reach space, is there anyone else out there that could too?”

During the late 1960's and 70's, a massive search for extraterrestrial intelligence began in the form of SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Life). Nothing of note was found until 15 August, 1977, when Jerry R. Ehman recorded a signal that would land itself in the pages of history. For 72 seconds the Big Ear Radio telescope of the Ohio State university recorded a signal of non-terrestrial origin. In his excitement, the man circled the alphanumeric sequence and wrote “WOW!” on the print out. It became the only concrete evidence of extraterrestrial communication. For decades, scientists attempted to find the signal again, but it was written off as being a fluke, an Earth signal reflected off space debris. When the dust settled and the excitement faded, the WOW! signal disappeared into obscurity.

At first, this new signal began like a whirring noise, much like the sound a blender would make...but when it got louder, it sounded much like music. It was so eerie, the sound was almost beautiful, yet was so much dif...”

**


Bzzzzt..!
“Ran out of tape...I cannot exactly say how long I had been talking when I finally stopped muttering to myself. I'll listen back later and fill in the blanks. Now all I do, is sit alone in this fallout shelter, eating canned peaches and drinking bottled water. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so damned cold and lonely. The blankets are scratchy and the food tastes bland and about the only entertainment is listening to these tapes and recording more. This voice diary is all that keeps me sane. After all, it is a Hell of alot better than that god awful sound I keep hearing, over and over and over. THERE IS NO ONE FUCKING LEFT, TURN IT OFF! TURN IT OFF!!! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!! Everyone is dead...everyone is dead...ev...”

**


“29 October, 2012, 9:42 am.

The kids looked especially cute today. Brenna looks adorable with her little wings, she'll be the envy of all the other little girls. Ben, oh he is sure to scare the neighbors when he creeps up. You know...he's at that age where he has to be the most boyish....HEY! Watch it you joker!! Ah, sorry honey...I was inches from being in a head on collision. Anyway, something strange happened today. While they were trying on their costumes, the radio began sounding odd. It was whirring, and then I could hear static in the music. I hope the old thing isn't broken. The song was something I had never heard of, it was so eerie. It has to be some new European thing. It was a little off putting, I hope the kids don't pick up on it.”

**


“31 October, 2012 10:38 pm.

They are sleeping like angels. Ben got a tummy ache from all that candy. Honest hun, I told them only one piece before bed, but you know kids. -Yawn- I am so sleepy, work has been a drag. They have been broadcasting that new tune all over the radios lately. It's a hit. It is some unknown artist who is just making new interesting music for the heck of it, they say. It really is unique. Every time it comes on, I turn it up. There are sounds in it I have never heard before. I wish you were around to hear it...you were always better at picking out things than me. Ah, the light from the television is really starting to hurt my eyes. I need some sleep, for some reason, I couldn't get to bed last night. It really is irritating. Oh, and the radio isn't broken. The song just sounds like that...all jumbled. I thought you'd like to know. Love ya, night..”

**

*Buzzing noises, a tape snaps into place, plays*


“Mr. Collins, put down the chair!”

“You get the Hell away from me! You're one of them aren't you! You're crazy like the rest of them!”

“We are only trying to help you, Mr. Collins. Now calm down...just come sit down and tell me everything. That's it, that's it...Good. Now what do you know of the signal.”

“W-what?”

“The signal, we know you know...don't act as though you can fool us.”

"I...I don't know what you are talking about."

"We know, there is no sense in hiding it from us. But how are you able to ignore it."

"Hey you watch it...I said back up! WHAT IS THAT THING."

-clicking sound- "Mr. Collins, relax. We just want to see how your brain manages to ignore the message."

"Message? What message!"

"Once you know it, you will be one with the collective. And it is beautiful."

"I said GET BACK." -chittering- "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!"

"Get him on the table."

-scratching sound-

“No..no, WHAT ARE YOU DOING! HELP!! HELP!!! SOMEBODY!!!” -Crash, shatter- “NOO! NOOO!!! HELP ME! HELP!”

“Strap him down securely...now...we are going to open him up and take a look.”

" HELP! HELP!"

-talking, indistinct-

-whirring- “What the FUCK is that!!!? Get it aw...Ahhhhhhh! Stop! It hurts! It h...

