*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901710-5-Ways-to-be-Productive-with-your-Career
Rated: 13+ · Article · Career · #1901710
Find out ways to be more productive at your job in order to enhance your career.


         You want to move up in your career. No one wants to stay where they’re at; making a meager living piddling office work that can be done the same exact way by the rest of the entire corporate globe. But how do you get from the bottom of the pyramid to the top; how do you work your way to the top of the industrious ladder? These five tips can certainly get you started.

1. Boost Your Confidence

         Nothing says “I want a damn promotion and I want it now” like how big your ego is. Of course, it wouldn’t be seen wise to actually verbally curse at your employer – all you have to do is show them through your attitude. Be confident. Think of all your best qualities, your substantial attributes, and all the things that could possibly make you better than everyone else.

         It’s basic science, really. Do you ever see a CEO with low self-esteem? Or on the other side of the spectrum, do you see an arrogant, absolutely self-loving minimum wage employer? The facts are simple – if you want to move up, you need to start with increasing your confidence.

2. Dress to Kill

         Not literally, of course. Murder isn’t a very good tactic in moving up in the corporate world. Rather, dressing for success is another key ingredient for taking one step higher on the metaphorical ladder of success. Ever see a world leader in industry looking sloppy? No, you haven’t. They dress as if they’re about to be mobbed by the paparazzi’s camera every time they step outside.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t enjoy wearing the standard “monkey suit” or looking too formal for every day wear. If you want to move up in your career and your income, this is an important step.

3. Set Goals

          You don’t want to be the guy at the office who never gets his work done or procrastinates till the very last minute. When you make a promise to your employer, carry it out immediately. If you know you need to complete an assignment, finish it before you forget about it. Don’t ever avoid anything; it can easily destroy your reputation, piece by avoided piece, until you no longer have an opportunity to move up on the corporate ladder – you’ll be stuck.

         Another important thing to remember is that there is never a small goal. Think of it like every single assignment you do, and how quickly you do it, will help your career overall. Finish everything on time, if not before then, and do it right the first time. You’ll be looking at a promotion in no time.

4. Desire More

         Don’t be comfortable with the assignments you’re given – always thirst for something bigger, bolder; harder to achieve. Make an effort to want more, and your employers will see that. You don’t ever see an overachiever at the bottom of the ranking system – it just doesn’t work that way.

         When faced with an easy task, ask your employer for more work. Don’t take it as a slack-off day, but a day to further improve your career track. When you’re faced with nothing to do and still half the day left, demand to do extra. This will guarantee promotion in the future, as you’ll officially look more dependable as a person and therefore appear capable of having a higher rank in the corporate system.

5. Have Friends in High Places

         Sometimes the only way to achieve a promotion or raise is by becoming more than just colleagues with your higher-ups. Get to know the corporate community. Go on company outings, learn more about them – but also know what point is crossing the line. It’s important to keep the distance still, so a business friendship is the only thing you’ll be able to muster. One of the biggest mistakes in the corporate world is building a relationship between your employers that’s too unprofessional. You don’t want to go down that road.

         Another tip to build a business-like relationship is to simply throw a compliment around every now and then. Disarm your disgruntled boss or please your flustered employer with a charming compliment. It can be anything. Wow, what great taste in shoes you have. Hey, I like what you’ve done with your hair. My, it looks like you’ve lost weight! This will not only improve their mood, but it will make them more akin to like you over time. A charming employee is the first one who’ll get the promotion – just don’t be too much of a kiss-up. No one likes a kiss-up.

         Though climbing the figurative pyramid of success and furthering your career can be time-consuming and difficult, it’s absolutely worth it in the long run. You achieve a greater reputation and a much higher income. By possessing the skills necessary for climbing up the ladder of opportunity, you’re ready for your employers to finally take notice of you, and get the raise you really deserve.

© Copyright 2012 Rachel Sims (rachel_sims3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901710-5-Ways-to-be-Productive-with-your-Career