*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1900740-On-a-rainy-night-the-wandering-sight
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #1900740
Sometimes the most traveled roads looks deserted giving rise to breath taking experience.
On a heavy rainy night, jack decided after thinking for enough while to step out as he had to meet perry where he had called up before in the evening and told them he would join them for dinner. The last time they had dinner was a year back after that both the families were occupied with their work and time never permitted them to catch up though they were excited to meet up and run over the stories around them which was due for a long time. This time jack had to visit alone as his wife cathy was in her parents place preparing for her only sisters weddings had taken up with all the preparation part for the wedding, cathy was all pumped up to be in the center of action for her dear sisters wedding which was the last big occasion in their family.

When jack stepped out he was a bit apprehensive but as he had assured them he would be there at all cost so was left with no other choice but to be there. The rain showed no signs of slowing down was pouring from all the sides where the sky was fully surrounded and the roads were not visible even with full lights of the street lamps and the car, there were hardly few vehicles that were seen on this night which made jack more nimble on the situation to take the wheel any further. The day was harder to him had to complete enough piled up files which were left unchecked for long and was instructed by his boss to send it duly completed before the evening so had to start the day an hour early unlike other days and to his bad luck his secretary was on leave for family reasons which made the job lot more harder for him where all things fell on him on the very day had less sleep in the day and badly had to call off the day for sleep which wasn't the case.

He had to drive a long distance to perry's place which was over 30 minutes on a regular day which was not the case today the rain being in full swing it would had taken not less than an hour in the best case to reach and had no company with him which looked odd to him. He had called up in the last minute many times in the past to cancel the dinner n promised them would join them sooner again, calling again would have made less sense where perry's family were their best neighbors before moving to the other side of town. His wife had called him twice in the day to remind on the dinner though he was reluctant, he had to join them and had told him not to cancel in the last minute as he had done several times before so was left with no other option and had to meet them in dark is what he thought.

The whole day had gone rusty to jack where he was left with less sleep to begin with and had engagements till the late night which had stretched him out fully to the last ounce left in the body. His eyes were sunk down even when bright light of vehicles from the other side of the road was hitting him on face, the poor eyes had seen enough light in the day and was not keen to see anything more for the day. The road was not that clear to him where the rain showed no signs of cooling down could be the biggest rain that he had seen in the year and was freezing cold nothing else could be heard other the sound of the water, the horns of vehicles were at times bleakly alarming which would raised the heart beat of any person who had good shape of health and this day had gone totally out of his control had very little to complain on anything else other than himself.

Half way through his ride would have narrowly missed few lanes which rarely happened to him as he had ripped past these roads for most part of his life where on a fine day would have ripped past with eyes closed on all the by lanes. The whole town had gone silent, very few vehicles buzzing around and there were hardly any soul that were visible even at a far distance made his pulse to beat at a rapid rate had no clue on what to do other than seeing the road that was taking him further. He had traveled in more treacherous roads in his youth the roads that were less traveled now that age has taken some toll on him unlike this day even the most traveled route looked to be strange where it seemed to him there were few things that were similar while most of it looked new which was strange but again he was late in the night and had to reach the place.

The yanking of the horns now began to sound more louder were pinching the ear drums than before though the rain was as loud and thunderous as it was for the whole night which was peculiar to him but though of not taking all this in mind and the only thing which was important for him was to get through these lanes in quick time. He never wanted to recollected anything that has gone in the day and not to bring any person to his mind where this day was something different to him when he had thought of many rough days that he had seen but this is totally out of line experience where was now alone and had no one to talk to. Now few things began to appear like the one he had seen in the past the same houses he had gone past before where the trees had covered most part of the sky and there was light only in one house on the road and his dear friend was waiting with an umbrella near the gate.
© Copyright 2012 lambert (lambert at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1900740-On-a-rainy-night-the-wandering-sight