**



“18 November, 2012 5:10 pm

I got the kids from the sitter today. You remember Mrs. Darvil next door? She died. There was caution tape everywhere. I tried to make the kids look away, but I think Brenna saw. God babe, there was so much blood...everywhere. What the Hell is happening? We barely sleep. Since we got in, Brenna hasn't said a word. She went directly to her room. I want to go talk to her, but how do you explain suicide to a six year old? Molly, I swear if you were here...you could do it. You could always do anything. I'm going to go talk to her soon, honest. I just need a few minutes... There was so much of it, all red.

Jenna and her husband, you remember them? They were out there when she did it. They said she hacked open her throat with a steak knife and ran around begging for help. If you were going to kill yourself, why would you b....Gah, I can't take this fucking song everywhere! -Crash- There, there...better. I guess we won't have T.V for a while. I...I can't do this anymore!”

**


“2 November, 2012 6:30 am.

It's been all over the news this morning. Scientists, news anchors, radio DJs...they all say they have no control over that weird song that keeps playing everywhere. I haven't slept in a couple of days. It's really freaking me out. No one knows where this damn thing came from. Oh, Listen it's on..”

“Radio telescopes have been picking up the signal for a few days now. We hadn't hoped to frighten the public, but we had no idea of the implications.

“Do you have any idea what the signal’s purpose is?”

“Well the thing is, it's not simply an isolated incident. It is radios everywhere. The phenomena is international. Even the most rural areas of Africa are able to tune in to the transmission. HAM radios, weather radios, cellular phones...anything can be a conduit.”

“Doctor Schroeder, is it true the signal may be of extraterrestrial origin?”

-laughs- “Now, no one is saying that just yet. We could be dealing with a hacker of some sort. All I can say, is we “egg heads” are looking into it. Don't be so quick to call Mulder and Scully.”

"Thank you Doctor Schroeder, this has been K.." -click-

“Ah, did you hear that shit, honey? They don't want to admit the signal is alien. I wish people would pay more attention to their gut. Come to think of it, I haven't much slept in a few days. For some reason, I feel very on edge...maybe I just don't want to go to work. I feel forgetful... Well, I love you babe. I need to get ready. I am making your favorite tonight for dinner, take-out.” -laughs- “I am just too tired to really do much, besides...the kids are a bit frightened by this nonsense. Maybe Chinese will cheer them up.”

**



-sobbing-

“I didn't...she just ran out in front of the car. Oh god, what do I do? She's dead, our daughter is dead. She's dead..dead..what do I. HEY, you get the fuck away from her!”

“She's gone to see them. We have to take her. You come too...we're all going. To the mountains. Everyone will be together. They'll come and get us. It is so beautiful.”

“I said get the hell away from us. I am calling the cops! Come back here!”

“You......give me...argh! No! Get...off. You....find...LET HER GO!!! No!...stop!...Gun...bastard...Ben!!...car...lock...me...NOT MY SON!”

**


“21 December, 2012 10:00 am.

I can hear screams from time to time. I don't know how I got here.” “Grah! NO AHHHHHH!!!” “Oh God...I can hear them. My head hurts so bad. It's too bright in here to see. I..I want people to know what happened. If I...If I..Why did they leave me with this old thing? I just need to keep talking, that's all. If I keep talking, then I can describe what I see. White walls. Yes, white everywhere. It looks so clean. Whirring. I can hear something like a table saw. That's exactly what it is. Or is it buzzing. It feels like my chest is about to burst. -groaning- My heart is beating so fast, I can hear it. My eyes are stinging...my head...Where am I? How did I get here...I don't remember.. There's blood. BLOOD! It's all over me! Get it off, get it off!! It...It..Uagh!”

“I feel so sleepy...like, it's getting black. I don't know what that is, the smell. It smells like..like vomit. Did I vomit? I don't remember that..that...that sound. That damn signal again. It's like a tune you know all the damn words of, but there is no one speaking!! I feel so tired...didn't I just wake up? I don't want to sleep. Don't make me dream it again. Brenna! Ben!! Time to get up for school! Oh why do I feel so tired...I can't remember..They can stay home from school today, I am just going to go back to sleep...I am so tired, maybe I should go back to sleep. I am so tired...I am so tired...”

**

BZZZT...

