*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901433-NaNoWriMo-To-be-named-later
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Entertainment · #1901433
I am going to name it later, but suggestions are welcome. Hope it reads well.
Haley had never felt so lost in her life. She looked all around and found some familiar objects in the forest where she was standing. The tall trees seemed to cover up the sky. There were a few limbs in the path that she was walking on. A little fox ran across her path and stopped to look at her. Then as fast as he appeared, he disappeared into the other side of the path.
“I feel almost like Alice in Wonderland, but ….” she started to think to herself.
She started to walk again slowly, hoping that she could see through the trees or anything to guide her out. Then from above, there was a scream from a hawk that was coming towards her with its sharp talons ready to grab her to carry her away. She opened her mouth to scream herself and then,
“Ring-ring-ring” came the sound of the telephone to waken her from a dream that seemed to have no good parts.
“Hello?”
“Yea Haley. Are you okay?” asked her boyfriend, Farris. “I thought that we were going to have all day together and you have not shown up.”
It took one second for Haley to get her bearings and remember that she had a day off from the hospital and Farris, her new boyfriend was in town from the tour of duty he had completed.
“Oh I am sorry, but last night I stayed up with a friend who had a problem. She was pretty out of it and I felt that I could help her.”
“Well save a little of that TLC for me. Okay?”came the low, sexy voice over the phone.
“You got it. And I’ll be at the park in about 20 minutes.”
“Okay, but if you are late, I am going to start my bicycle ride without you.” replied Farris. There was a click on the other line.
Haley swung her feet around and tried to find her ragged slippers. She felt only the carpet. At the doorway, sat her little dog, GC on one of her slippers. Haley hopped out of bed and slowly walked towards GC to get that slipper, but as if on cue, GC picked it up and ran down the hallway.
“GC! Come back you little thief!” she said with half a laugh.
GC ran all the way into the kitchen and put the slipper next to his food bowl.
“Oh now you little brown haired con dog, you want to trade a slipper for food.”
“Arf. Arf.” Barked GC and then he turned around two times in a circle as if he was doing a victory dance.
Haley grabbed her slipper and looked around for the other one. Usually GC had played with both of her slippers by the time she woke up.
Haley pulled her red hair behind her ears and started to put water into a whistling tea kettle. As she looked out the window, she saw a young man walking past it with a newspaper. A sudden thought occurred to her that she had just subscribed to the paper and had missed it for the last two days because it had been stolen.
She raced to the door and looked at the sidewalk and only the outside cat, Shadow was there waiting for her own breakfast. She ran to the corner of her lot and saw the young man look over his shoulder.
“Give me my newspaper back!” she shouted.
The young man began to run down the street until he came to a corner. He turned and disappeared.
Haley walked back inside and slammed her door. GC ran and hid under the table. Her eyes were looking for any sign to determine if this was a new game or trouble.
“Oh, GC it’s not you.”
Haley went back into the kitchen and pulled out some cat and dog food. She also remembered that she had just a little of her favorite juice left that she wanted to finish. In one of the containers there was left over pizza that she had hoped was still good. When she opened the container, she saw that it had dried up.
“Pizza, you are DOA, dead over abalone.” She closed the container and threw it back into the refrigerator.
“Ring-ring-ring”
“Now Farris, don’t you think this is overkill on the bicycle ride?” she thought as she picked up the kitchen phone.
“Haley! I need you!” came the loud voice from the earpiece. This was not Farris or her good friend Joanna. It was her sister, Arlette. She seemed to be screaming and crying at the same time.
“Wait, Arlie. Calm down. What is the matter? Are you okay?” she tried to get out over her sister’s hysterical phone call.
© Copyright 2012 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901433-NaNoWriMo-To-be-named-later