*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901405-The-Last-of-Its-Kind
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1901405
A scientist makes a startling discovery...
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the words: Horns, Money, Gun

The Last of Its Kind

Dr. Angelica Dakota took the ancient artifact out of the pouch hanging around her neck. It had a triangular shape with two sides being longer than the third. It was bright white; as if it had fallen from its owner only moments ago. Carbon dating placed its age to be roughly a million years before than the oldest known dinosaurs.

Looking at the artifact, she reflected on the whirlwind that was the last few months. First came the discovery of the ancient scrolls along with the unearthing of the artifact she now held in her hand. Next came the University’s Board of Directors and then on to Congress in search of the money needed to follow-up on the promise the discovery held.

Now she stood at the doorway to the past. Translated scrolls indicated the artifact would grant them access to a room hidden behind the door. Speculation had been all over the map. Some guessed that she would find smallish pre-dinosaurs or aliens. One popular guess was that they would find a room full of similar artifacts. Since the artifact looked like a rhino horn, the room was often called the Room of Horns. The most popular guess was that the room would be either empty or not exist at all.

Carefully, she slid the artifact into the identically shaped indentation in the door.

At first, there was nothing. Next, a deep rumbling caused one of the security men to raise his gun; ready for action.

The giant door swung open and the history of the world changed.

Angela’s flashlight settled onto a giant creature; perfectly preserved over a millennium. She knew immediately that the artifact wasn’t a horn. It was a tooth.

Slowly, she brought up her camera and took the first picture of the last dragon.

Word Count 299

© Copyright 2012 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901405-The-Last-of-Its-Kind