“There is something crawling in the attic... I couldn't stay at home. You understand. They took our children from us. There were lights in the sky for the third night straight. Some people came in and tried to take the house from me, but I wouldn't let them. I...I wasn't strong enough to move the bodies. They're still on the den floor. The woman was easy, I sneaked up on her. You'd be surprised what you could do to survive. There were some knives in the kitchen. I put it in the back of her neck...there was so much blood everywhere, that I couldn't pull the knife out. I vomited. The smell of her blood...hearing it trickle on the floor...it was too much for me. My eye was busted when the man rounded the corner. He was screaming about his wife, hitting me. He was being too loud...if I let him be so loud, they would find me like they found everyone else. He had to die...I...Oh God what have I...

It stopped finally. God it stinks in here..I can't take the smell of those bodies down stairs. I thought I would be a man enough to cope, but the stench is too much to endure. Uah! Great, I just vomited in the bed. Where am I going to sleep now. -clambering- I will sleep under it. The lights floating about outside cannot possibly find me if I stay here. They can't see. I shut the curtains. Hehe...who's smarter now?

What was that? I hope you can still hear me. I...I hear them in the attic. Scratching, scratching...always scratching at the wood. They want to get me, take me away. Am I the only one running from the signal? Some nights, I swear I hear our children call my name...but it's just that damn sound.. Always playing, on the televisions...on the radios. The ring tones...it's everywhere. Like the emergency signal from Hell! HELL! That's where I am. THERE! There it is again. Can you hear it honey? The scraping. I don't know how much longer I can hide from them...I need to leave this house tonight. I have to go now, or else they will get me. I can hide in one of the cars on the street. Everyone else abandoned them..”

**



“27 November, 2012

I don't know what time it is. The CDC has gotten involved. There seems to be an insomnia pandemic of sorts sweeping the nation. No one has slept much in weeks. It's all quite frightening. There have been rash strings of mass suicides. The government won't say much, but we all know it's because of the signals. I haven't sent Ben and Brenna to school since Mrs. Darvil... Good thing I didn't. It seems like she was the first of many. There are bodies in the streets. With so many people killing themselves, emergency responders are afraid to touch the cadavers. They think the bodies are infected with some virus. We all know it's because of that strange music that won't stop playing. It's like people are compelled to not turn off their radios. I keep saying, if they turn everything off, they will be okay.

I am trying to be strong for the kids...but I really don't know what to do. I haven't been able to sleep in days. My head hurts most of the time, and I find myself forgetting things. When I do fall asleep, I dream terrible events. People, eating me alive, but they aren't really people...something else. A saw, a large saw cracking open my sternum while I watch. It seems so real, I can feel it. The kids, they dream it too and wake up screaming. I keep seeing a man, he is all alone wandering the streets, looking for abandoned cars to hide in. But no matter where he goes, these men in white always find him.

Are we sick? If everyone is having the same dream, is it possible that we are all imagining that signal too? What if a virus is making us hear these things, and not sleep and kill ourselves. Is that even possible? I mean...it's not like they can figure out where this damn signal is coming from. I just hope I don't kill myself too..

**


“Get them off!! They are biting, biting! Always biting...they are pulling the skin off! Please, I'll do anything, don't let them eat me! I don't want to die like this, don't let that eat me! Ahhh!! They feel like little needles, their teeth are like...PLEASE let me go.”

“Calm down Mr. Collins, all we are doing, is trying to help you. This is for your own good.”

“Putting these monsters on me is helping me!? Get them the fuck off! Please, please..they are hurting me. I...Their teeth are scraping against my bones!! They are boring into my skull, my skull! It burns! It burns. GET THEM AWAY FROM ME!! Why are you doing this to us! You are human too! Why are you killing us! They, they have you. It's the signal, they've turned you into them. Where is my son! Where is my son!!!”

“Mr. Collins, please refrain from screaming. We are almost done here, just deal a little bit longer okay?”

“THEY ARE EATING ME! I can feel the teeth scraping against my bones! Do you know how that feels! AHHHHHH!! Get them off of me! Please! I beg you to get them off of me.”

"Sh...sh...sh...don't put up too much a fuss, or we'll have to look at you further."

"No! No, I'll be good, I...I SWEAR."

-silence, chittering-

“All done, Mr. Collins. We will leave you alone for the rest of the night. Do sleep well.”

“NO!! You can't just leave them on me! Don't leave me in the dark with these things! Please!! Please!!”

