*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901646-NaNoWriMo-story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Entertainment · #1901646
This is the second part of the NaNoWriMo novel. I'm working on it.
NaNoWriMo story cont.
“Haley the world has just come to an end for me!” she said in a subsiding voice. There was a beginning of some sobs with what must be tears on the other end.
“Arlie what is wrong?”
“Joel,” sniff, sniff “has asked my worst enemy, Mia,” sniff, sniff “ to the homecoming dance.” There was a few seconds of silence. “And Bambi my source told me that he was planning to ask me.” Then there was a choking and more crying sounds on the other end.
“Well that is too bad. And I told you not to trust rumor monger Bambi.” replied Haley with her hand reaching for the bowl she just filled to give to GC.
“I will be the laughing stock of the whole eleventh grade. I’ll be stared at. I’ll be…”
“You will survive.” Haley interjected as she leaned over to put the bowl on the floor. “Do you think you are the only girl who has had this happen to?” she waited for a response and then continued when she got no answer. “Why don’t you go with another boy like Roger? He comes to our parent’s house all the time to tutor Connor and say ‘Hello.’”
“But he’s not popular.” whispered Arlette.
“Okay then get a group of girls together and go with them.”
“Are you out of your mind!” came Arlette’s voice loud and clear. “I’d rather stay at home than be seen without a date.”
“When then it’s settled. You are not going to the homecoming. You don’t have to buy a dress and get your hair” there was a loud click on the other line.
Haley put the receiver down and smiled. She knew that some way, her precious baby sister would get a date and go to that dance. Arlette may be self-centered, but she was not down for long. She was resourceful. She also probably would be the source of some juicy rumors about her ever-loving former boyfriend, Joel. She really felt sorry for Joel because she knew his father, Doctor Russell, who was one of the best ER doctors in the city.
Haley looked at the clock and saw that she had ten minutes to get GC outside to make his usual deposit on the grass and ride her bicycle to the park. She hoped that Arlette would not think of something else to tell her or be part of her emergency. She scooped some cat food into a bowl for the cat and hurried into her room to get her clothes on. Today was such a beautiful day that she would not need a coat or long pants. She heard her stomach growl and decided to eat a snack bar and hope that it would supply her with enough energy for the morning. It was Farris’ turn to decide which route to ride today. However she might hint that a short route would be ideal.
Everything went according to plan. Haley sailed down the street to the park to meet the man who saved her from a lost credit card that fell out of her pocket. She remembered that he ran after her. She thought that he was going to attack her but instead some inner voice told her to stop and listen to the man. It didn’t hurt that he was dressed in a T-shirt that said, “I love America! How about you?”
Haley stopped her bicycle and looked all around for Farris. She even thought that his name was neat. He explained that Farris was Greek for ‘rock.’ And he seemed like a person who was as strong as a rock. And there was no doubt that he was proud of both of his parent’s heritage. His mother was Greek and his father was Italian. Marcello Aldo Costo had worked in several small jobs after he arrived in America and met the future Mrs. Costo. But from the construction worker to building inspector to realty company owner that grossed six figures, Mr. Costo and his large family was a wonderful example of from rags to riches in the community on the other side of town. Farris could have any job he wished but he felt the call to serve his country and he answered it. He never flaunted richness or snobbery. He treated all people as he wished to be treated, with respect.
After a few minutes, Haley thought that she had not got here in time and Farris left to start his ride. She saw other couples riding bicycles pass her by. One man had two of his children in a small ride-mobile thing. Then there was a lady who was walking three dogs on their own leash. One stopped to sniff her and the lady pulled the dog onward. But no Farris. She felt in her pocket for her cell phone and discovered that she had left it on the charger at home.
“Well Haley, you aren’t going to keep many boyfriends if you can’t communicate with them.” She said to herself. She got back on her seat and started down the path to see if she could catch up with Farris. It was only fair that she try to make up for missing him by showing her athleticism.

© Copyright 2012 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901646-NaNoWriMo-story