-loud sobbing-

**

"24, December 2012 5:45 am

Molly, you remember how excited the kids would get Christmas Day? It was funny though, Ben was always afraid of the idea of Santa Claus. I suppose anyone should be, considering he supposefly would break into people houses...anyway, I am rambling. To be honest, I cannot say why I keep making these tapes. Is it for me, or for the last of us to find long after those creature devour me. I can't help but think it's a silly hope that one day, things will be back the way they were and... oh fuck it, everyone's dead but me anyway. Even you...

"14, December 2012 12:14 am

I'm all alone now. I can't say I am depressed. I feel relieved almost. The kids are in a happier place. I keep having the same dream. When we die, we become one with this... collective. One thought, one soul, a hive mind. Never again will we hurt. Molly, are you there waiting for me among the stars. It's so cold and lonely here...I..can't remember. Where am I? I feel so scared. I am sitting here. It's dark, almost too dark to see. I dreamed of being eaten alive again today. I couldn't move for hours, as if the sinewy bits of my muscle had been truly torn away from my bones.

There was a man. He was all alone, haggard. He tried to save me, tell me how to pull away but I didn't listen. I asked for his hand, but he told me to learn myself. What does that mean? What am I supposed to learn. It was like me, staring at me. I...I can't remember. My head hurts all the time, and it's so hard to remember things. I want to sleep, so I can dream of the man. He tells me what to do, but I don't listen. I can't even tell why I don't listen, maybe because he looks like me. The man says he's afraid, afraid that it will all end. But I can't hear what he says next because I can hear, feel my bones shatter. AGH! IT HURTS..they...they're ripping my limbs off. The skin is stretching...bone...snapping. Tearing, tearing.. MAKE THEM STOP!! Pop, pop, pop. Their teeth is scraping the bone. Opening my belly...my intestines. I look so ugly on the inside. URK! Stop! STOP! Put them back in!!! Not my tongue! Ple..pleath!! Pleaaa...

**


“I don't know what today is...or yesterday for that matter. I can hear them...right above me. Always searching, always looking. The lights are everywhere now. There is no reason for me to come out of the dark. Everyone else is gone anyway. This is my last tape, and I only have one more can of beans left. Maybe someone, someday will find these tapes. I want them to know what happened to me. My memory isn't so good anymore, I forget so much. But I will never forget that signal. I don't know what all has happened since I hid away...soon I will find out. But I am afraid, I won't be able to share with you what I see. Molly, I love you so much. Maybe if you were here, I would be strong enough to survive, but it's just too hard without you.

I hear the little monsters clicking about up top. I bet they are looking forward to finishing their meal. I'll give 'em something sour..I'll...wait. What..what was that? That sound...that damn sound. It's the signal again. I don't want to hear it anymore! Please! PLEASE! No...no they found me. That's it. They are coming again. Please, please stop it. I don't want to he..--

**


Patient: Marshall Collins
Patient Number: F2133
Age: 38
Birth-date: 06/03/1971
Admission Date: 10/31/2009
Reason for admission: Paranoid delusions of alien invasion.
Primary Physician: Dr. Alois Schroeder
Diagnosis: Catatonic Schizophrenia

“The patient is experiencing the effects of a catatonic schizophrenic state. The symptoms were of a relatively rapid onset. As of now, no treatments are effective. The patient believes that after the human race was exposed to a mysterious signal from outer space, they subsequently went insane and committed mass suicide on an international scale. The survivors then being round up and converted to alien hosts, or fed to insect like creatures. Most days, the patient remains in a catatonic state, sometimes coming to and pitching violent fits. He believes the year is 2013, after a mass holocaust of the human race. This is obviously not true.

In his path, the patient leaves a wake of bodies, including his children Ben(aged 11) and Brenna(aged 6), as well as Phyllis Darvil(Aged 62) and the couple Jenna and Brad Michaels(Aged 32 and 36 respectively).

Anomalies: The patient does appear to have unexplained, abnormal brain function. The cause of this is unknown and any attempts at study are met with conundrum. As of now the case remains a mystery. Without doubt this mental illness is caused by the aforementioned brain function, but how the patient became afflicted remains an enigma.

**

-static, loud, tape skipping-

"Dad...Dad? DAD!! What did you do!" -crying, static-

-static, louder, silence-

"Do not worry. She has gone to the collective. And it is beautiful."
© Copyright 2012 Engetsu (engetsu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1899466-Transmission